The Student Room Group

Help please - phd

Hi, I'm freaking out and need advice badly, please >.<

I'm starting my final year of a psychology degree in a month or whatever. First and second year marks averaged out as firsts both years.
I really want to do a PhD after, but I've been given a bunch of conflicting advice and I'm terrified that I'm going to mess up and do it wrong and yeah.

I've been told that although I can apply for advertised things when they come up there are like 200 applicants to a position atm and I'd be better off approaching people personally and asking them.
Buttttt, I have no idea how to do this or anything.
Do I have to have a proper research question sort of thing to ask someone if I want to be taken seriously? Or is it enough to be like I saw your research on this area and it looks super interesting, can I do a phd with you?
Because the first option I just don't feel like I know enough about anything really to do, but the second just seems too basic and completely lacking in showing any sort of original thought.

And I'm kind of figuring that I need to get people contacted soon if I'm going to do it this way so I have time to be turned down a bunch of times and still have time to apply for funding but I'm so scared to contact anyone until I know more what the done thing is so I don't make myself look like a complete idiot.

Thanks if anyone actually bothers to read through all that ramble >.<
Reply 1
Something as simple as "Dear Dr Dog, I am a third year student studying BSc Dogs and I am interested in the breeding of dogs. I have seen you have regularly been publishing in the field of the breeding of dogs and I was wondering if either you, or any of your colleagues would potentially have funding opportunities for the forthcoming academic year.

You get the idea. Showing initiative and actually pursuing funding shows how keen you are, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending