The Student Room Group

Repeat prescription at uni?

Do university students still get free prescriptions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Only if they're under 19, have a HC2 (not HC3) form, receive certain benefits or hold a medical exemption (medex) card.
Original post by OU Student
Only if they're under 19, have a HC2 (not HC3) form, receive certain benefits or hold a medical exemption (medex) card.

I am 22 and a student and I have a HC2 certificate (obtained by filling out a HC1 form) which entitles me to free prescriptions
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
What's a HC2 form?

Reply 4
Original post by groovyangel2008
I am 22 and a student and I have a HC2 form which entitles me to free prescriptions

Any ideas in where I can get one of these forms, what sorts of things to they apply to (ongoing medical conditions)
Thanks

Original post by NDD12
What's a HC2 form?

This:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:redface:fficial&biw=1366&bih=649&tbm=isch&tbnid=tLUW0CkOqFkiMM:&imgrefurl=http://www.su.rhul.ac.uk/support/health/hc1/&docid=fngKzGLb9P_jkM&imgurl=http://www.su.rhul.ac.uk/pageassets/support/health/hc1/HC1-form.JPG&w=595&h=842&ei=WBMxUPvKB6XS0QXkvIDQDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=177&vpy=121&dur=93&hovh=267&hovw=189&tx=119&ty=128&sig=108104888079790913077&page=1&tbnh=144&tbnw=102&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:70

You can get it from most pharmacies. Fill out the HC1 form send it to the address that they tell you to, if they think you need help with health costs they will send you a HC2 certificate which you can just show whenever you have a prescription and you won't need to pay for it. The HC2 certificate lasts for a year but you can apply again before the certificate expires so that they can assess your financial situation again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by NDD12
What's a HC2 form?

HC2 is a certificate that entitles you to help with health costs, and is based on income. The majority of students are eligible :h:

Original post by beck010
Any ideas in where I can get one of these forms, what sorts of things to they apply to (ongoing medical conditions)
Thanks

You can order one online here.

It depends on the condition. You'll get free prescriptions, eye tests and dental work on an HC2 certificate. They don't last long IIRC and the form is massive, but if you have to get a lot of items on prescription, or need long treatment at the opticians or dentists etc it will help massively.

There's another certificate which covers certain medical conditions (epilepsy, medication or insulin contolled diabeties or thyroid problems are examples) which is a medical certificate. There's an online list which states which conditions are for the medical certificate, but it's worth asking your GP if you think you are entitled to one.

[QUOTE="groovyangel2008;39105480"]You can get it from any pharmacy./QUOTE]
Not every pharmacy will have them. Most will but others may not keep them.
(edited 11 years ago)
You do if you live in wales :biggrin:
Reply 8
Thank you!:smile:

Reply 9
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You do if you live in wales :biggrin:

Unfortunately not... Isle of wight :smile:

I think your GP surgery, dentist and job centre have HC1 forms too.
Reply 11
Hi,

If you'd like to have the HC1 form posted to you, please visit the direct link https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/

They are normally delivered within 5 working days. It is a snap shot of your situation at that time, so if you are not entitled to a full HC2 certificate initially and your circumstances change, you can re-apply at any time.

If you have any queries regarding NHS Help with Health Costs there is a Facebook page that was recently set up for this - http://www.facebook.com/NHSBSAHelpWithHealthCosts

Many Thanks

NHS Help with Health Costs Team
I have a medical condition, and have to pick up a medication every month.
My family have quite high earnings though,
(maybe just under 40 grand for total household income)
would i be eligible for that when i go uni?

I literally have like 21.00 worth of tablets to collect every month :'(
Think it's time for the govt to follow the scottish foot steps and make prescriptions free.
Original post by natalieann1993
I have a medical condition, and have to pick up a medication every month.
My family have quite high earnings though,
(maybe just under 40 grand for total household income)
would i be eligible for that when i go uni?

I literally have like 21.00 worth of tablets to collect every month :'(

That depends on your income. (not you parents)

Because you need more than 14 prescriptions a year, you can get a pre paid certificate if you don't qualify for prescriptions on basis of income. This is about £104 per year. You can pay this in 10 monthly instalments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending