Turn on thread page Beta

sheffield halls help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi
    stephenson hall seems to be the nicest, but how true is what i have read that there are lots of gap year ppl & 'toffs'?i am neither & wld like to be with some people that are a bit like me when/if i first arrive (im going to be stressed enough as it is).
    apart from this, there isnt much info about earnshaw hall anywhere - i saw it from the outside & it seemed ok,but any hints on what its like inside?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    hi
    stephenson hall seems to be the nicest, but how true is what i have read that there are lots of gap year ppl & 'toffs'?i am neither & wld like to be with some people that are a bit like me when/if i first arrive (im going to be stressed enough as it is).
    apart from this, there isnt much info about earnshaw hall anywhere - i saw it from the outside & it seemed ok,but any hints on what its like inside?
    thanks
    Tapton Hall is the most toffish.

Stephenson is a nice place with a good feel to it, and a nice bar as well.

Earnshaw is the hub of Endcliffe area, and is in a nice position, - and is alright to look at from the outside; has the best bar (except for the Union), it's own Pizza bar, and the accomodation in there isn't too bad either - certainly sufficient for what us students need it for, and that's to sleep in, and occasionally do a bit of work.

The IT centre in Sorby is right next door, and so Earnshaw, is well suited to most things, with people in both Earnshaw, and Sorby halls (Sorby being the big highrise!), being the most down to earth.

Stephenson is a nice place to live also, set between even more trees, and the building looks quite nice too.

Theres nothing wrong with any of Stephenson or Earnshaw; as I say, the main one for Toffs is Tapton.

What are you going to be studying ?

ReputationRep:
    hi
    thanks
    Hey! I'm in the same position, although I'm taking a gap year so I'm thinking Stephenson so then I'll be around people who are my age. Why is Stephenson all gap year people? is it just thats its the nicest one and so gappers are more likely to get a place there? Ranmoor looks good also, but its very big and I think a little daunting. What are you studying?

hi
    stephenson hall seems to be the nicest, but how true is what i have read that there are lots of gap year ppl & 'toffs'?
    thanks
    What's wrong with gap year ppl??? (i'm one of them obviously).. does 1 year really make that much of a difference at university?

ReputationRep:
    Went to the sheffield open day, only got to see Halifax hall, but I'd say Ranmoor, biggest is usually best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Geezer)
    Went to the sheffield open day, only got to see Halifax hall, but I'd say Ranmoor, biggest is usually best!
    Ranmoor is a cushy place to live, but is that little bit further away than Sorby and Earnshaw - (ie the other side of the Holiday Inn on Fulwood Road).

Walking times to University from Ranmoor each morning are approximately 35 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys checked out the food before you all decided to go catered?

ReputationRep:
    my bmates at ranmoor and she says the food is disgusting and horrible. she likes the hall but wishes she'd gone self catered cos ends up buying ak her food. most of the people i spoke to when i visited her said the food was revolting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyboo)
    my bmates at ranmoor and she says the food is disgusting and horrible. she likes the hall but wishes she'd gone self catered cos ends up buying ak her food. most of the people i spoke to when i visited her said the food was revolting!

but to be fair....you haven't tasted my cooking!

ReputationRep:
    It may be an idea to look at the sample menus before you decide on catered
    http://www.shef.ac.uk/housing/halls/...nal_info/menus
    I'm veggie and the amount of cheese in the sample menus was what put me off catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Tapton Hall is the most toffish.

Stephenson is a nice place with a good feel to it, and a nice bar as well.

Earnshaw is the hub of Endcliffe area, and is in a nice position, - and is alright to look at from the outside; has the best bar (except for the Union), it's own Pizza bar, and the accomodation in there isn't too bad either - certainly sufficient for what us students need it for, and that's to sleep in, and occasionally do a bit of work.

The IT centre in Sorby is right next door, and so Earnshaw, is well suited to most things, with people in both Earnshaw, and Sorby halls (Sorby being the big highrise!), being the most down to earth.

Stephenson is a nice place to live also, set between even more trees, and the building looks quite nice too.

Theres nothing wrong with any of Stephenson or Earnshaw; as I say, the main one for Toffs is Tapton.

What are you going to be studying ?

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to be studying ba geography, & i've already selected it as my firm so if i get the grades i'll be arriving in sheffield in sept!
    There's nothing wrong with gap yr people, just that having a year of independence might make you very different to people like me who have come straight from school& are leaving home for the first time.
    Hopefully the accommodation form will arrive soon so i can just get it over with then forget about things till the summer. uni will be fun wherever i stay so i'm not going to worry about it too much - but about the food quality, anything is better than what i can make, then 2nd yr i'll just have to deal with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    but to be fair....you haven't tasted my cooking!
    hahahaha true!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to be studying ba geography, & i've already selected it as my firm so if i get the grades i'll be arriving in sheffield in sept!
    There's nothing wrong with gap yr people, just that having a year of independence might make you very different to people like me who have come straight from school& are leaving home for the first time.
    Hopefully the accommodation form will arrive soon so i can just get it over with then forget about things till the summer. uni will be fun wherever i stay so i'm not going to worry about it too much - but about the food quality, anything is better than what i can make, then 2nd yr i'll just have to deal with it!
    Doing law there come this September (Isn't it October when we start?).

ReputationRep:
    This year freshers was at the end of sept and then term started in october.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I think freshers week is at the end of september.
    btw i spoke on the phone to someone who went to sheffield a few yrs ago (she left about 6yrs ago) last night-she lived in stephenson when she was a fresher & loved it.she stayed in a seperate house from the main bit with about 20 people although it was still part of the hall.she said that all of the halls were good in comparison to what you can end up with elsewhere, but that she would recommend stephenson (but everyone says that about their hall!)
    i'm fed up with a-levels at the moment, just want to get them over with so i can go on holiday with my mates (sidari in corfu - should be excellent!) then leave for uni!

ReputationRep:
    hellooo amy! guess who? was surprised to c u had joined up
    oh sorry dont have ne useful info about sheffield to give u lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mastani)
    hellooo amy! guess who? was surprised to c u had joined up
    oh sorry dont have ne useful info about sheffield to give u lol...
    I WONDER! see you monday smriti.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Intro week begins on Monday 20th September, which means moving into accomodation starts on Saturday 18th September.

Teaching will start on Monday 27th September.

ReputationRep:
    be warned tho, induction week is tediously boring

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.