The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Complaining1
Not here to ask or swap but it is interesting to see that the accomodation allocation process seems to have left a large number of people unhappy, whether it’s getting a room that’s completely beyond people’s choices or rooms that do not fit the budgets of the students forcing them to swap or pay more than they can (i.e the expensive ones like Unsworth or catered options). My friend applied very early on (I understand that this is not allocated on a first come first serve basis which is in itself peculiar), for all en-suite options as she is anxious and is slowly recovering from an eating disorder; now she’s in shared bathroom accomodation without a basin. This has also further stressed her parents out who were already worried enough about her.

I know that it’s an extremely difficult task for the uni and I appreciate their efforts. It’s hard to assign a choice that EVERYONE is satisfied with especially for the people who are wanting things like “better social scene” etc. but you would think the bare minimum is that more people would get their preferred choices of catered/non & en-suite/shared.

And I know there are many others like my friend who haven’t even entered any of the swap threads as she didn’t want to bother anyone else; it’s more than the couple hundred we see on these threads who are unhappy.

Seeing my friend go through this has made me reconsider this uni for next year; not because I’m picky about accomodation, but if the uni can’t even sort out a good system for something as basic as accomodation, it goes to show what the uni really is all about when it comes to caring for their students.

But good luck to everyone this year and be kind to each other.

But there are around 7500 students for this accommodation - it would be impossible to keep every single person happy! They will use a system which makes the most people happy.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by MediocreSince01
But there are around 7500 students for this accommodation - it would be impossible to keep every single person happy! They will use a system which makes the most people happy.

I appreciate your response and as I have already acknowledged I have the common sense to understand that this system is not perfect and it’s hard to satisfy everyone. But the root of the problem really isn’t that...it’s more that the allocation system doesn’t take into context a student’s health, budget or religious reasons if relevant. For example, many who have been offered cheaper accomodation seem to be implying (in the swap thread) that they do not mind spending more money for an en-suite or catered option etc, compared to many who have been allocated very expensive accomodation cannot pay the price and thus are looking for a swap. Would it not have made more sense to have take into account budget limits when considering accommodation applications before allocation? This post could be a lot longer with many more examples but I think I’ve made my point enough.
Thank you again for trying to explain though.
hi, male undergrad offered owens park in tower with basin
want to swap for any accommodation in city or victoria park, preferably self catered and/or with an en suite
Not here to ask or swap but it is interesting to see that the accomodation allocation process seems to have left a large number of people unhappy, whether it’s getting a room that’s completely beyond people’s choices or rooms that do not fit the budgets of the students forcing them to swap or pay more than they can (i.e the expensive ones like Unsworth or catered options). My friend applied very early on (I understand that this is not allocated on a first come first serve basis which is in itself peculiar), for all en-suite options as she is anxious and is slowly recovering from an eating disorder; now she’s in shared bathroom accomodation without a basin. This has also further stressed her parents out who were already worried enough about her.

I know that it’s an extremely difficult task for the uni and I appreciate their efforts. It’s hard to assign a choice that EVERYONE is satisfied with especially for the people who are wanting things like “better social scene” etc. but you would think the bare minimum is that more people would get their preferred choices of catered/non & en-suite/shared.

And I know there are many others like my friend who haven’t even entered any of the swap threads as she didn’t want to bother anyone else; it’s more than the couple hundred we see on these threads who are unhappy.

Seeing my friend go through this has made me reconsider this uni for next year; not because I’m picky about accomodation, but if the uni can’t even sort out a good system for something as basic as accomodation, it goes to show what the uni really is all about when it comes to caring for their students.

But good luck to everyone this year and be kind to each other.

I don’t know what alternatives they could use though? There are thousands of students applying for accommodation (many of whom can be assumed to be happy, we only see messages from those who aren’t), and this was also the first year they used this system, so it will unfortunately have a few issues.

It’s not done on first come first serve because that would ultimately unfairly disadvantage students who come through clearing or have UoM as their insurance; they physically CANT apply earlier than results day.

It’s unfortunate that your friend has suffered as a result of the system, and of course it would be better if she had gotten what she needed, but there is simply no way for them to regulate things in that way. They could allow people to enter in requirements, but people are also ****ty and would put requirements that aren’t actually a NEED, they just WANT them (thus defeating the object of the system). This is a long response I know, but I also don’t think it’s fair to harshly criticise a university for it’s admissions process, when ultimately they all kind of suck. I am the youngest of 4, and we’ve all been through the uni allocation mess, and trust me, from top notch unis to lower ranked ones, they’ve all had their problems.
Reply 6164
I appreciate your response and as I have already acknowledged I have the common sense to understand that this system is not perfect and it’s hard to satisfy everyone. But the root of the problem really isn’t that...it’s more that the allocation system doesn’t take into context a student’s health, budget or religious reasons if relevant. For example, many who have been offered cheaper accomodation seem to be implying (in the swap thread) that they do not mind spending more money for an en-suite or catered option etc, compared to many who have been allocated very expensive accomodation cannot pay the price and thus are looking for a swap. Would it not have made more sense to have take into account budget limits when considering accommodation applications before allocation? This post could be a lot longer with many more examples but I think I’ve made my point enough.
Thank you again for trying to explain though.

Wow I mean I kinda agree with you as I do feel bad for people I have spoken to who have been stuck with
Unsworth and can’t afford it but at the same time, as you’ve said, no system is perfect. Like the anonymous responder expressed, the ideal system you spoke of is likely to be abused where people will say what they want is what they need. However I do agree that maybe during allocation, even if conditions of religion or health can’t be considered, they should ask you roughly what your budget is since that could give them at least some idea what they’re doing and theoretically improve other factors (I.e those willing to pay more most likely also want en-suite which they’d have a higher chance of getting it). I also want to suggest that you really shouldn’t disregard a university option based on your friend’s experiences - especially since this university itself has so much to offer and honestly, the accomodation is just one year of your life before you move out. Also, (not that you don’t have a right to express you’re opinion of course because you have raised many good points), but critical comments like yours being spread on the internet and giving the university pretty bad press could lead to the accomodation office getting into a lot of trouble when it is not necessarily their fault- of course I’m just speculating. Anyways I hope that your friend sorts things out and I’d like to remind her that she does still have the option of applying for a swap in October if she isn’t doing well!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi living at iQ Wilmslow park
Really nice sliver en-suite with a double bed
About 10 mins from main uni buildings
PM for more info xx
Male undergrad offered a room in Richmond Park. Looking to swap for oak house, whitworth Park, or anything that’s relatively cheap. My Instagram is mattjacqs and my Snapchat is Matthew.jacques
Male
Undergraduate
Accommodation Offered: Owens Park
Desired Accommodation: Unsworth Park

£100 to anyone who switches with me...
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey I’ve been given Hulme Hall on Victoria Park Campus - Standard Room with Basin
Catered

Really want Unsworth, self catered, en-suite.
Or possibly Richmond

I am willing to pay for a switch x
Unsworth ???Hi, Got my place to start manny in 2021 - just wondering if anyone has updates on the Unsworth scene? The accom looks lovely but I'm not to sure on the reputation yet. I would love a more social/lively place - is this what Unsworth is like?Thanks!!!
I am only arriving at campus next year . In this case, how do I proceed with accommodation application? Will the uni still offer one or I have to look else where? If the uni does offer, when do I start application ?
Original post by Nikhil Nair
I am only arriving at campus next year . In this case, how do I proceed with accommodation application? Will the uni still offer one or I have to look else where? If the uni does offer, when do I start application ?

You have to email the accommodation office and they will provide relevant guidance.
I got Owens Park in Tree Court. My mate on my CS course tells me it is called Ket Towers. Is this true?
Original post by woodwj
I got Owens Park in Tree Court. My mate on my CS course tells me it is called Ket Towers. Is this true?

Probably not
Hi!

I’ve recently moved out of my accommodation so need to fill the room so I don’t have to continue paying the fees for it - if someone is not in Manchester Uni Halls and they want to be / didn’t get their first choice accom, my room was at Richmond Park and is now available. PM me if you’re interested in taking it.
Hi guys, I got Whitworth Park
Room Type: Standard Bedroom
Self Catered: Yes

I want Oak House because this accommodation costs more than my disability benefits and definitely won't fit into my budget; whereas Oak House can in a pinch! Anyone kind enough to help me out, even if it's just to get closer to the labs and nightclubs, would be hugely appreciated xx
Original post by chloebird
Hi guys, I got Whitworth Park
Room Type: Standard Bedroom
Self Catered: Yes

I want Oak House because this accommodation costs more than my disability benefits and definitely won't fit into my budget; whereas Oak House can in a pinch! Anyone kind enough to help me out, even if it's just to get closer to the labs and nightclubs, would be hugely appreciated xx

I suggest you reach out to the accommodation office to ask for a swap based on your disability
Original post by Wired_1800
I suggest you reach out to the accommodation office to ask for a swap based on your disability

Great news! I applied to transfer a few days ago and, though I was doubtful, I was successful today! Thanks so much for the advice :smile:
Original post by chloebird
Great news! I applied to transfer a few days ago and, though I was doubtful, I was successful today! Thanks so much for the advice :smile:

how did u apply for a transfer? :smile:
Guys I am a second year student but I never lived in Manchester before as I was doing it online first year.
I did not get an offer for accommodation but I want to live in the Uni Halls.

Anyone got any ideas or ways for me to get to live in uni halls?

Is it possible for me take on someone's offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending