Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone on here at Oxford or Cambridge involved with tomorrows Rugby League varsity match to be played at Richmond rugby union club?

The game is being shown live on Sky Sports (7:30ish) and according to some build up shown today on Sky Sports News all parties involved are taking it very seriously and it is capturing the imagination of other students.

It is just a shame that the recognition offered to students who participate in rowing or rugby union is not (currently) extended to their rugby league counterparts. Perhaps things will change with time, maybe when some rugby league playing oxbridge graduate finally makes Director General of the B.B.C. or editor of a national newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Anyone on here at Oxford or Cambridge involved with tomorrows Rugby League varsity match to be played at Richmond rugby union club?

The game is being shown live on Sky Sports (7:30ish) and according to some build up shown today on Sky Sports News all parties involved are taking it very seriously and it is capturing the imagination of other students.

It is just a shame that the recognition offered to students who participate in rowing or rugby union is not (currently) extended to their rugby league counterparts. Perhaps things will change with time, maybe when some rugby league playing oxbridge graduate finally makes Director General of the B.B.C. or editor of a national newspaper.

I should be involved in it next year. The quality out on the paddock is pretty poor compared to the Union counterparts i.e. their background. No Andrew Johns apparently, but will be interesting anyway. Hopefully if Mark Thompson gets the directorship of the BBC it might get better coverage (i.e. round up show not shown ONLY in northern regions). Mr.Thompson is a proud Lancastrian

Hmm, indeed, Cant wait until State of Origin later this year. Rugby League is by far the toughest physical sport in the world.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I have been reading the totalrl.com forums and they mentioned how Brian Carney was picked up whils the played Gaelic football for a university side and then was offered trails in rugby league.

Rugby league is really catching on and is surly now at a stage where it deserves national recognition. There are currently over 1600 pupils playing the sport in a nationwide Powergen schools cup competiton and there are over 70 clubs based all over the UK playing in the summer conference.

Apparantly if clubs continue to spring up at their current rate it will be unrecognisable as a "northern" game in 10 years time.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I have been reading the totalrl.com forums and they mentioned how Brian Carney was picked up whils the played Gaelic football for a university side and then was offered trails in rugby league.

Rugby league is really catching on and is surly now at a stage where it deserves national recognition. There are currently over 1600 pupils playing the sport in a nationwide Powergen schools cup competiton and there are over 70 clubs based all over the UK playing in the summer conference.

Apparantly if clubs continue to spring up at their current rate it will be unrecognisable as a "northern" game in 10 years time.

Lets hope so. It has the product, unlike rugby union.

Oh how beatiful is action like this
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    In terms of raw sporting entertainment there is nothing on the planet like State of Origin.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of raw sporting entertainment there is nothing on the planet like State of Origin.

I took my friend who had never watched a game of league in his life to the 1st SOO last year in a walkabout. He was a Union diehard. After the first tackle his jaw dropped and he said 'holy ****'. He is now an avid fan.

I found it quite amusing how the British press made a big thing out of Lewsey's 'big'tackle' on MAtt Rogers last year. One minute of SOO provides three such tackles with the same hit up factor.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I've never been a rugby league fan. Granted, that may be because I've played union all my life and love it as both a sport and a spectacle. I find rugby league on the whole too repetative - lots of tackling. Watching rugby league, I miss some of the more technical elements present in union. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seen some very enjoyable rugby league matches.

Fair enough, it may be these 'technical' elements which keep union from ever matching football in terms of viewing figures. But in my eyes, thats a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Personally I've never been a rugby league fan. Granted, that may be because I've played union all my life and love it as both a sport and a spectacle. I find rugby league on the whole too repetative - lots of tackling. Watching rugby league, I miss some of the more technical elements present in union. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't seen some very enjoyable rugby league matches.

Fair enough, it may be these 'technical' elements which keep union from ever matching football in terms of viewing figures. But in my eyes, thats a good thing.

I didnt even watch a game of league until I was 13. My old school is union through and through and had 3 ex pupils out of the England 22 that lifted the word cup. I've played it all my life. Rugby league for me was a revelation, it showed me that there are players who can do things with the ball which people like Wilkinson could only dream of.

For actualy rugby skill and quality league players are better. I understand your missing of technical elements, I pressume you'd be a forward lol. Me being a back much prefer free flowing and skillful rugby, which is hard to find in union and ever so easy to find in league. There is a reason why League is the most popular sport in Australia, whereas union is a minor sport.

I would seriously advise you to watch State of Origin, its on in June I think, its a best of 3 series between New South Wales and Queensland. You will see from watching that that tackling is just a staple and the skill to break down quality defence will amaze you.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I went to Repton and Uppingham - although Repton is more football orientated Uppingham is a RU stronghold if ever there was one.

Strange how I ended up following RL when I was bought up on RU most of my life.

ReputationRep:
    LOL I went to Repton and Uppingham - although Repton is more football orientated Uppingham is a RU stronghold if ever there was one.

Strange how I ended up following RL when I was bought up on RU most of my life.

Indeed. Uppingham can play. Not as well ast Stonyhurst or Sedbergh though

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.