The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Recommend Me A College' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by socraticdemise
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I did notice both of those buildings in my most recent search.
Maybe I should list Chad’s and Cuth’s as my documented preferences (and with the guaranteed accommodation, in the worst case I just end up somewhere else). Would it be extremely unlikely that if I express a preference for Castle, that it will be accepted (it rejects the most, yeah?)? The New Kepier Court site seems ideal.

I don't see why Castle would have a high rejection rate for postgraduates, considering that it has one of the largest postgraduate populations (second to Ustinov, I think).

I will most likely go with Castle and stay in New Kepier Court. You get the perks of being a member of the quintesential Durham college, all the while living in modern accommodation with your own en-suite. The only downside is the location, but as I've said, getting around Durham isn't too difficult.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Does anyone know anything about the new John Snow college being built? Are the rooms en-suite? And would you compare John Snow to Josephine Butler?? Thanks :smile:))
Original post by MyNameIsDave
The most active social people tend to have a social life involving parties and going out, which tends to involve alcohol, yes.

Being partial to both the red red wine and wonderous dark ale I find myself torn. Social often becomes antisocial ... and many would rather not sacrifice their 2.1 at the alter of "socialable" morons spewing their guts between lullabies at 2am three nights each week. My personal preferences tend to revolve around sharing body heat with a friend on a cold northern night. That's just my radical idea of being socialable. Ability to recall the friends name and number or share porridge in the morning is a bonus.
Hi!

I’m goign to be studying economics and finance MSc at Durham in sept. I’m really lost with the college system. I would greatly appreciate any help! I a, a female (I know my username is male!) I plan to reside in my college.

1. I would love a sociable college despite being a postgraduate. A nice amount of postgraduates would be good
2. An ensuite room would be good.
3. I’m not too fussed about whether it is catered or self catered.
If it is catered does that mean you don’t get a kitchen?

Thanks again guys! ^_^
Original post by davidwant
Hi!

I’m goign to be studying economics and finance MSc at Durham in sept. I’m really lost with the college system. I would greatly appreciate any help! I a, a female (I know my username is male!) I plan to reside in my college.

1. I would love a sociable college despite being a postgraduate. A nice amount of postgraduates would be good
2. An ensuite room would be good.
3. I’m not too fussed about whether it is catered or self catered.
If it is catered does that mean you don’t get a kitchen?

Thanks again guys! ^_^

If you've been accepted then I think you'll already have been allocated a college :smile: Sounds like Ustinov would be your best bet.
Original post by Durfess
If you've been accepted then I think you'll already have been allocated a college :smile: Sounds like Ustinov would be your best bet.

Thank you! It turns out I still have to pick a college. I’m thinking of Ustinov and butler or Aidan’s as a backup.

I’m a bit confused about the application process, is the about me section mandatory?
Original post by davidwant
Thank you! It turns out I still have to pick a college. I’m thinking of Ustinov and butler or Aidan’s as a backup.

I’m a bit confused about the application process, is the about me section mandatory?

It's usually used to fit you into blocks with people you're liable to get along with.
What are people’s thoughts on Trevelyan?
Hi, I'm going to a Durham open day on Saturday and was just wondering which colleges I should check out.
I don't want a big college. I'm social and want to make lots of friends if I get into Durham and join societies, but not bothered about sports. I'd definitely prefer a diverse crowd, not just rich kids. A nice location, not too bothered if I have to walk/cycle for ten minutes to get to a lecture. And I'm applying for history.
Thanks guys 😊
I have honestly not explored my options at all and thus don’t know anything about Durham.
I’d like my college to be
1) Grand looking and big
2) Convenient location for a law student
3) Catered- good food
4) Maybe known as ‘academic’
5) gym and pool?
Thoughts on St Mary's? Am thinking of applying there having visited and liked it but would be helpful to get an insider's opinion
Reply 1511
HELP!! I'm about to apply to durham for psychology but sadly didn't make it to any of the open days... Looking online, I've narrowed my choice of college down to st mary's and st cuthbert's but I really can't decide between the two. I'd be so grateful for ANY opinions from people who have visited the colleges or know something about them.

Thank you!!
Original post by ccmx
HELP!! I'm about to apply to durham for psychology but sadly didn't make it to any of the open days... Looking online, I've narrowed my choice of college down to st mary's and st cuthbert's but I really can't decide between the two. I'd be so grateful for ANY opinions from people who have visited the colleges or know something about them.

Thank you!!

Do you want a Catered or Self-Catered college and gowned or not?
I'm an international student applying for history, and I have no idea which college I would like to apply to.
Could some of you guys help out?
Heres a bit about me if it helps:
I don't mind having roommates, as long as the room itself isn't too small. I am really into music, and I will definitely be looking into participating in the symphony orchestra. I'm also into competitive debating and quizzing, which I will also pursue in university. I am not very athletic, but I really enjoy watching and playing football-just not the best at it. I haven't really partied in high school (nor was I part of "that" crowd), so I can't really say if it's something that I'll enjoy or not. I'm not religious, but I've read many religious texts and keen to explore more. In terms of political alignment, I'm definitely a progressive. Finally, I don't mind walking.
Ok, so hopefully someone can give me some valuable advice here, apologies if you have to repeat anything you’ve already said.

I’ve applied for PPE, so location is obviously important - people seem to have suggested hill colleges are good for this overall, and I would also like to be relatively close to the sports campus but this doesn’t matter quite as much. Although, I would like a sportier college if possible.

Aside from this I would prefer a bigger college, catered, very sociable/going out culture, perhaps some formals, and I’m a boarding school type so some extent to which there are similar people would be nice but defo want to diverse away from that a bit.

Other than that some good looking people would be great ahahha :wink: somewhat joking

At this point, Grey and Collingwood are the ones on my radar but don’t know whether Hild Bede or something would be good too?

Sorry for the mega detail overload but I would MASSIVELY appreciate some help here :smile:
Hi!
I'm applyig for Economics and Politics and looking for an inexpensive college with quiet atmosphere. What would you recommend?
when do allocations start for 2019? also can anyone show me what their college allocation email looked like?
Original post by Phoebe Jones
when do allocations start for 2019? also can anyone show me what their college allocation email looked like?

Allocations start next week Monday, I haven't got the email confirming where I'll be allocated to (I changed my preference to Castle, it originally was St Cuths.) Once I get mine I'll show you
I found this table which compares all of the Durham colleges! Hopefully it might help anyone who's thinking about changing their preference :h:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ug/table/
where are you from

Original post by Chansail
I'm an international student applying for history, and I have no idea which college I would like to apply to.
Could some of you guys help out?
Heres a bit about me if it helps:
I don't mind having roommates, as long as the room itself isn't too small. I am really into music, and I will definitely be looking into participating in the symphony orchestra. I'm also into competitive debating and quizzing, which I will also pursue in university. I am not very athletic, but I really enjoy watching and playing football-just not the best at it. I haven't really partied in high school (nor was I part of "that" crowd), so I can't really say if it's something that I'll enjoy or not. I'm not religious, but I've read many religious texts and keen to explore more. In terms of political alignment, I'm definitely a progressive. Finally, I don't mind walking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending