Can I take the test on my 17th birthday?

Watch
Chiasmata
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
My dad has been teaching me to drive for the last 6 months, so I haven't had any lessons with an instructor, although I have a provisional licence. My 17th birthday is next week and I've booked the theory test. My dad and I both think I'm ready to take the practical test, but am I allowed to do it on my 17th birthday along with the theory? The theory is in the morning; would it be marked by the afternoon, or how long would I have to wait? If I can do the theory and practical on the same day, how long will it take for my full licence to come through?

How unusual is it for people to take their tests on their 17th birthdays, if it is allowed at all?
Emma-Ashley
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chiasmata)
My dad has been teaching me to drive for the last 6 months, so I haven't had any lessons with an instructor, although I have a provisional licence. My 17th birthday is next week and I've booked the theory test. My dad and I both think I'm ready to take the practical test, but am I allowed to do it on my 17th birthday along with the theory? The theory is in the morning; would it be marked by the afternoon, or how long would I have to wait? If I can do the theory and practical on the same day, how long will it take for my full licence to come through?

How unusual is it for people to take their tests on their 17th birthdays, if it is allowed at all?
Sorry, almost impossible. You can take your theory on your 17th birthday but, although the result is given to you there and then, you have to pass your theory before booking your practical. It is highly unlikely that you would get a slot for later the same day.
Chiasmata
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emma-Ashley)
Sorry, almost impossible. You can take your theory on your 17th birthday but, although the result is given to you there and then, you have to pass your theory before booking your practical. It is highly unlikely that you would get a slot for later the same day.
Thanks. How long would I have to wait until I could do the practical? After the practical, how long would it take to get my full licence through if I pass?
Emma-Ashley
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks. How long would I have to wait until I could do the practical? After the practical, how long would it take to get my full licence through if I pass?
You can book it almost immediately you pass your theory. Waiting lists can be anything from a day (cancellation) up to 10 weeks.

If you pass your practical, you'll get your licence within a couple of weeks probably.

So you're not in a hurry then........
Chiasmata
Rep:
?
You can book it almost immediately you pass your theory. Waiting lists can be anything from a day (cancellation) up to 10 weeks.

If you pass your practical, you'll get your licence within a couple of weeks probably.

So you're not in a hurry then........
Thanks! I'm in a hurry because I'm one of the youngest in my year at school and all my friends have been driving for 6 months or more! I really want to drive to school and into town by myself without asking them for lifts all the time
d_jukes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How's your Dad taught you to drive considering you've only just turned 17... you're not even allowed on the roads before you're 17. I can understand you've been taught how to start/move the car etc etc but do you have experience with other cars on the road? I'm not being rude it's just a genuine question
The_Goose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

(Original post by d_jukes)
How's your Dad taught you to drive considering you've only just turned 17... you're not even allowed on the roads before you're 17. I can understand you've been taught how to start/move the car etc etc but do you have experience with other cars on the road? I'm not being rude it's just a genuine question
I was wondering this as well.
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am curious as well ....
ROG.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
To book the practical test the theory pass number must be given

To get a practical test at a test centre in less than a week is going to be near impossible
KCLeblanc
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would be very surprised if you passed the test with virtually no on road experience or proper tuition. Get a few driving lessons and go from there. You need to learn a certain style of driving to pass the test.
hvh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just so you know (as when I read what you're saying, you seem to not understand this) as soon as you have passed your practical test, you will be allowed to drive on the roads legally - you do not have to wait for your driving licence to come through.

Also - I would highly recommend getting proper lessons with a real instructor, before booking your test. Otherwise you will waste a lot of money.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks! I'm in a hurry because I'm one of the youngest in my year at school and all my friends have been driving for 6 months or more! I really want to drive to school and into town by myself without asking them for lifts all the time
I'm one of the youngest in my year too, and I lived pretty far from town and school all my life. I'm 20 now and still don't have a driving licence
So it doesn't matter that much - you can find ways around.
glitter_star12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

You may have a provision before your 17th birthday, but you've still been driving illegally before your birthday, the provisional doesn't become active until you're 17
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by glitter_star12)
You may have a provision before your 17th birthday, but you've still been driving illegally before your birthday, the provisional doesn't become active until you're 17
well it's active, but not for a car.
Camoxide
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How do 17 year olds afford cars...
linkdapink
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Very illegal unless you happen to have a lot of private land, and I mean enough for you to experience going up through gears, hill starts, etc.

Take some legal lessons with an instructor and do it properly. You shouldn't have been driving at all, and fair enough if you got your provisional and didn't realise, but you can't get a provisional until 3 months before your 17th birthday, so you must have been doing it illegally. Please just be safe, take some lessons from an instructor (there are certain things you have to know/do) and good luck!
Xenite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If you've been driving on the roads, that's illegal.
If you've been driving on private land, you probably don't have all the experience of traffic/roundabouts/junctions etc. to be able to pass your test.

By all means take your theory on your birthday (though a test on your birthday might not be the best way to celebrate...) but wait a couple months until you've practised on public roads (pref. with a proper instructor) before you do your test.
PataynaRolaay
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is this thread a joke? Why would someone want to do their theory and practical in one day? I presume he'l want to buy a car and insurance on the same day too? Even if his quote is £10,000?

Son, you need to calm down. Relax. Book your theory and driving lessons, then take it from there. Kids these days ..
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by linkdapink)
Very illegal unless you happen to have a lot of private land, and I mean enough for you to experience going up through gears, hill starts, etc.

Take some legal lessons with an instructor and do it properly. You shouldn't have been driving at all, and fair enough if you got your provisional and didn't realise, but you can't get a provisional until 3 months before your 17th birthday, so you must have been doing it illegally. Please just be safe, take some lessons from an instructor (there are certain things you have to know/do) and good luck!
Yes you can - the provisional is for bikes (like mopeds) and cars - but you shouldn't be using it to drive until you're 17
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (34)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
9.24%
No I am happy with my choice (66)
55.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (8)
6.72%

Watched Threads