Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Care to discuss openings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    I like to start by moving one of the little prawns.

ReputationRep:
    The most vital part of the game. Muck it up and you'll probably lose. Castle as early as possible to protect the king, Get the bishops and queen in a central position on the board (not actually in the centre of the board as it will be very vulnerable at the early stages of a game, maybe on the penultimate row) so you can command a wide range of the board. There's too much to say - people write hundreds of pages about this stuff

ReputationRep:
    Haven't played in years man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    The most vital part of the game. Muck it up and you'll probably lose. Castle as early as possible to protect the king, Get the bishops and queen central (although maybe on the penultimate row) so you can command a wide range of the board. There's too much to say - people write hundreds of pages about this stuff
    Queen's Indian Defense sets up that ideal pretty quickly although i sometimes use a Sicilian Dragon (and its variations) which is favoured by Kasparov

ReputationRep:
    I'm useless at playing cards but Chess is actually one game i can play and win in! This is despite the fact i can't even name half the players/figures.

ReputationRep:
    Queen's Gambit.

ReputationRep:
    But the horsey is the most fun bit cos he can jump over everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I'm useless at playing cards but Chess is actually one game i can play and win in! This is despite the fact i can't even name half the players/figures.
    hehe - how do u tend to play it ...? is there a plan or is it destroy the enemy's line of pawns with yours ...?

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite bad at chess, heh .

ReputationRep:
    hehe - how do u tend to play it ...? is there a plan or is it destroy the enemy's line of pawns with yours ...?
    More seriously though the hypermodern theorists say that there is no need to try to grab the centre immediately - and in fact, you could safely let your opponent rush into the centre with pawns in the opening, using them as a target for attack.

The idea is not to ignore the centre but to control it, perhaps from a distance. If the opponent occupies the centre, you can hit fiercely at it; if not, your own occupation of the centre later will be more secure for being delayed.

In fact, Reti said, to occupy the centre directly as White merely allowed Black either to blockade or blow up what White has established, whereas keeping things unfixed was the most awkward thing White could do.

They would develop the Bishops in fianchetto, and use side-swipes like c4 to undermine the centre. As White they played flank openings like the English and the Reti; for Black Alekhine's Defence and the Grunfeld Defence are good examples of the hypermodern legacy. Other examples include the Pirc and Modern Defences, and the more rarely seen English Defence.

ReputationRep:
    )
    When playing with 'serious' chess people (unlike me, I know the all the moves but that's as far as my ability goes ) just copy their opening. Not only does it mess up their plan (what works for them must also work for you!) but it bugs the hell out of them, very entertaining! (mean but fun! if they do actually get annoyed, just explain it's only a game & meant to be fun!)

A friend and I played chess in the big huge one in Harrods (touristing not shopping!) we had quite gathering of old men around hummming and ahhhing, so funny, neither of had a clue what we were doing!! (I won!! )

Seriously though, I tend to go for the two knight's, I wouldn't know how good a move that is though!

ReputationRep:
    i favour taking control of the centre by threatening the squares with a number of pieces all the while moving my good pieces off the backline

ReputationRep:
    I hate chess. I like playing Monopoly.

ReputationRep:
    i favour taking control of the centre by threatening the squares with a number of pieces all the while moving my good pieces off the backline
    I actually analysed a couple of chess matches form professionals in chess competitions, and the winners have all one thing in common, they develop their pieces early. Earlier than the opposition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    More seriously though the hypermodern theorists say that there is no need to try to grab the centre immediately - and in fact, you could safely let your opponent rush into the centre with pawns in the opening, using them as a target for attack.
    So I guess you are not a fan of the crazy 4 central pawn attack then. Damn, forgot the name...

ReputationRep:
    yes, I also favour the dragon for black and if the chance is there I will play scotch gambit for white - for those who don't know this the sequence of events is

e4, e5
    Nf3, Nc6
    d4, e4xd4
    c3, d4xc3
    Bc5 (or other bishop move or other variants), c3xb2
    Bxb2, any move
    0-0,

you have exchanged two pawns for complete positional advantage. you have developed two bishops, a knight and a rook. They have nothing. the best thing about this opening is that not many players know it.

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    Hmm it works on agressive people, but I'm more of a defence player. Securing my position for the attack and ready for a counterattack. Never failed me. though if the pther person is a defensive player as well, then you are in for a long match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Pasted from http://www.ex.ac.uk/~dregis/DR/Openings/hypermod.html
    :rolleyes:
    Foiled again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    You'd have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that pesky piginapoke!
    Damn your eyes man!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.