The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Can I Get Into Durham With These Grades' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WilJones138
The courses which have ABB requirements are the areas which Durham are weakest in, overall Durham is a top uni arguably top 5 in the UK, the average student at Durham will have around AAA at A2 anyway :P also I wouldn't say Durham's science departments aren't as high as you described, for Physics it is the best behind Oxbridge and Imperial by very little, Chemistry it's regarded on the levels of imperial and Durham's geography department is ranked 5th in the world according to QS, so I wouldnt say they're miles behind, but on stuff like maths, economics yes Durham is more noticeably weaker but still probably amongst the top 10 departments in the UK :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah agree. I think Durham is usually ranked as 5th, isn't it?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Shane Webb
Yeah agree. I think Durham is usually ranked as 5th, isn't it?

Yep, I'd say it's only beaten overall by Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE, probably slightly better than the likes of UCL, Warwick, St Andrews etc. Which as I'm sure you know are top quality UK uni's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WilJones138
Yep, I'd say it's only beaten overall by Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE, probably slightly better than the likes of UCL, Warwick, St Andrews etc. Which as I'm sure you know are top quality UK uni's

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are the London ones really that good? I know practically nothing about them because I live in NI. how would LSE and Imperial compare with Durham in terms of entry requirements?
Reply 1183
I want to apply for Marketing with AAA in my higher levels (or 35 points in IB), i think my personal statement is solid, only focused on marketing (I can provide more details if needed).
Should I apply to Durham? if not, I'll apply to Strathclyde as my safety since I don't have a 100% safety.
Are the London ones really that good? I know practically nothing about them because I live in NI. how would LSE and Imperial compare with Durham in terms of entry requirements?

Pretty similar, Imperial slightly higher on average though, Imperial often give out A*A*A offers to students for some of their more competitive courses, LSE and Durham's requirements have a fairly similar range to one another (ABB-A*AA) . I've never heard of anyone being offered anything less than AAB from Imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also yes, LSE and Imperial are both worldwide powerhouses in terms of what they specialize in ( Imperial in Engineering and Science and LSE in social sciences )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scavi2008
Waiting to hear from Durham for History, and the longer I wait the more worried I am that I'll get a rejection!AS: AAAAGCSE: 5A* 6A 2BAlso my PS didn't have a lot of extracurriculars in etc

i'm waiting for Ancient, Medieval and Modern. Same grades at AS but 2A* 3A and 4B at GCSE. However, i think my PS and reference were strong and hoping it'll make up for my GCSEs. Plus my course is AAA, not A*AA. In regards to waiting, i read somewhere that they give out 75% of offers after 15th January and i have seen people getting offers for History in March! So, my attitude has became "a day hearing nothing is better than a day receiving a rejection." If you keep surviving day by day, they keep thinking it's not time to reject you yet and that you still have a chance. I don't expect an offer considering the competition, but i don't think you can draw a line saying "you need this to get in." I saw a girl last year with 2A* at GCSE who got an offer for History at Durham! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bethblur
i'm waiting for Ancient, Medieval and Modern. Same grades at AS but 2A* 3A and 4B at GCSE. However, i think my PS and reference were strong and hoping it'll make up for my GCSEs. Plus my course is AAA, not A*AA. In regards to waiting, i read somewhere that they give out 75% of offers after 15th January and i have seen people getting offers for History in March! So, my attitude has became "a day hearing nothing is better than a day receiving a rejection." If you keep surviving day by day, they keep thinking it's not time to reject you yet and that you still have a chance. I don't expect an offer considering the competition, but i don't think you can draw a line saying "you need this to get in." I saw a girl last year with 2A* at GCSE who got an offer for History at Durham! :smile:

It's such a competitive course! I'm not expecting to hear until after the 15th but I'm really hoping for an offer, I really like the uni and course. It's just the waiting is ruining my confidence in my application :s-smilie:
It's such a competitive course! I'm not expecting to hear until after the 15th but I'm really hoping for an offer, I really like the uni and course. It's just the waiting is ruining my confidence in my application :s-smilie:

Yeah! Over 1000 applicants this year. I'm expecting either a rejection this month or an offer in February or March. Lol. I love it so much. The college system appeals to me so much! I understand how you feel. I feel like the ones who gave me offers before Christmas read my application and went "yes" and the ones that still haven't got back to me went "maybe." So obviously it does ruin confidence a bit! However, the strongest candidates i would argue applied in October, and we haven't been rejected yet! Therefore, as long as not LOADS of outstanding candidates come in this month, we stand a chance! :smile:
A*A*A*A*A*AAAAB GCSE
AAAB in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics respectively
300 in maths C1, C2 and M1
246 in further maths FP1, D1, D2 (resitting D2) also, i have been told that durham don't put much weight on decision, i hope that's true

what are my chances?
Yeah! Over 1000 applicants this year. I'm expecting either a rejection this month or an offer in February or March. Lol. I love it so much. The college system appeals to me so much! I understand how you feel. I feel like the ones who gave me offers before Christmas read my application and went "yes" and the ones that still haven't got back to me went "maybe." So obviously it does ruin confidence a bit! However, the strongest candidates i would argue applied in October, and we haven't been rejected yet! Therefore, as long as not LOADS of outstanding candidates come in this month, we stand a chance! :smile:

Me too! And that's a great way of looking at it, best of luck & I hope we both get in :h: What college have you applied to?
Me too! And that's a great way of looking at it, best of luck & I hope we both get in :h: What college have you applied to?

Thanks!! Same to you. St Chads lol. I don't expect to get in due to how small their intake is, but it seemed the best suited to me! I wouldn't mind whatever college I end up in, as long as it's in Durham city :smile: what about you?

Looking at Durham for MML what college would you suggest?
Original post by Rosie 2015

Well, each college will try and make the students within it as varied as possible. So in regards to your course, no college will have much more MML students than others.

I haven't actually been to Durham, so my advice is pretty limited. I think when picking you should consider which location you'd like, whether you'd require an ensuite, whether you would care if you had to share a room, whether you wanted it to be self catered, etc. I found all of this information here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/choosing/

Very useful!

That should help cut it down a little bit. Then, I would recommend typing in, for instance, "St Chads Durham" and they actually have their own website. Most should. You can read all about what they offer and compare to others. I chose St Chads because of its great location, large library, gowned dinners, didn't care if i had to share a room (it might actually be a great thing), small intake so it felt a lot more like a community, and it's reputation for sport etc, as well as a nice bar. All colleges will be good wherever you end up, but you can choose to have a preference on your UCAS for a college, and therefore if you particularly sporty, musical, etc, there will be a college that may be more famous for something than others. :smile:
Original post by Rosie 2015

Just see which most appeals to you. As a person who lives in Durham, my advice is to consider the location, because Durham is very sloped, and walking up hills is really annoying. Also, some things in Durham Uni aren't actually in Durham City, and each of those has a separate college near them. There are buses for free to the other areas, but you may want to check that the course you want is actually based in the city before choosing.
Thanks!! Same to you. St Chads lol. I don't expect to get in due to how small their intake is, but it seemed the best suited to me! I wouldn't mind whatever college I end up in, as long as it's in Durham city :smile: what about you?

I don't mind either! I've applied to St Mary's :smile:
Reply 1196
I had applied to durham for law. Im predicted 95% best of 4 from a CBSE Indian Board. I screwed up my LNAT, got a 20. Do i still stand a chance?
Original post by davidtyoember
I want to apply for MChem, though the typical offer according to the course page is A*AA , which I don't have.

( https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2015/i...015#essentials )

GCSE : 6 As | 3Bs | 1C
AS : A in Biology | A in Maths | B in Chemistry | B in Physics |
A2 : A in Biology | A in Maths | A in Chemistry | B in Physics |
(Overall AAAB)

Some things Mentioned in my Personal statement atm:

Have talked about a Project that I'm working on and why I'm doing it :
www.alevelscientist.com | youtube.com/alevelscientist

Have talked about making Piezo Electric Crystals at home (Rochelle Salts).

I think you'd have to have something very special about you for them to give you an offer when you haven't achieved their standard offer for the course.
I know today is the deadline but I dont know if it is easier to get ionto Durham or City University for Business and Management: Durham offer is AAB and City AAA which one should I choose?
Original post by sultaabs
I know today is the deadline but I dont know if it is easier to get ionto Durham or City University for Business and Management: Durham offer is AAB and City AAA which one should I choose?

City let anything in lol, they inflate their grades e.g ask for AAA when accept you if you get ABB or even BBB sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest