Stamford Street Apartments at King's College London Questions Watch

spapayanis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello everyone I am an incoming international student at King's College London and am going to be staying in the Stamford Street Apartments. I have several questions about SSA, and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me out.

1. How long of a walk is it from SSA to Strand Campus?

2. I see that it is a self-catered place, so I was wondering if there are any student cafeterias in the area that provide any type of meal plan you can pay for or discounts for students' meals?

3. How small are the bathrooms in the en-suite rooms?

Thanks for your help!
JC94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Walk to strand campus is like 10 minutes across the bridge and that's all i know about it
flying plum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Assuming nothing drastic has changed in the last 8 years (which it may well have done), the walk from halls to the strand is about 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you walk, and where your lecture/tutorial/seminar is. I used to make sure I left 20 mins before the start, so i wasn't red and sweaty, and wasn't just running straight into class.

I don't know of any student cafeterias, though there is the waterloo campus directly opposite that I understand has been developed more over the past few years, so it might have more than just the wee cafe that was there was I was an undergrad. There are plenty of pubs, and some of them do student discounts, but it's a lot cheaper if you just cook for yourself

The bathrooms are essentially a cupboard with a shower (with no curtain, it's a wetroomy type thing) on one side, a loo on the other, and a sink in the middle. Not the height of luxury, but perfectly functional, and nice if you need the loo in the middle of the night!

Personally, I loved the location, and missed living so close to the centre of town in second year when I moved south. and every year since, as i've never been able to afford to live so centrally ever again!
spapayanis
Rep:
?
(Original post by flying plum)
Assuming nothing drastic has changed in the last 8 years (which it may well have done), the walk from halls to the strand is about 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you walk, and where your lecture/tutorial/seminar is. I used to make sure I left 20 mins before the start, so i wasn't red and sweaty, and wasn't just running straight into class.

I don't know of any student cafeterias, though there is the waterloo campus directly opposite that I understand has been developed more over the past few years, so it might have more than just the wee cafe that was there was I was an undergrad. There are plenty of pubs, and some of them do student discounts, but it's a lot cheaper if you just cook for yourself

The bathrooms are essentially a cupboard with a shower (with no curtain, it's a wetroomy type thing) on one side, a loo on the other, and a sink in the middle. Not the height of luxury, but perfectly functional, and nice if you need the loo in the middle of the night!

Personally, I loved the location, and missed living so close to the centre of town in second year when I moved south. and every year since, as i've never been able to afford to live so centrally ever again!

Thank you! That was very helpful
Julianovi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi everyone)) who knows, how is SSA socially? and one question more, maybe it is stupid a little bit))
I am in the first time in London uni and I dont have any friends there yet. tell me, with who guys usually go to a fresher's week's parties if they will start in the early begining of our arrival? and I know that tickets selling has already begun. I dont want to go there alone
sorry again for a strange question)))
spapayanis
Rep:
?
I am probably going to the freshers week. Do you have to buy a ticket to go?
Artlover19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by spapayanis)
Hello everyone I am an incoming international student at King's College London and am going to be staying in the Stamford Street Apartments. I have several questions about SSA, and it would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me out.

2. I see that it is a self-catered place, so I was wondering if there are any student cafeterias in the area that provide any type of meal plan you can pay for or discounts for students' meals?

Thanks for your help!
Stamford Street is possibly the worst place to stay!

1. To be fair, it is a nice 15 minute walk to the Strand Campus, which is convenient.

2. The shared kitchen is a mess and a major inconvenience if you don't hit it off with your flatmates. The entire place is very antisocial anyway, and I found myself living like a loner in a cramped up apartment.

3. The bathrooms are incredibly small. Barely enough room to fit the toilet, sink and shower. Incredibly uncomfortable.

Despite the convenience of the location, I hated Stamford Street. I would have preferred a larger room with some breathing room a bit further away. Take my advice and choose some place a bit more comfortable. It sounds like it's your first year, so place comfort first - the last thing you have to worry about is being unhappy in a cramped up dorm room.
rf17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm an international student and was allocated a spacious studio at Moonraker Point. The room has its own bathroom and kitchen as well as a double bed, as opposed to single. It's relatively large - 18m squared.

I'm looking for a swap to the much more cramped Stamford Street Apartments. Anyone interested? If so, please message me or email me at [email protected]

Thank you so much!
rf17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Thanks for your help!
Are you, by any chance, interested in a swap to Moonraker Point? (I currently have a studio, but room type can be easily switched). Moonraker's rooms are bigger, bathrooms are more spacious and beds are bigger. It's also much more social and active. It's very close to the Strand by tube or bus, and is a 20 minute walk.

Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested x
IndiLuce
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey everyone,

I got a place at Stamford St. Apartments for September. I'll be an international post-grad student.
Can anyone tell me if they put post-grads in the same apt. in Stamford Street and also, are there many post-grads living at SSA?
thank you!
ktr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by IndiLuce)
Hey everyone,

I got a place at Stamford St. Apartments for September. I'll be an international post-grad student.
Can anyone tell me if they put post-grads in the same apt. in Stamford Street and also, are there many post-grads living at SSA?
thank you!
Yes, postgrads tend to be placed in apartments with other postgrads. I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but there were a decent number of postgrad students but I think the majority are undergraduates.
gtfo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey everyone,

thank you!
There are figures for this in one of the pdfs, if I remember correctly 1 in 4 people at SSA are postgrads.
IndiLuce
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also, does anyone have the exact measurements of the bedrooms at Stamford St? AND do you know if there is capacity for a shower curtain in the "bathroom?"
ktr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also, does anyone have the exact measurements of the bedrooms at Stamford St? AND do you know if there is capacity for a shower curtain in the "bathroom?"
It might be possible if there are telescoping rods which don't need to be drilled into walls to stay up...suction cups maybe? There isn't a ventilation system though so the curtain might just retain the moisture longer and cause mildew.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
BigYin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there everyone,

I'm due to start my course this September and I've been allocated a place in Great Dover Street Apartments. All my lectures will be on the Strand Campus and Waterloo Campus though, both of which are much closer to the Stamford Street Apartments.

If anyone wants to swap email me at [email protected].

Can't wait to start at Kings!
Leah01
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're interested to swap with me for Wolfson House(single room), please let me know! (:
Verona V
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys,

Does anyone want to swap for Great Dover Street Apartments (single room)? If YES, then contact me asap please.

Verona
smithy6
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Leah01)
If you're interested to swap with me for Wolfson House(single room), please let me know! (:
Hey I wouldn't ind swapping for a room in Wolfson! I'm at Great Dover Street
NidaAZ
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Verona V)
Hey guys,

Does anyone want to swap for Great Dover Street Apartments (single room)? If YES, then contact me asap please.

Verona
I've been offered halls at Moonraker point if you would like to swap with me?

Nida
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

15 minutes door to door.

There is a cafeteria across the road in Waterloo campus which does very cheap food, and there are plenty of cafes that do a student discount.

Thanks for your help!
All rooms are ensuite. Its just an inbuilt wetroom with toilet and shower, literally about the same floor area as a single bed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (164)
17.45%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (82)
8.72%
No I am happy with my course choice (560)
59.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (134)
14.26%

Watched Threads