The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uncertainty
Maths, you?

no i mean about your accommodation situation haha... History and politics though :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I put all three of my choices as catered and set my priority as catered, I got put in Oak House where there is a remarkable lack of catering :rolleyes:

It's just not good enough :/ my priority was en suite but I doubt they even saw it! I'm going to see how it goes but then if I don't like I'll think about transferring :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by tillytots
Ensuites are very popular and there isn't enough to cover the demand. There isn't really anything you can do about it I'm afraid and if anything, by putting 3 ensuites you kinda put yourself in the position where you'd end up with x halls because it is actually only recommended you put 2 high demand halls (ensuites) and then a third low demand preference. The best you can do is either stick with it (I loved WP!) or find someone to change with (providing they are the same gender and have the same length contract as you)

Yeah I realise this and it would have been fine if they didn't start giving out Weston hall (which I think is en suite) offers the day after I got mine :/

Original post by ShannonTweddell
It's just not good enough :/ my priority was en suite but I doubt they even saw it! I'm going to see how it goes but then if I don't like I'll think about transferring :smile:

Me too. I'm going to give it a go though. I mean, there are over 1000 other people there and they seem to cope all right! Plus non-catered means that I will learn to cook, seeing as I haven't already :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Me too. I'm going to give it a go though. I mean, there are over 1000 other people there and they seem to cope all right! Plus non-catered means that I will learn to cook, seeing as I haven't already :biggrin:

Hopefully my flat mates are nice! I wanted self catered anyway as I can cook reasonably well ( I got an A in food tech GCSE, so I can't be that bad!) but I'm sure you'll be able to learn quickly. If not there's a kettle in the kitchen so you can always make a pot noodle with toast :biggrin:

Hopefully my flat mates are nice! I wanted self catered anyway as I can cook reasonably well ( I got an A in food tech GCSE, so I can't be that bad!) but I'm sure you'll be able to learn quickly. If not there's a kettle in the kitchen so you can always make a pot noodle with toast :biggrin:

The food of students! I haven't found even 1 of my flatmates - lets hope that one of them is a chef! I got an A in Geography, I don't think that'll help my cookery XD
The food of students! I haven't found even 1 of my flatmates - lets hope that one of them is a chef! I got an A in Geography, I don't think that'll help my cookery XD

Cant beat a good pot noodle! I've found 3 of my flat mates so far, so if anymore of them can cook that's a bonus! But I don't think that geography will help with cooking, maybe with finding the best places to go for a night out haha

Original post by radenoactive
hmmh having some problem here. I just received the accommodation offer but the offer is 1000000% completely different from I had applied before this.

I have applied Bowden Court, Grosvenor Place and Grosvenor Street. All of them are self-catered hall and located in the city centre. But I ended up getting Owens Park (catered hall and located at fallowfield)...

Is there any way we can swap the hall? If not, I guess I should switch to private hall instead..

Unfortunately, there will always be some people who end up in the last remaining halls. Combined with the fact that the admin side of these things isn't always amazing, there will always be some people who don't get the choices they're after. Owens Park is a lot of fun though (they were talking about demolishing it a few years ago, and in the end there were so many protests by its residents and alumni that they decided not to!), and it's right next to the bus stop, where the buses (which come every 2 mins or less) will take you into city campus in less than 15 minutes.

You can swap after around 6 weeks, in October, because some people drop out at the beginning of the year. Very few people actually do this though, as most people end up loving their hall! It's never (to my knowledge) been confirmed by the accommodation office that it's allowed, but quite a few people have been looking on here for people to swap with.

Don't go into private accommodation - it's universally overpriced and unsocial, freshers events are organised by the uni halls, but nothing is organised by private halls, and there's a weird mix of second and third year students, internationals and people from other unis. It won't be the freshers experience you're looking for, and if (for whatever reason) you wanted to move out of those halls later, you would be liable for the whole year's rent, which isn't the case with UoM halls.

Original post by chloealex
Is anyone else in Owens park?

There's a thread for that here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1004852 Don't forget that there's an orange 'Search This Thread' button at the top, to save you reading 90 gazillion pages :smile:

I really don't see the point in putting my preferences for accommodation because out of the places I applied for 2 were in Victoria park and one was in fallowfield, all we're en suite. However, I've been put in whitworth park which is in the city campus and shared bathroom, completely the opposite for what I wanted :/

It's unfortunate - the demand for en suites is higher than the supply, and so unfortunately some will always be disappointed. Most people do get one of their choices though.

However, I had a shared bathroom last year, and none of the dire consequences so often predicted on TSR (dirty, queues etc.) ever came to be reality.
(edited 11 years ago)
Cant beat a good pot noodle! I've found 3 of my flat mates so far, so if anymore of them can cook that's a bonus! But I don't think that geography will help with cooking, maybe with finding the best places to go for a night out haha

What about chemistry :tongue: have I asked you what you're studying yet? Very poor memory :colondollar:
Original post by rugbyladosc
no i mean about your accommodation situation haha... History and politics though :smile:

Oh woops :colondollar: I think I'll attempt to learn how to cook :smile: It's a pretty useful skill to have in later life
What about chemistry :tongue: have I asked you what you're studying yet? Very poor memory :colondollar:

Chemistry you have to measure out chemicals, cooking you have to measure out ingredients so that's more useful than geography! And I'm studying pharmacy, how about you?

Chemistry you have to measure out chemicals, cooking you have to measure out ingredients so that's more useful than geography! And I'm studying pharmacy, how about you?

Maths! I forgot all my chemistry the moment I walked out of the exam :biggrin:
Maths! I forgot all my chemistry the moment I walked out of the exam :biggrin:

I wish I could! Pharmacy involves a lot of chemistry :/ however I don't think I could cope with Maths I only managed the Maths involved in chemistry :biggrin:

I wish I could! Pharmacy involves a lot of chemistry :/ however I don't think I could cope with Maths I only managed the Maths involved in chemistry :biggrin:

Well if you ever have any maths you could try me, but I'd probably just confuse both of us :colondollar: There's a lot of maths in chem, especially in a2 and in a degree.... but it's the calculus you've got to watch out for!
Reply 194
My parents are moving me in on the 16th (both working any other day) I'm not really a fan of this idea because I don't want to miss anything, or be the last one there... do you think it would be okay to move in on the Sunday? :P
I'm in Oak House - HO.03.10.078
Reply 195
I've got accomadation at victoria hall and i was wondering if there was any way to connect multiple devices onto the internet like my ps3 and laptop at the same time. and if you're allowed to connect the ethernet cable in a wireless router
I put all three of my choices as catered and set my priority as catered, I got put in Oak House where there is a remarkable lack of catering :rolleyes:

meanwhile...lots of people who wanted self-catered ended up in catered halls.
Original post by amilo19
I've got accomadation at victoria hall and i was wondering if there was any way to connect multiple devices onto the internet like my ps3 and laptop at the same time. and if you're allowed to connect the ethernet cable in a wireless router

I heard that setting up your own wi-fi is forbidden,but if you need it for ethernet devices,you could try to find wired-only router,or wireless one with more ethernet slots
Reply 198
Victoria hall doesn't use hornet internet , so you might be allowed to setup a router..

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Well if you ever have any maths you could try me, but I'd probably just confuse both of us :colondollar: There's a lot of maths in chem, especially in a2 and in a degree.... but it's the calculus you've got to watch out for!

Yeah if I ever get stuck on the Maths I'll have to visit you and you can help me haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending