The Student Room Group

A republican senate says women can't get pregnant from rape

Sorry but I really think this is a stupid thing to say coming from a republican.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-legitimate-rape-pregnant/

Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri, caused a public outcry Sunday over his claim that victims of “legitimate rape” rarely get pregnant because the female body can prevent unwanted pregnancies. The Republican, who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill was made the unusual claim to defend his opposition to abortion rights for rape victims.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
Akin said if the rape victim did become pregnant, he would still be opposed to abortion as a legal option.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Akin has previously called for and end to the school lunch program and a ban on the morning-after pill.

Talking Points Memo reported that in 2011, the House GOP dropped language from a bill that would have limited federal financial assistance for an abortion to victims of “forcible rape.”

Talking Points Memo also reported that as a state legislator, Akin questioned whether an anti-marital rape law might be misused “in a real messy divorce as a tool and a legal weapon to beat up on the husband,” according to a May 1 article that year in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do these morons even get into a position of power.

It takes relying on the stupidity of the masses to a whole new level.
Wait, so all this time we could just will ourselves into not getting pregnant? This is all just a conspiracy from the contraceptive companies?
It appears he shares similar views to that of Henry VIII. Life would have been so much simpler if his wives had only just given him a son :rolleyes: Likewise, these women who get raped should just stop getting themselves pregnant.

He states that doctors say that pregnancy from rape is really rare. Yes, doctors did say that, but those doctors lived in the medieval era. The question is, does he have evidence from any modern era doctors to back up such a claim?

This idea of legitimate rape is based on the idea that women can only get pregnant if they experience an orgasm during sex. Ergo, a woman who has got pregnant from a rape must have experienced an orgasm and thus 'enjoyed' it which would make her rape a 'legitimate' one. It is shocking that people can still believe such outdated concepts that have no proof.
(edited 11 years ago)
That is.... disgusting.
Reply 5
What a retard.
Original post by Rock Fan
Sorry but I really think this is a stupid thing to say coming from a republican.

It's a stupid thing to say coming from anyone.
Reply 7
Original post by Rock Fan

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-legitimate-rape-pregnant/

Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri, caused a public outcry Sunday over his claim that victims of “legitimate rape” rarely get pregnant because the female body can prevent unwanted pregnancies. The Republican, who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill was made the unusual claim to defend his opposition to abortion rights for rape victims.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
Akin said if the rape victim did become pregnant, he would still be opposed to abortion as a legal option.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Akin has previously called for and end to the school lunch program and a ban on the morning-after pill.

Talking Points Memo reported that in 2011, the House GOP dropped language from a bill that would have limited federal financial assistance for an abortion to victims of “forcible rape.”

Talking Points Memo also reported that as a state legislator, Akin questioned whether an anti-marital rape law might be misused “in a real messy divorce as a tool and a legal weapon to beat up on the husband,” according to a May 1 article that year in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Are you really that suprised that this is coming from a Republican? I mean all you have to do is look at the wanton crap that Romneys running budy spews forth to get an idea ofthere thoughts ... completely disgraceful rhetoric though.
It's not impossible but it is a biological fact that the chances are smaller.
Original post by Elipsis
Why are you getting angry at what someone who doesn't speak for this country, or you in any way, is saying? It's a bit pathetic to allow yourself to be long distance trolled like this.

Unfortunately, those in power in the USA hold a lot of global power.

Everything I hear in the news about the republican party makes me think that they're borderline theocratic. Can you imagine the biggest superpower in the world becoming a borderline Christian theocracy? Boggles the mind.
Reply 10
Original post by ilickbatteries
Unfortunately, those in power in the USA hold a lot of global power.

Everything I hear in the news about the republican party makes me think that they're borderline theocratic. Can you imagine the biggest superpower in the world becoming a borderline Christian theocracy? Boggles the mind.

Yeah but no matter how hyperbolic you get, it's not going to become that. The rest of the western world does not follow America's abortion policy in any way.
Original post by Elipsis
Yeah but no matter how hyperbolic you get, it's not going to become that. The rest of the western world does not follow America's abortion policy in any way.

Where did I say that?

My point is that a superpower such as the USA that has any kind of theocractic leanings would be very dangerous indeed.

This time next year the most powerful man in the World may be Mitt Romney. A mormon. I fear for the state of the world if that man gets in power. I really do.
Reply 12
Where did I say that?

My point is that a superpower such as the USA that has any kind of theocractic leanings would be very dangerous indeed.

This time next year the most powerful man in the World may be Mitt Romney. A mormon. I fear for the state of the world if that man gets in power. I really do.

You are being a bit ridiculous to be honest. Romney is clearly more moderate than George Bush... he isn't some nut bag. There are no undemocratic theocratic leanings in the US. If the will of the people is that they don't want abortions on tap like they are here, then that's democracy, even if that does allow you to attribute the usual labels I would expect you to give.
Reply 13
What's more disturbing is his position on the Senate's Science Committee. It's that kind of science which explains the fundamentalist indoctrination education system in the bible belt..
Original post by Elipsis
You are being a bit ridiculous to be honest. Romney is clearly more moderate than George Bush... he isn't some nut bag. There are no undemocratic theocratic leanings in the US. If the will of the people is that they don't want abortions on tap like they are here, then that's democracy, even if that does allow you to attribute the usual labels I would expect you to give.

I wouldn't want to live in a country where powerful politicians think that women who get raped can 'choose' not to be pregnant.

As for Romney not being a nutbag - He believes that an omnipotent being created the entire universe in just six days.

That's nutty. Religion is nutty and religion should have no place in politics. Political decisions should not be made on the basis of religion. Women should not be denied abortions because some stupid book says so. Women should not be denied contraception because some stupid book says so.

America is heading down a dangerous path. Secularism is the answer but the vast, staggering amount of retards in the Southern states and the bible-belt have put paid to that.
Reply 15
With all due respect, the people who question how this man got into power are just as bad as the man they are criticising.

It may sound bizarre to some, but it is plausible that due to the horrific effects of stress and mental trauma from rape, that hormones may change, making it less likely for an egg to survive in the womb.

This could however, be bull****, which is probably more likely (I don't know). However, I'm not seeing any medical papers being posted, just morons who have just as much of an idea as this republican about the truth of the matter.
Reply 16
I wouldn't want to live in a country where powerful politicians think that women who get raped can 'choose' not to be pregnant.

As for Romney not being a nutbag - He believes that an omnipotent being created the entire universe in just six days.

That's nutty. Religion is nutty and religion should have no place in politics. Political decisions should not be made on the basis of religion. Women should not be denied abortions because some stupid book says so. Women should not be denied contraception because some stupid book says so.

America is heading down a dangerous path. Secularism is the answer but the vast, staggering amount of retards in the Southern states and the bible-belt have put paid to that.

Almost every single president who has come before Romney (if he wins) has believed in a creator of sorts, and far from being the massive problem you envisage, it is the most powerful and richest country on earth. America is the same as it has always been, you are being hyperbolic, like I said. The world will not end because America did not adhere strictly to your specific set of values.
Original post by Fynch101
With all due respect, the people who question how this man got into power are just as bad as the man they are criticising.

It may sound bizarre to some, but it is plausible that due to the horrific effects of stress and mental trauma from rape, that hormones may change, making it less likely for an egg to survive in the womb.

This could however, be bull****, which is probably more likely (I don't know). However, I'm not seeing any medical papers being posted, just morons who have just as much of an idea as this republican about the truth of the matter.

I agree. At first I just reacted with contempt, but there may be something to what he's saying.

Regardless, it's a scientific question, not a social or moral one. Maybe he has read some studies supporting his claim, I don't know.
Original post by Fynch101

Pregnancy from rape is unlikely, but then so is pregnancy from consensual sex, and there is nothing to suggest that it is any less likely in the case of rape. A 1998 study found that 5% of rape victims of childbearing age become pregnant, which, while a small percentage, is still a large raw number. This is equal to or higher than the current estimates for likelihood of pregnancy from a single act of unprotected sex in general.

As an aside, the title of this thread is quite confused. Perhaps it's missing the word 'candidate'? The guy is a current congressman and senate candidate.
Having seen the original video it looks like he was quoting a doctor, so perhaps we're being too harsh on him?

Edit: Alright you arrogant, toss-pot negger.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending