The Student Room Group

Can I take the test on my 17th birthday?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Camoxide
How do 17 year olds afford cars...

Well maybe they work hard to save for a car unlike others who are lazy and ask parent for money and become interested when their like 22
Original post by Bossman2k14
Well maybe they work hard to save for a car unlike others who are lazy and ask parent for money and become interested when their like 22

Nice. reply to a 2 year old comment.

But yeah. £1000 for car £1000+ for a years insurance, plus tax, fuel maintenance easily another £1000.

And considering 17 year olds should be in education or on an apprenticeship (which has pathetic pay) it's not hard to question how a 17 year old would afford a car.
I don't understand why people care how 17 years old would afford a car?!?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But yeah. £1000 for car £1000+ for a years insurance, plus tax, fuel maintenance easily another £1000.

And considering 17 year olds should be in education or on an apprenticeship (which has pathetic pay) it's not hard to question how a 17 year old would afford a car.

I know people who brought a car as soon as they turned 17 without help from parents because they worked hard since they were 16. A years wage can easily get you a car and support the fuel and other things. I guess your someone who just relies on his parents to pay for everything for him. i bet your like "dad can i have money for a car" and hes probably "of course son i don't see why not". The point is some people can save for a car and actually be responsible from a young age
Original post by Bossman2k14
I know people who brought a car as soon as they turned 17 without help from parents because they worked hard since they were 16. A years wage can easily get you a car and support the fuel and other things. I guess your*'re someone who just relies on his parents to pay for everything for him. i bet your*'re like "dad can i have money for a car" and hes*'s probably "of course son i don't see why not". The point is some people can save for a car and actually be responsible from a young age

Actually I paid for my car, insurance, tax and fuel (plus lessons and test) with my own money.
Well actually my dad put a whopping £50 towards my first car but that was it.

What i'm saying is I don't understand how people that young have the opportunity to earn that much when they're in education.
Reply 25
Actually I paid for my car, insurance, tax and fuel (plus lessons and test) with my own money.

What i'm saying is I don't understand how people that young have the opportunity to earn that much when they're in education.

I don't see your massive issue with understanding it? Some of us work and some don't. Some like to spend and some like to save.

When in education, it's near impossible. I bought a car after being in full time work for a good 4 months (which begins to accumulate quickly!) But almost everyone I know who has a car and stayed/is still in education basically got it bought for them

Original post by kmcg97
I don't see your massive issue with understanding it? Some of us work and some don't. Some like to spend and some like to save.

He means when a teenager is in education. Even with weekend work, it would take a lot to actually be able to afford a car and insurance off their own back.
Reply 27
Original post by TornadoGR4

He means when a teenager is in education. Even with weekend work, it would take a lot to actually be able to afford a car and insurance off their own back.

I'm managing it just fine... maybe it's just me on my £4p/h
Reply 28
You can get your provisional 3 months before you're 16 for a moped (I'm 15 and have mine), I belive this will then become active on your 17th as a provisional got a car. To be fair to this kid most people's parents teach them to drive before they're legally aloud to. Circumstances are different depending on where you live. If you live in a city (I live in London) then this is a bit different however if you live in the countryside it's pretty much the norm.
I got sent my provisional licence forms a month before my 16th birthday...

well some can do it , ive done it and iwas 17 payed for everything including phone bills...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending