The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Mobile operator with the best coverage

Hey,
I have bought a Pay As You Go SIM from Lebara Mobile recently and wonder how good the coverage is on campus.

Also it would be good to hear about other networks. I made some research and found that Orange and O2 have the best coverage on campus, do they? :smile:

And finally,
How hard is the process of porting my number from one network to another?
Are there any limitations of time, e.g. after activating my SIM card I will only be able to port it within the first 30 days or something like that?

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Orange is pretty good, and O2 is alright (you may have problems with signal inside some buildings). I have no idea about Lebara, but if they piggyback off of one of those two you should be fine.

As far as I'm aware, transferring your number is pretty easy. You should only need to request a Porting Authorisation Code (PAC) from your current operator. After that you can sign up with another network and use the PAC to move your number over to them.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ADG
I have no idea about Lebara, but if they piggyback off of one of those two you should be fine.

Just googled and found that they use Vodafone network.
Reply 3
Original post by kiradotee
Just googled and found that they use Vodafone network.

i know for a FACT that vodafone signal is **** around the management school area. my flat mate had to cancel his contract with them cos he had NO signal. he only got signal further up the spine towards furness.
Reply 4
From my few visits to campus Three are pretty decent and VF are hopeless (they are pretty well everywhere in NW outside city centres)
How is Tesco mobile up there? Currently with Orange but the contract is too expensive, looking for a cheaper one and the best I've found so far is with Tesco but if it's gonna be **** I'll stick with Orange, see if I can get a deal out of them!
Reply 6
Orange/TMobile/Virgin is pretty good. Orange shares signal with the other two so Orange is probably the best for signal overall.

I used to be pretty much the only one to get signal on the ground floor in my first year when I was on virgin.
Reply 7
From personal experience, orange and t-mobile are the best with O2 coming in third

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
Orange t mobile and 3 are good. Vodaphone is terrible.
Reply 9
My friend on O2 seems to get poor signal (or never picks up his phone before it goes to voicemail). I use giffgaff, which piggybacks off O2 and works well for me. It is definitely the best option for pay as you go and has some interesting offers. If you want to get a SIM please message me as I can get money for sending people SIM cards. Selfish and advertising I know but it's free money.
Reply 10
Original post by k9markiii
My friend on O2 seems to get poor signal (or never picks up his phone before it goes to voicemail). I use giffgaff, which piggybacks off O2 and works well for me. It is definitely the best option for pay as you go and has some interesting offers. If you want to get a SIM please message me as I can get money for sending people SIM cards. Selfish and advertising I know but it's free money.

What do you mean by 'piggybacks'?
Reply 11
Original post by Glee

I think he meant goodybags. :smile:

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags
Reply 12
Original post by Glee

Giffgaff uses o2s signal waves. You know how sometimes you can be stood next to your mate who is on the a different network and only one of you has signal. That's cos each network uses slightly different frequencies or something like that. Well Giffgaff uses o2s network. So does tesco iirc. Orange and t mobile use the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glee

I mean it uses the same coverage and basic masts as have been previously put up by O2. If there were no networks piggybacking off others every network would have to have separate masts put up at great expense and making the landscape ugly.
Just so you know, O2 is terrible around south west campus, so Lonsdale & Cartmel.

I was in cartmel in my first year and it was so bad that when I was in my room I had a square marked out by the window, and that was the only place in my room where I could get a signal, if my phone was in this 4x4 inch square!
Reply 15
Which is the best in Lonsdale and Management school?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 16
Original post by k9markiii
I mean it uses the same coverage and basic masts as have been previously put up by O2. If there were no networks piggybacking off others every network would have to have separate masts put up at great expense and making the landscape ugly.

Oh I see - thank you.

I have an iphone currently which I did not buy as part of a package deal as I bought it abroad. I have my sim in it and am thinking of buying this £10 goodybag deal but wish to still maintain my phone number. http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/10pound-facebook-goodybag

Is this arrangement possible?
(I am presently using ASDA - it was last minute it sucks)
ty in advance
Original post by Glee
Oh I see - thank you.

I have an iphone currently which I did not buy as part of a package deal as I bought it abroad. I have my sim in it and am thinking of buying this £10 goodybag deal but wish to still maintain my phone number. http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/10pound-facebook-goodybag

Is this arrangement possible?
(I am presently using ASDA - it was last minute it sucks)
ty in advance

Ye you will need to get a sim card, if I send you one you will get £5 credit on it for me recruiting a new person. You can do something called "transfer your PAC" or something to retain your old number. From my friends I've heard it's not difficult. I think you will need a micro sim for iphone. I will be able to send this sim if you could PM me your name, email adress and adress. It gets me £5 for signing someone up and the other person gets £5 credit on the sim. :smile:
Has anybody had success with Vodafone? I'm on Vodafone and will be living in Pendle Upgraded Standard.
Reply 19
Original post by jonythompson
Has anybody had success with Vodafone? I'm on Vodafone and will be living in Pendle Upgraded Standard.

Vodafone is terrible. Went to an open day, didn't get signal on campus all day. I've moved to orange so I can actually use my phone while at Lancaster

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending