The Student Room Group

Dental hygiene/therapy Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Reply 201
Original post by Kp55555
Aaahh, well your not missing much. Just everyone introducing themselves etc...looking for houses. You found anywhere to live yet? One of the girls has suggested we all go for dinner the day before (14th) if your interested

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've not actually found anywhere yet, came up to have a look at a few properties but wasn't too impressed. I'm considering commuting, atleast for the first semester. I'll let you know closer to time in regards the dinner invite, thanks though.
Hi guys!

Congratulations to all of you that got a place for this year. I am really really wanting to get on this course next year! And wondered if any of you had any tips! I am currently a student at Hallam and have quite a lot of shadowing experience. Do you think that will stand against me as I have noticed a lot of you are already dental nurses? Any information would be greatly appreciated I'm keeping all my finger crossed for when I apply :smile: x
Reply 203
Hi Munchkin,

I for one am not a dental nurse, I completed my BSc as a mature student this summer just gone and applied for the Diploma at Sheffield, so from my person experience I can't say it stood against me. And to be honest, I think the main thing is to focus on bringing out your own passion and dedication and focus on that rather than trying to compare with others.

For definite, I was worried that it seemed everyone who applies for the diploma seems to have dental nursing background; but I put it to one side and told myself that this is what I want and the career I want to pursue so if I don't view myself as suitable how can I expect others to do the same.

Best of luck.
Hi, I'm a mature student, maybe applying for hygiene and therapy next year. What grades did you guys get and how did the interviews go? Thanks
Reply 205
Hello, I was wondering whether you can help answer the following question in regards to applying for this course at Sheffield. Thanks
1) why do you want to become a dental hygiene and therapist? Why do you think you will make a good dental hygiene and therapist
2) why is good communication important in dentistry
3)what does professional mean to you. Give an example where you've acted with integrity
4)why is teamwork important in dentistry? I was struggling to give an example as I don't do activities outside school with a team
Hey can you help? I have an interview but neverous
Original post by jalilahmusawi
Hey can you help? I have an interview but neverous

Hi jalilahmusawi,

University of Sheffield Alumni here. On our website we have some information about the interview, which should help you feel prepared: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/dentalschool/undergraduate/selection-process I'll also insert it below:
'Your interviews will be conducted using a semi-structured format and last up to 15 minutes. The interview panels comprise two members of academic staff and a senior dental student who are trained to assess you in the following three areas:
- Career Exploration
- Values, Personal Qualities; Communication Skills
- Commitment to Sheffield
You will be assessed in these areas using the information you have provided in your personal statement to guide some of the interviewer’s questions. Interviewers expect you to be able to demonstrate that you are well informed about your decision to study dentistry and your decision to study at Sheffield.'

This video may also help in knowing what to expect and seeing the experience of a Dental student who passed the interview process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPhhc2GYyI&feature=emb_imp_woyt It's created by Raina, one of our fourth year Dental students here at the University of Sheffield. You may also find Raina's website helpful: https://rainaonthecusp.com/

Also, if you go here https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat and search Dental Surgery, you will be able to find some of our current Dental students, who can chat to you.

It's normal to feel nervous for an interview - I've had many experiences of that myself, but personally once I get in and get started, I feel just fine knowing I have prepared and feel confident in my application so far and my ability!

I hope that helps, and best of luck for your interview!

- Danielle
Sheffield graduate
BA English and History
MA Historical Research
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest