The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if it matters how far in advance you apply for accommodation? Like if you apply early (e.g now) then are you more likely to get your first choice than if you were to apply in June? Just wondering :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by franny07
Thanks a lot :smile:

But isn't private accommodation cheaper? I've found a few good deals in Manchester (like £325 per month, all bills included and it looks really modern), even though I think it's best to spend your first year in halls in order to meet people and stuff like that right?

I'm an international prospective student, that's why I'm sooooo confused about pretty much everything :')

As per the FAQ on the first page of this thread

Won't a privately rented shared house work out cheaper?
All privately rented shared houses are self-catered, and almost all are shared bathroom, so I'll compare it against Oak House, which is self-catered, shared bathroom, using 2011-12 prices.

Oak House £82 for 40 weeks = £3280 (includes all bills)
No deposit - there is a £400 pre-payment, but this is automatically offset against your final accommodation payment.
If you are receiving a bursary, and opt for the accommodation discount, then the total bill will actually come to £2000 less. The accommodation discount is not applicable to privately rented shared houses.

Shared House
- a conservative estimate (i.e. it may very well cost more than this)
Typical student houses will cost £70-80pw, on a 52 week contract, with a half rent concession over eight weeks of summer, so £70 for 44 weeks + £35 for 8 weeks = £3360
Bills - typically £10-15pppw, so £10 for 52 weeks = £520
Deposit - typically £300-400, and you may or may not get it back.
Total: £3880 + deposit

In addition, in private houses you tend to have problems with landlords that are either incompetent or maliciously bad (repairs not being done, laws not being followed, and deposits not being handed back etc.) along with the hassle of dealing with utility providers, getting a council tax exemption, maintaining the garden and doing all your own cleaning should be enough to put you off renting in the private sector until you have to. Reading the RenterGirl blog should open your eyes to the fast ones that many landlords and their agents try to pull.

In addition, you really need to view a house in person before you view it. Often the photos aren't representative of what you're getting - because they're 10 years old, or because they conveniently don't include the rampant damp problem or mouse infestation.

Original post by ktlaurenroe
Does anyone know if it matters how far in advance you apply for accommodation? Like if you apply early (e.g now) then are you more likely to get your first choice than if you were to apply in June? Just wondering :smile:

As per the FAQ on the first page on this thread

Are applications first-come first-served?
Yes. I have this on authority from a member of staff from the accommodation service. Who gets what hall is based on the date you applied for accommodation. However, if you later email them to change your choices (say, after the open day) then your original application date stands.

When do I need to apply by to guarantee getting X / Y / Z hall?
It's impossible to say. This because
a) I don't have access to the data, and
b) things change from year to year

However, Manchester has always had more spaces in halls than it actually needs, and it has recently taken the decision to reduce the overall number of students, which will create more spare spaces. Many halls are not oversubscribed. Those halls that are significantly oversubscribed are marked on the accommodation office's website as being 'high demand'. Most of those are self catered, en suite halls.

Ultimately, you should get your accommodation application in as soon as you make Manchester your firm / insurance / clearing place. However, it is not worth making a hasty decision on which university you go to because you are worried about which halls you will get. You will only be living in halls for one year, but you will be spending three to six years at the university itself. Don't forget that if you are allocated a hall that you really don't like, then you can apply to move from 1st October.
Original post by Origami Bullets

As per the FAQ on the first page on this thread

Oops forgot to look there! Thank you :smile: I'm guessing February is pretty early in terms of applying for accommodation so that's good.
Original post by acwilliams3
I did exactly the same as you! Really hope I get Oak House, everyone I have spoken to says it's the most fun by far!

nice one :smile: yeah that's the vibe I'm getting from it too, better get the grades now!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 584
I have an unconditional offer for Chinese and Japanese, which I will firm soon, and I just applied for accommodation at Oak House (no washbasin), Oak House (with washbasin) and Whitworth Park (no washbasin) :smile:

I really hope I'll get Oak House ! Although Whitworth could be cool too, if there are many international students, maybe I'll be lucky enough to get Chinese and/or Japanese flatmates ... but yeah, I still hope I'll get Oak House ! :tongue:
Do you happen to know if disabled students are guaranteed a place in halls for years of study following the first?
Original post by DeanFoley
Do you happen to know if disabled students are guaranteed a place in halls for years of study following the first?

Not as far as I know. However,
a) students can apply to stay in halls beyond first year, and last year there was a substantial surplus of rooms; many were never filled
b) the university must, by law, make reasonable adjustments for your disability. A reasonable adjustment could include allowing you to stay in halls past your first year.

That suggests to me that you would almost certainly be able to stay in halls for a second year.

If you're concerned, then talk to the accommodation office and disability support office, who will be able to give you info.

Depending on your disability, don't totally discount the idea of moving out into a house for second / third year; there's a lot of variety in the housing stock.
Ahh I really can't decide on my accommodation! Everywhere seems to have mixed reviews :s-smilie:
I'm basically the kind of person who likes going out a few times a week and partying but I also like nights in and don't want to be too noisy when I want to study :tongue:

I'm currently looking at: Sheavyn House, Richmond Park, Victoria Hall, Burkhadt House and Canterbury House. I don't really want catered so my preference in self-catered and ensuite if possible but i'm not too bothered about sharing. As long as I have a washbasin :tongue:

At the moment I might go for Sheavyn, Richmond and either one of the halls from Victoria Park. But I'm not sure :s-smilie:

Any advice would be appreciated ^^
Original post by CupcakeFaerie
Ahh I really can't decide on my accommodation! Everywhere seems to have mixed reviews :s-smilie:
I'm basically the kind of person who likes going out a few times a week and partying but I also like nights in and don't want to be too noisy when I want to study :tongue:

I'm currently looking at: Sheavyn House, Richmond Park, Victoria Hall, Burkhadt House and Canterbury House. I don't really want catered so my preference in self-catered and ensuite if possible but i'm not too bothered about sharing. As long as I have a washbasin :tongue:

At the moment I might go for Sheavyn, Richmond and either one of the halls from Victoria Park. But I'm not sure :s-smilie:

Any advice would be appreciated ^^

Victoria Hall is half private so there are lots of hidden fees including internet which is included in all other uni halls. It's also far away from other groups of halls and I don't know anyone who has lived there.

I wouldn't go for Canterbury as it's quite a long walk from bus routes which could be annoying on nights out and might require you to get taxis (which no one does, everyone uses the buses!). Burkhardt House is in a good location, close enough to not need a bus pass for uni (five minute walk to the SU) and right next to bus stops if you ever need to get to town/fallowfield. There's also a good sized Lidl right next to it and it's in a lovely quite setting a street behind the start of busy Rusholme (curry nights!). The Sheavyn and Richmond halls in Fallowfield are good but you will need a bus pass to get to uni, unless you're a very keen cyclist.

If ensuite isn't a big deal to you then maybe consider Oak House (Fallowfield) or some of the city shared halls by the Aquatics Centre that include Grosvenor Street Building, Grosvenor, and Bowden. The latter are right next to a lot of popular clubs and bars.

I have photos of the accommodation in the link in my signature.
(edited 11 years ago)
When they say you can't set up your own wifi does this mean don't set up your own connection or don't make their connection into a wifi hotspot?
Original post by ellakrystina
Victoria Hall is half private so there are lots of hidden fees including internet which is included in all other uni halls. It's also far away from other groups of halls and I don't know anyone who has lived there.

I wouldn't go for Canterbury as it's quite a long walk from bus routes which could be annoying on nights out and might require you to get taxis (which no one does, everyone uses the buses!). Burkhardt House is in a good location, close enough to not need a bus pass for uni (five minute walk to the SU) and right next to bus stops if you ever need to get to town/fallowfield. There's also a good sized Lidl right next to it and it's in a lovely quite setting a street behind the start of busy Rusholme (curry nights!). The Sheavyn and Richmond halls in Fallowfield are good but you will need a bus pass to get to uni, unless you're a very keen cyclist.

If ensuite isn't a big deal to you then maybe consider Oak House (Fallowfield) or some of the city shared halls by the Aquatics Centre that include Grosvenor Street Building, Grosvenor, and Bowden. The latter are right next to a lot of popular clubs and bars.

Ah that was really helpful, thank you :smile:
Original post by Hippokrates
When they say you can't set up your own wifi does this mean don't set up your own connection or don't make their connection into a wifi hotspot?

basically no routers allowed, so no personal wireless allowed :frown: but you can turn your laptop into a hotspot using conectify for other things like your phone or ipad :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I think they mean that they don't want you hooking up a wifi box to their internet so that other people can get it/it's less secure. I guess you could set up your own wifi with another provider as you do have a phone connection in your room (or at least I did in Oak House).
I think they mean that they don't want you hooking up a wifi box to their internet so that other people can get it/it's less secure. I guess you could set up your own wifi with another provider as you do have a phone connection in your room (or at least I did in Oak House).

Thank you, does oak house have an wifi areas? What else does it have other than a bedrooms and kitchens?
Thank you, does oak house have an wifi areas? What else does it have other than a bedrooms and kitchens?

To my knowledge Oak House doesn't have any wifi areas. Oak House has a post room, music room, bar and study rooms.
Reply 595
Thinking of applying for either in Whitworth Park or Grosvenor Place. Was wondering how many people are usually in the flat together? I'm guessing about 6/8ish? Also do you know whether you can apply for particular Halls in whitworth park? Or do you just get any?
Original post by Zoeoeh
Thinking of applying for either in Whitworth Park or Grosvenor Place. Was wondering how many people are usually in the flat together? I'm guessing about 6/8ish? Also do you know whether you can apply for particular Halls in whitworth park? Or do you just get any?

Whitworth Park is more flat based (although over two to three levels which is weird) but Grosvenor Place is hall based, where you're literally living along a hallway. To my knowledge Whitworth usually has about eight people in a flat, and Grosvenor has 10-14 people on a hallway.

You can't apply for any particular hall/building within a complex. The only students who can do that are postgraduate students who are usually all housed together.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi, just wondering which halls are closest to the Ellen Wilkinson building/ devas street?.. or will it just be the City campus in general?

Hiya. Can I get your help please..
I like going out but need some quiet time too. I also want self catered and an en suite. I think i've narrowed it down to Richmond, Lambert and Burkhardt house. or Sheavyn house because of the sports facilities. I will be based at the ellen wilkinson building/devas street for my course - so I don't really mind having to cycle or take the bus. Thank you.
Original post by somebodyguideme
Hiya. Can I get your help please..
I like going out but need some quiet time too. I also want self catered and an en suite. I think i've narrowed it down to Richmond, Lambert and Burkhardt house. or Sheavyn house because of the sports facilities. I will be based at the ellen wilkinson building/devas street for my course - so I don't really mind having to cycle or take the bus. Thank you.

Burkhardt would be a good choice as it's right next to bus stops but is also easily within walking distance to your building. If you're going to be mainly on the Oxford Road campus then I'd avoid Lambert just because it's on the other campus and annoying to get the uni bus all the time. Sheavyn House is nice but the sports facilities aren't included and tbh the gym's very small and shared by a lot of students.

If you're keen about needing the gym then I'd advise you apply to Whitworth Park (right on campus, but shared bathrooms) as it has its own gym which is super cheap, or Burkhardt House which has a very good private gym nearby 'Momentum Leisure' which I use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending