Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Magickal
Cuth's is a good college to consider, as a Postgrad you'd be in Brooks House which is ensuite and self-catered, we have quite a supportive postgraduate community and there's plenty of integration with undergrads if you want.

Thanks! I'll look into that one!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
so after much deliberation, I've decided to apply to Durham rather than LSE for International Relations and then I realised I had to decide on colleges...

I definitely would prefer a catered, ensuite, single room college. Besides that, I also really don't care much for team sports but I do like snowboarding and going to the gym from time to time. also I want a college with a good bar hahaha. don't really care much for traditions or a chapel... I just want a relaxed place really and one that's close to my department so I don't have to walk much hehe. any suggestions? I'm edging towards St. Cuthbert, Van Mildert, St. Hilde & St. Bede

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I originally applied to St. Cuths but it was more of a spur of the moment decision because I really really just wanted to get my UCAS sent. Anyway, I realised that you might have to share rooms at Cuths, the reputation of it being full of post grads and that there isn't guaranteed full catering? I'm thinking of ringing up UCAS and asking if I could swap somewhere else.

I was thinking of Van Mildert (best bar and ducks? hell yeah) and Castle (because it's in a freaking Castle) but wasn't too sure because apparently Mildert has a smell thanks to the lake and Castle is so hard to get into. Basically, I just want a college that's not too traditional (though I suppose I wouldn't really mind gowns), has got a good bar, doesn't share rooms (sharing for a year at boarding school was bad enough) and isn't too sporty or artsy (I do want a good gym though but I don't want cliquey hockey/netball people :rolleyes:) Any opinions on colleges? I'm pretty set on Van Mildert at the moment because of it's TV, it's bar and it's gym but I figure I should put more thought into this rather than making a decision at 5 in the morning...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Eddyish
Well I originally applied to St. Cuths but it was more of a spur of the moment decision because I really really just wanted to get my UCAS sent. Anyway, I realised that you might have to share rooms at Cuths, the reputation of it being full of post grads and that there isn't guaranteed full catering? I'm thinking of ringing up UCAS and asking if I could swap somewhere else.

I was thinking of Van Mildert (best bar and ducks? hell yeah) and Castle (because it's in a freaking Castle) but wasn't too sure because apparently Mildert has a smell thanks to the lake and Castle is so hard to get into. Basically, I just want a college that's not too traditional (though I suppose I wouldn't really mind gowns), has got a good bar, doesn't share rooms (sharing for a year at boarding school was bad enough) and isn't too sporty or artsy (I do want a good gym though but I don't want cliquey hockey/netball people :rolleyes:) Any opinions on colleges? I'm pretty set on Van Mildert at the moment because of it's TV, it's bar and it's gym but I figure I should put more thought into this rather than making a decision at 5 in the morning...

Probably better to get in contact with Durham University admissions directly, rather than UCAS. Shouldn't be any problem with changing, as it's still an early stage of application.

You should probably relax a little about what you've heard of reputations of cliques, as living there is rarely what you'd expect. I've never heard of Cuth's having a postgrad reputation (though the room sharing and catering are valid reasons to change), not heard any complaints about Mildert smelling, and again never heard of sporty colleges being cliquey - they tend to get a good sporty reputation because they're welcoming, and have a large participation rate, rather than a small number of elites.

So, yeah, if you want to 100% avoid shared rooms, I think your 5am choice is pretty solid. (totes not the best bar, tho. Trevs all the way)
Reply 1184
Hey, I got an offer from Durham last week (woooo!) and I put University down as my college choice - however I've heard it's really difficult to get into? Can anyone confirm if this is true, and if you don't get into your first choice, do you get allocated to another college, or do you get another choice? Did anyone end up at a college they didn't choose last year, and if so, how are you finding it? Sorry if any of this has been asked before, and hopefully looking forward to seeing some of you next year :biggrin:
Original post by kaylazb
Hey, I got an offer from Durham last week (woooo!) and I put University down as my college choice - however I've heard it's really difficult to get into? Can anyone confirm if this is true, and if you don't get into your first choice, do you get allocated to another college, or do you get another choice? Did anyone end up at a college they didn't choose last year, and if so, how are you finding it? Sorry if any of this has been asked before, and hopefully looking forward to seeing some of you next year :biggrin:

Nah, you don't get a second choice (although I think you should). However, I should also say college allocation is entirely random, so you have exactly the same chance as any other person applying to university.
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Nah, you don't get a second choice (although I think you should). However, I should also say college allocation is entirely random, so you have exactly the same chance as any other person applying to university.

I'm pretty sure college allocation is not entirely random. I was under the impression there was a quota for each subject and that they also considered the benefit you'd bring to their college.

Found this on the university college website -
"Gaining a place in this College is dependent on academic merit and on the contribution we think you can make to our community, based on your personal statement."
Original post by Lucilou101
I'm pretty sure college allocation is not entirely random. I was under the impression there was a quota for each subject and that they also considered the benefit you'd bring to their college.

"Gaining a place in this College is dependent on academic merit and on the contribution we think you can make to our community, based on your personal statement."

Well you're right about quotas, but the rest is entirely random, they don't look at personal statements or grades anymore. A computer allocates colleges based on the best fit of preferences disclosed.
Well you're right about quotas, but the rest is entirely random, they don't look at personal statements or grades anymore. A computer allocates colleges based on the best fit of preferences disclosed.

Evidently not if you look at the quote I provided...
I found your quote on the website:

But in the email I received upon sending my UCAS it says - " Where an applicant has expressed a preference for a college and the college has space then the applicant will be offered a place there. If the number of applicants with departmental offers expressing a preference for a college exceeds the space available then the allocation will be a blind selection of those applicants."

I'm not sure which one is more true, although I'm sure the website could be outdated. I doubt the email is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1190

I think probably college allocation is a bit of both things maybe, perhaps they do "choose" some people, perhaps it is random :smile: this is a really useful quote though, thank you! Based on what it says, hope they do see something in my personal statement they like enough to want me there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kaylazb

Yes, University is hard to get into - have a look at this for an example
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtmBRjxXlts9dFFkVkxpNkJad0d3SFFHSTlQMFlzY0E#gid=0
As said, you'll be allocated elsewhere if you don't get in, and we're not entirely sure how the process works.
Generally speaking, people who are assigned to a different college learn to love it pretty quickly - they're all good places to live, and have fantastic stuff going on.

If anyone finds out for sure, I'd love you to bits if you could update the entry in the forum FAQ. Information about the process has been really dodgy for the past couple of years, largely because it keeps changing.
Original post by Helioghost
Yes, University is hard to get into - have a look at this for an example
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtmBRjxXlts9dFFkVkxpNkJad0d3SFFHSTlQMFlzY0E#gid=0
As said, you'll be allocated elsewhere if you don't get in, and we're not entirely sure how the process works.
Generally speaking, people who are assigned to a different college learn to love it pretty quickly - they're all good places to live, and have fantastic stuff going on.

If anyone finds out for sure, I'd love you to bits if you could update the entry in the forum FAQ. Information about the process has been really dodgy for the past couple of years, largely because it keeps changing.

I'm fairly sure the system this year is that allocation is no longer done by the senior tutor, basically if your chosen college isn't full for your course then you get first choice and then if not you are randomly allocated to another college. I think the websites of colleges haven't been changed to update this yet.
Reply 1193
Hi! :smile:
I'm interested in John Snow college, may I know of the traditions they have there?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hello, are there any students on here that are currently at St Chad's? I've put the College as my preferred choice and I've already received an offer (unconditional), so I guess I'm just waiting to see where I get allocated and hoping for Chad's! How has your experience been so far? Especially regarding shared rooms. I was also wondering if anyone had any photos of the College? Large enough for a desktop background (>1920x1080). Thanks!
Reply 1195
Original post by alicefrances
Hey, so basically i have had a right mare and have only decided today that i really want to do sport, exercise and physical activity at durham uni, i haven't visited the uni, and ive just realised i need to put down a college, its in durham city, but i am literally clueless about any of this stuff..

i am an athlete so track facilities are quite important to me, is there any particular college that is suited to athletics or is particularly good at sport that would suit my application?

HELP! :confused::confused::confused:

Definitely Collingwood. Two years running overall Sports Champions, this year's academic trophy too, if I'm not mistaken.
Reply 1196
Original post by Jam Jam24
Hey there, I was thinking of applying to either Collingwood or trevelyn college. I was just wondering how their gyms compare, which one is bigger and less busier for example? :smile: cheers

Can talk about Collingwood gym since I've used it, no idea about Trev's gym though sorry! Collingwood gym is of a moderate size but very well equipped, recently had some new things brought in, haven't been in a while. Generally busier in the evenings compared to the rest of the day but you can always find a time slot when you'll have it to yourself, more or less. I'd say it's very good compared to St Aidan's which is the only other gym that I have seen.
Hope that helps.
Reply 1197
I am looking for a traditional college near the centre that is friendly and has a decent international population. Also one that has strong music - chapel choir, ensembles etc. I will be applying for psychology but expect to be involved with many university music activities. Thinking about Hatfield...?
Thank you!
Reply 1198
anybody can tell which is durham's best college for International relations\politics?
Original post by pai2502
Can talk about Collingwood gym since I've used it, no idea about Trev's gym though sorry! Collingwood gym is of a moderate size but very well equipped, recently had some new things brought in, haven't been in a while. Generally busier in the evenings compared to the rest of the day but you can always find a time slot when you'll have it to yourself, more or less. I'd say it's very good compared to St Aidan's which is the only other gym that I have seen.
Hope that helps.

Yeah thanks a lot man, I prefer not to wait for weights so having gym to myself is a bonus. Collingwood is meant to be the sporty one do gym must be improved. I was wondering if trev and Collingwood are near the biomedical building if you've got any idea? Cheers a lot man x

Quick Reply

Latest