The Student Room Group

UKCAT has got me down so hard.

Well, joy from AS results.

But the 600Q is OMFG so hard. The QR can take me 10 mins to work out a section. !!!!! The AR, some of the patterns are like WTF? I mean, drawing a straight line through triangles and circles is a pattern? How am I going to spot that in 15 seconds? WTF. I've only done a week of prep, but seeing on TSR that people are getting 700+ already in Medicine and dentistry forums has made me feel incredibly small. My UKCAT exam is on the 21st September, a month time. I'm doing like 1 and a half hours to 2 hours each day. But I feel like crying when I take so long or can't get a question. I've looked at the explanation for AR and it's just like WTF. QR is better, but just the issue of timing. Questions take so long and so much calculations though. HAven't even done the other two sections.

What other materials can I use? I know Kaplan and Medify are good. Going to maybe get Medify, but Kaplan is expensive.

Did anyone else find that the UKCAT prep is extremely hard when they first started? I just feel like my time and effort into GCSEs, work experience, AS results and extra curricular activities, personal statement will all go to waste on the day of my UKCAT.

Scroll to see replies

Try not to worry too much! The 600Q book was certainly harder than the real thing for me, especially the qualitative questions! Just familiarise yourself with the types of questions asked and work through the book! Remember, the UKCAT isn't the be all and end all if you're an otherwise strong candidate! Good luck :smile:

EDIT: I got 692.5 and only used the 600Q book
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by puddleduck
Try not to worry too much! The 600Q book was certainly harder than the real thing for me, especially the qualitative questions! Just familiarise yourself with the types of questions asked and work through the book! Remember, the UKCAT isn't the be all and end all if you're an otherwise strong candidate! Good luck :smile:

EDIT: I got 692.5 and only used the 600Q book

Thank's for the confidence boost, but what did you think of the book in your first week of prep? And how long did you prepare for it?
Reply 3
Dont Worry. Your response is not different to most of the people over here (including me). I felt the same way as well. But give yourself time to familarise and you'd see improvement both mentally and practically. I haven't done my test yet but its due by the end of this month. As for preparation stuff i did attend the kaplan course but it wasn't worth the money. Currently i m using medify and 600q book along with the kaplan book.
About the 600q book the Vr and DA section is pretty much similar to the actual Ukcat standard but QR AND AR are quite hard compared to the actual test ( this is what i ve heard from other people over here) so u can use the 600q for ar and qr jus to familarise with the harder questions but u dunt need to worry if u cant time them properly
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Saad2012
Dont Worry. Your response is not different to most of the people over here (including me). I felt the same way as well. But give yourself time to familarise and you'd see improvement both mentally and practically. I haven't done my test yet but its due by the end of this month. As for preparation stuff i did attend the kaplan course but it wasn't worth the money. Currently i m using medify and 600q book along with the kaplan book.
About the 600q book the Vr and DA section is pretty much similar to the actual Ukcat standard but QR AND AR are quite hard compared to the actual test ( this is what i ve heard from other people over here) so u can use the 600q for ar and qr jus to familarise with the harder questions but u dunt need to worry if u cant time them properly

Good luck on your exam. I feel for you. I can't wait to get this final year of schooling over with. The whole uni application process makes me feel sick.
Reply 5
Original post by Aillias
Good luck on your exam. I feel for you. I can't wait to get this final year of schooling over with. The whole uni application process makes me feel sick.

I knoww same here..Have u written ur P.S? And if you dont mind sharing what were your As grades?
The real test is easier than the 600Q Book. Just keep practicing and you'll do fine, good luck.
Original post by Aillias
Well, joy from AS results.

But the 600Q is OMFG so hard. The QR can take me 10 mins to work out a section. !!!!! The AR, some of the patterns are like WTF? I mean, drawing a straight line through triangles and circles is a pattern? How am I going to spot that in 15 seconds? WTF. I've only done a week of prep, but seeing on TSR that people are getting 700+ already in Medicine and dentistry forums has made me feel incredibly small. My UKCAT exam is on the 21st September, a month time. I'm doing like 1 and a half hours to 2 hours each day. But I feel like crying when I take so long or can't get a question. I've looked at the explanation for AR and it's just like WTF. QR is better, but just the issue of timing. Questions take so long and so much calculations though. HAven't even done the other two sections.

What other materials can I use? I know Kaplan and Medify are good. Going to maybe get Medify, but Kaplan is expensive.

Did anyone else find that the UKCAT prep is extremely hard when they first started? I just feel like my time and effort into GCSEs, work experience, AS results and extra curricular activities, personal statement will all go to waste on the day of my UKCAT.

You should definitely use medify I found it really useful. I gave up on 600Q as I found it too difficult. I got 810 in QR and 760 overall so in my opinion you should use medify.
Original post by Aillias
X

Original post by puddleduck

^This. I wasn't amazingly fast at the QR section, but the real thing was a lot simpler than the 600Q book. Just keep at it and you should get better with time. When I started, I was really, really bad at the UKCAT, especially the AR section as I couldn't even get 20% of the patterns, but it will get easier! PM me if you have any specific questions :smile:
The 600Q book is different to the real thing. Try to get the kaplan booklet off ebay or somewhere, it's very helpful.

AR is much simpler in the real test than in the 600Q book. Some are even as simple as "all shapes are squares" or "all shapes are triangles".
QR is tricky and i'm not very good at it either. I just guess the hard questions so I finish in time.
VR is quite straightforward, just practice scanning text for keywords.
DA is just piss easy and you get sufficient time to do it properly. Should be free marks.
Original post by Aillias
Thank's for the confidence boost, but what did you think of the book in your first week of prep? And how long did you prepare for it?

I'd familiarised myself with the format from websites and forums as soon as I realised I needed to take it (about a year before I took it)... which took about an hour. I promptly forgot about it and started working through the 600Q book around 2 or 3 weeks before my UKCAT. I didn't time my revision, rather worked through the book, timing myself on some questions and just working through others slowly.

I then did the practice tests in the book and also those on the website, scoring about 400-500 points :P At the start I was completely freaked out- the very first QR question in the 600Q book took me about 10 mins on its own! But when I took my test I found that as long as I stayed calm it was much easier than the questions I'd prepped on.

Hope that helped!
14 hours till the UKCAT, hopefully the questions i may have to guess will be to my favour!
Keep your chin up :smile: also the 600Q book was quite hard compared to the real thing. My best advice is to not get too caught up in thinking. Dont get me wrong, give it due thought but when youre not getting anywhere with it, just take a good guess and move on.

Wish you all the best! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by confused dot com
^This. I wasn't amazingly fast at the QR section, but the real thing was a lot simpler than the 600Q book. Just keep at it and you should get better with time. When I started, I was really, really bad at the UKCAT, especially the AR section as I couldn't even get 20% of the patterns, but it will get easier! PM me if you have any specific questions :smile:

OMFG. Yes. I can barely get any of the patterns at all. Some of the patterns in the answers is like WTF? Where on Earth did you manage to come up with that?
Reply 14
Original post by Saad2012
I knoww same here..Have u written ur P.S? And if you dont mind sharing what were your As grades?

I don't mind sharing, but I don't know how detailed you want me to go into.

I did 4 AS + General Studies.

Maths B (getting remarked, cos modules were AAC?)
Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A

I was so happy with my results, apart from Maths, cos I worked so hard for 2 months everyday for like 2 hours since the beginning of March, and it paid off as I got high UMS in both bio and chem.

After getting AS results, I was so happy, cos combined with GCSEs, sport, music, participation within school, spent so long on my personal statement, I felt that I was on the top of the world.

Then UKCAT revision came and I feel like I am going to get murdered by this UKCAT. FML.
Reply 15
How expensive is medify anyway?
Reply 16
Original post by Aillias
I don't mind sharing, but I don't know how detailed you want me to go into.

I did 4 AS + General Studies.

Maths B (getting remarked, cos modules were AAC?)
Biology A
Chemistry A
Physics A

I was so happy with my results, apart from Maths, cos I worked so hard for 2 months everyday for like 2 hours since the beginning of March, and it paid off as I got high UMS in both bio and chem.

After getting AS results, I was so happy, cos combined with GCSEs, sport, music, participation within school, spent so long on my personal statement, I felt that I was on the top of the world.

Then UKCAT revision came and I feel like I am going to get murdered by this UKCAT. FML.

I jus wanted to know the subjects and grades so your provided info is fine..
Those are really good as grades...
Ur Luckkyy that u ve done everything else..I havent even started on my p.s and havent got a clue as to what to write and how to write??
U got any tips for me or did u use any other resource or sumthing like that..?

Medify is like £25 for the subscribtion and gives u access to all the questions and everything else till 6th of Oct(5th oct is the last day to sit the ukcat.)
Original post by Aillias
OMFG. Yes. I can barely get any of the patterns at all. Some of the patterns in the answers is like WTF? Where on Earth did you manage to come up with that?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but where did I come up with what?
You have nothing to lose by trying some free online tests - I had a look around and these are the sites that offer some: UKCAT site, jobtestprep, kaplan, and medify. Although I heard it is good to save the one on the UKCAT site to last
Reply 19
Original post by confused dot com
Sorry if this is a silly question, but where did I come up with what?

Ah, not you, I meant one of the patterns in the 600q book, I was just saying how on earth did they manage to come up with that? It feels like they just want you to not get the pattern and fail. Yay!!! >.>

Quick Reply

Latest