The Student Room Group

yasmin pill and headaches

Hey guys,

I've been on yasmin pill for almost 2 years now. I do suffer from headaches (a bit like migraines but no aura) which I had before going on the pill. My family also suffer from migraines so its something that I've had to deal with too.

I usually get really bad headaches in the pill free week, but recently i think I've been getting them more often (but its really hard to compare to before i was on the pill). For example, last week i had headaches on about 3 or 4 days!..This could just be because of the hot weather though (which always makes my headaches worse)

I just feel they seem to be getting worse. I also have had a couple of dizzy spells recently (havent fainted though)..

I'm really unsure whether to see GP or not (i KNOW that worsening headaches = go see GP). It could just be the hot weather

This is the only problem I've had with yasmin. It has helped my skin abit but it seems to be getting a bit worse now...I'm worried that I'll have to change pill to one that my give me even worse side effects. Also as yasmin is the most expensive one, chances are if I come of it, I won't be able to switch back

Has anyone else had this with yasmin? and what advice would you suggest?

Thanks so much

xxxx
Reply 1
anyone?? xxx
Reply 2
You sound like me :tongue: I'm on yasmin, always had bad headaches before and had a 5 day headache on my last break :frown: can't really offer any advice but I feel your pain!
Reply 3
thanks for your reply - good to know im not the only one! Are you going to see ur GP about it to switch ? or just going to bear it...anyone else have such pill experiences? xxx
I had the exact same symptoms while on yasmin! It turns out my body can't handle the extra hormone the combined pill has, so now I'm on the mini-pill instead, which is just as effective but you don't have the week long break.
I would advise going to your GP and asking to change to a different type :smile: I was on micogynon for a while too, and didn't have headaches on that, it did make me overly emotional though :P
Reply 5
I get headaches on Yasmin too! I also recently received a letter from my surgery saying they aren't going to prescribe Yasmin anymore because of health implications, it's meant to be the make of pill with the highest likelihood of giving you blood clots apparently - bit freaky!
Reply 6
I've started getting more and more frequent headaches too whilst on Yasmin.
Reply 7
Hey everyone,

Thankyou for all your replies..so I went to my GP today and she said I should stop taking yasmin!! I'm a little disappointed, but she said to keep a migraine diary and come back in two months to see if the headaches are being made worse by the yasmin pill or not..

I really didn't want to come off the pill as I don't want to have to use condoms (but 2 months isnt too bad I suppose) but she said that would be the best thing to do. She suggested the POP but I don't want to have erratic periods which are unpredictable..

I asked her about going on a different combined pill (with a lower oestrogen dose) but she said the headaches are a side effect of all combined pills. I'm in my final year of medical school and I'm pretty sure lower oestrogen dose pills may not give me such bad headached but i dunno..she seemed reluctant to let me try a different combined pill

Has anyone had this and been switched to a different pill that didn't cause headaches?

She did refer me to dermatology though which is good as yasmin has stopped helping my acne - though I'm certain it will get worse now that I've stopped taking yasmin..

Thanks xxx
Reply 8
Hey everyone,

Thankyou for all the replies

So I went to see my GP today and she basically took me off yasmin pill! She basically said to come off it for 2 months and keep a diary of the headaches (which she thought sounded like migraines) and go back to see her after that. She said it may be that the yasmin is making the headaches worse and the only way to know would be to stop it for a short while to see.

I was quite reluctant to come off it (as I'm on it for contraception) but she suggested this would be the best thing to do. I didn't want to go on the POP/ mini pill because I don't want to risk having irregular periods and bleeding and like to have a bleed every month. She didn't seem to want to prescribe a different combined pill (such as a lower dose estrogen one) because she said any combined pill would have headaches as a side effect. however, I'm in my final year of medical school and I'm sure that some women find that a lower oestrogen dose pill helps and they experience less headaches..but she didn't seem keen to try that and just suggested i stop yasmin pill altogether for a couple of months and see..

Has anyone had better experiences with other pills? (other combined pills that is)

however, she did refer me to a dermatologist for my skin which is good as yasmin has really stopped helping with that, although I think itl probably get alot worse now that I'm stopping it...

Thanks xxx
Reply 9
I've use yasmin just 4days now its terrible headache😢 i cant go to work cause when i woke up start the pain vomiting and cold...and i dont want to smell anything and i dont know what should i do😞 i dont want to stop this pills am afraid

Quick Reply

Latest