The Student Room Group

Psychology or Chemistry?

I have just completed my AS levels and got:

Psychology-B-(141/200 UMS)
Sociology-B-(142/200 UMS)
Chemistry-B-(233/300 UMS)
Mathematics-A-(248/300 UMS)

Since the start of my AS levels I decided that I was going to do a psychology or sociology related degree until I finally settled on psychology.

For the past few months I have looked at psychology courses at university and have been interested in the content of psychology courses, however recently I decided that perhaps I would prefer to study chemistry.

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on what I what I should do. Should I stick to psychology or change to chemistry? Has it worked out well for people that have been in a similar situation?

p.s. I have already written the first draft of my psychology personal statement, but I could always write a new one for chemistry.
Reply 1
Original post by Dynamic Equilibria

Since the start of my AS levels I decided that I was going to do a psychology or sociology related degree until I finally settled on psychology.

For the past few months I have looked at psychology courses at university and have been interested in the content of psychology courses, however recently I decided that perhaps I would prefer to study chemistry.

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice on what I what I should do. Should I stick to psychology or change to chemistry? Has it worked out well for people that have been in a similar situation?

p.s. I have already written the first draft of my psychology personal statement, but I could always write a new one for chemistry.

Choose a degree that you think would keep you challenged, interested and happy. After all, you will be studying that subject for 4 years ! What universities are you considering if you do apply to do Chemistry/ Psychology ? I would say go for Chemistry but I'm a tad biased :tongue:
Original post by .Serenity.
Choose a degree that you think would keep you challenged, interested and happy. After all, you will be studying that subject for 4 years ! What universities are you considering if you do apply to do Chemistry/ Psychology ? I would say go for Chemistry but I'm a tad biased :tongue:

I'm thinking of applying to york or sheffield.
Reply 3
Combine them. I would of loved to have done Chemistry with business. Have had to
settle with HNC business night time at college and chemistry at university.

Why? What made you have second thoughts?
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Why? What made you have second thoughts?

I guess that I realised that whenever I was revising for my exams or when I received my AS results, that I wasn't significantly interested about psychology, but more about chemistry.

Also, Chemistry is probably my favourite subject.... Hang on, If Chemistry is my favourite subject, then really I should be doing Chemistry at university. (excuse the mid-sentence revelation.)

Thank you for your help
Reply 6
x

Haha well judging by your username you are a Chemistry fan :biggrin: Glad you figured out what you wanted in the end, though! :h:
Original post by Bromine
Haha well judging by your username you are a Chemistry fan :biggrin: Glad you figured out what you wanted in the end, though! :h:

Strangely enough that never connected in my mind.:rolleyes: Maybe it was subconsciously.
Reply 8
Hi . i have almost the same situation . im a psychology student who always like psychologist and pharmacist and now im really confused and stressed out . i think u should choose a way which can achieve your childhood dream
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
All I will say is psychology at university (depending on the uni) is MUCH more challenging than at A level. It may seem really interesting at a first look, however do consider that a lot of the course is focussed on research skills and statistics, with practical reports taking up a high percentage of your grade. However, with that being said, there is less frequent work to do with psychology compared to chemistry. Chemistry students rarely go out because of their long days at uni.
Both are hard courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending