The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

I've been allocated accommodation in Whitworth Park having not chosen it as one of my three choices. From what I've heard it's not fab so I'm thinking of rejecting the offer... does anyone have any advice as to how wise this would be?
My friend got her place at Manchester through Clearing but has been promised accommodation in Sheavyn House or Richmond Park, two of my choices - does this mean there's still room available?

Any input is welcomed as is any (if any) comments of "Whitworth Park is off it's tats and you'll love it"
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Don't reject it - it's highly unlikely that there are places left in Richmond / Sheavyn. If you did reject it, then you would be unlikely to get another offer, which would mean that you'd have to sign a year long contract on overpriced private halls. If you go to WP and don't like it, then the uni will let you change (most likely Richmond / Sheavyn will have places open up) after about 6 weeks.

Finally, you might just find you like it - tillytots lived there last year and enjoyed it :smile:

Original post by tillytots
quoted for attention :biggrin:
Original post by Origami Bullets
Firs Villa is postgrad only, and Linton House is for couples / families only.

Another poster rang up yesterday and was told that (in Fallowfield) only Oak House and Ashburne Hall were still available. I lived in Oak House, and whilst I am not tall, I had a flatmate of roughly your height who had no problems.

I did tell you to apply as early as possible so you had the best possible chance of getting the accommodation you wanted :rolleyes:

Yeah your right i should have but it took me ages to narrow it down and research etc but no excuses. Guess i'll apply for oak house then.

I rung up the accommodation office today and was told i could apply anywhere and that there were still places on every campus. I mentioned that i wanted to be in Fallowfield and was told that there were spaces in every hall so i duno maybe i'll try and phone again.
Prob will go for oakhouse... if thats the only self catered hall still available ?
Reply 44
Ugh, I've been given owens park, despite stating my first point as "prefer en-suite", but the above points make a shared bathroom sound ok
Original post by gonnabesomething
hahaa! Not that short, and you're not that tall :tongue: But joking aside, I've heard OH is the place to be for a good social life and that the noise isn't so bad that you fail, unless you let yourself :L

Not heard too much about the others, I know Sheavyn is meant to be good as well but it's a bit more pricey, and yeah, apparently Richmond Park is known as 'Rich Man's Park' and it's full of the well off and some 'rah' types. Not heard about Linton or Firs, I'm sure someone else on the Forum, perhaps Origami Bullets, could give you more info :smile:

Haha short people always claim there not that short until you meet them lol and there asking for ladder assistance in food aisle in Tesco for a pint of milk!

Yeah i'll probably apply now in the order you said once i confirm there are still places in Richmond and Sheavyn. Hey, do you think it's a good idea to put all your 3 choices in the same Campus? I don't really want to be anywhere else but i'd hate if i ended up in the City because i put all my preferences in Fallowfield?
Whitworth Park is off it's tats and you'll love it!

Haha, no seriously. I lived there last year and it was fab. It gets a mixed rep on here but I honestly had the best time! Just get involved, if you want a social life you will have a social life. I went out 3 times a week, made tons of friends and loved the community atmosphere. Loads of my friends are on the RA this year and they have some great things planned. Accommodation is basic compared to richmond and sheavyn but honestly you will save so much money and it's all cleaned regularly so it never gets dirty.

You'll meet loads of people during Freshers, yes there is alot of internationals but still a large portion of brits. Don't lock yourself in your room, get out, talk to people and you'll be fine! If it still goes bad transfer in October. I can totally relate to your situation s I applied for the same choices as you and was gutted, but I wouldn't swap it for the world and I know plenty of people who were in the same boat as me! I'd accept your offer no matter what, otherwise you will have to go private which guaranteed no fun!
Original post by rugbyladosc
Prob will go for oakhouse... if thats the only self catered hall still available ?

There seem to be conflicting reports coming from people who have contacted the accommodation office! One person has been told that the only halls in Fallowfield still available (as of yesterday) are Oak and Ashburne. Another has been told (today) that all halls have spaces.

However, en suites tend to be more sought after than shared bathrooms, and Oak House is the only self catered, shared bathroom accommodation in Fallowfield, I'd recommend applying there as an 'insurance' choice if nothing else.

Original post by koolkelv
Ugh, I've been given owens park, despite stating my first point as "prefer en-suite", but the above points make a shared bathroom sound ok

Shared bathrooms are absolutely fine :yes:

Original post by Alevelsareboring
Haha short people always claim there not that short until you meet them lol and there asking for ladder assistance in food aisle in Tesco for a pint of milk!

Yeah i'll probably apply now in the order you said once i confirm there are still places in Richmond and Sheavyn. Hey, do you think it's a good idea to put all your 3 choices in the same Campus? I don't really want to be anywhere else but i'd hate if i ended up in the City because i put all my preferences in Fallowfield?

If you want to be in Fallowfield, then apply for halls in Fallowfield. There's no reverse psychology going on in the accommodation office - they take what you say at face value. You can state on the form what is most important to you - campus, catering or bathroom. If you state campus then they will do their best to put you in Fallowfield, even if it's not the hall you originally wanted.
Reply 48
So I accepted my clearing offer today and when I went to accommodation application it said I need a Manchester uni ID but I haven't been given one? Shall I phone Manchester in the morning or do I have to wait for an email from them? Thanks x
Original post by zizi8
So I accepted my clearing offer today and when I went to accommodation application it said I need a Manchester uni ID but I haven't been given one? Shall I phone Manchester in the morning or do I have to wait for an email from them? Thanks x

Phone them in the morning. They do send a few e-mails within a few days but someone at the university will have access to your student ID number and should be able to give it to you immediately over the phone.

I was accepted in Clearning last friday, hadn't gotten en e-mail yesterday morning so I called and got my ID number (the e-mails actually came later in the day).
BE.G.49.339 is my room code - apologies if I'm being dense but can someone tell me what it stands for? I'm guessing the BE means Beech court, are the other numbers just for floors/rooms? Does the G stand for "ground"?

And what does it mean for Oak House to be split into courts? Are they different buildings? Closed off sections of one building? You can see I'm confused :tongue:

Hahaha!! No, I really am not that short! Just a bit below average :wink: I'll look out for the tall guy round OH when you get in!

Erm, nah just apply all for Fallowfield if that's what you want. No point putting a City hall down if you'd rather not be there. At the end of the day, you'll probably end up there or in VP if they can't fit you into FF anyway! So I say just go for it, but hurry, places are drying up quick as time goes on!
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm basically just a bit concerned that being in grim accommodation would put me off staying at university.
Hi guys, first year here Oak house MA.1.01.008. I put catered as most important to me but alas :smile: Can anybody suggest a decent cookery book for a beginner cook, I do have A level Chemistry :biggrin: (admittedly in the last practical I did the lab had to be evacuated)
Original post by JuliusDS92
BE.G.49.339 is my room code - apologies if I'm being dense but can someone tell me what it stands for? I'm guessing the BE means Beech court, are the other numbers just for floors/rooms? Does the G stand for "ground"?And what does it mean for Oak House to be split into courts? Are they different buildings? Closed off sections of one building? You can see I'm confused :tongue:

G is the floor, 49 is your flat number and 339 is your room number. If you're looking for girls in your flat theirs will say "BE.1.49.XXX". Take a look on the fb "Oak House 2012-2013" page.

There's 5 different courts in Oak House, look at the fb page, all the info is on there :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by gonnabesomething
G is the floor, 49 is your flat number and 339 is your room number. If you're looking for girls in your flat theirs will say "BE.1.49.XXX". Take a look on the fb "Oak House 2012-2013" page.

There's 5 different courts in Oak House, look at the fb page, all the info is on their :smile:

Gotcha, thanks.
Original post by JuliusDS92
BE.G.49.339 is my room code - apologies if I'm being dense but can someone tell me what it stands for? I'm guessing the BE means Beech court, are the other numbers just for floors/rooms? Does the G stand for "ground"?

And what does it mean for Oak House to be split into courts? Are they different buildings? Closed off sections of one building? You can see I'm confused :tongue:

Beech Court, Ground Floor, Flat 49, Room 339 :smile:

Oak House is split into 5 courts - Chestnut, Holly, Sycamore, Maple and Beech. There are also two non-residential buildings - Carrill House (where the cleaners hang out, where the OH cat lives, and where you collect your post) and Squirrels (bar, squash courts, launderette). Each of the courts is just another building. They're all directly next to each other, and the flats are identical with the exception of Chestnut, which has washbasins.

Original post by Uncertainty
Hi guys, first year here Oak house MA.1.01.008. I put catered as most important to me but alas :smile: Can anybody suggest a decent cookery book for a beginner cook, I do have A level Chemistry :biggrin: (admittedly in the last practical I did the lab had to be evacuated)

Causing an evacuation of your block due to poor cooking skills is a traditional rite of passage in Oak House. If you do it properly, then the fire brigade get called! Probably best not to go as far as one flat did last year and gut the entire kitchen...

My favourite student cookery books are the Beyond Baked Beans series. There are three versions - normal, budget and green (veggie). I've got them all, and they pretty much taught me to cook from scratch!
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you want to be in Fallowfield, then apply for halls in Fallowfield. There's no reverse psychology going on in the accommodation office - they take what you say at face value. You can state on the form what is most important to you - campus, catering or bathroom. If you state campus then they will do their best to put you in Fallowfield, even if it's not the hall you originally wanted.

Thanks, done it now btw does it make a difference if you put Oak House Single Basin as your first choice and Oak House Single without a basin as your 2nd? Will it increase your chances?
Thanks, done it now btw does it make a difference if you put Oak House Single Basin as your first choice and Oak House Single without a basin as your 2nd? Will it increase your chances?

Probably, but I don't think OH is oversubscribed, so you should get a place if you apply now. I did non-basin and basin for my first 2 choices and got my first choice.
Reply 59
OMG, I applied to the same accommodation choices as you, and I put en suite as priority in my application .. but I just found out Im in Whitworth too :frown: I was disappointed for a few minutes but whatever.... its more about the people than the place, and if I like my flatmates I will not transfer :smile:

One concern though; I read that there is single sex areas.. I really hope Im not in one of those (but I doubt they would put us in one unless we want to).

Anyway point is, don't let it get to you, life goes on :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending