Anyone used MEGABUS? Watch

Tim99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need to go to Leeds, and I've just discovered that I could try using megabus.

Any good?:confused:
shaun12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not the greatest quality coaches but when you can get cross country for a couple of pounds you don't really mind. If you're leaving from London you might end up with a double decker and they're a bit roomier
Sultana
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're pretty slow and can be cramped, but the price makes up for that! I'd recommend bringing a MP3 player and a book.
dgeorge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tim99)
I need to go to Leeds, and I've just discovered that I could try using megabus.

Any good?:confused:
Depends on what you mean "any good"

Not the most comfortable of rides, but if it's long enough the savings make up for it. As the other poster says, bring a book and an mp3 player, it's going to be a long ride.
b1505
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I do London to Leeds quite often and I prefer Megabus to National Express. Not sure if I've been lucky but in the past few months I've been on Megabus about 6 times and I've never had anybody sitting next to me which compared with National Express where there's not been any seats left it makes it a lot better. Megabus has wifi as well so if you have a laptop you can go on the internet which makes the journeys a lot more enjoyable.
Tridentus
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I thought megabus was too good to be true because it was so cheap, but nope, just a regular coach experience for a ridiculous saving amount.
modini
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As others have said, it's not the best quality ride (but it also isn't that bad), but the price is too good; £12.50 from Nottingham to London as opposed to £50 at concession.
vienulo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used them on a trip to Scotland this summer (I live in the south, so long journeys) and from what I've experienced, they're very reliable and always leave/arrive on time.
Comfort seems to vary but generally not bad.
Usually they're full, but on some routes they were quite empty.
Definitely worth the value if you're on a budget IMO and if you book well in advance, they're even cheaper

Well this is my experience anyway
Tim99
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by vienulo)
I used them on a trip to Scotland this summer (I live in the south, so long journeys) and from what I've experienced, they're very reliable and always leave/arrive on time.
Comfort seems to vary but generally not bad.
Usually they're full, but on some routes they were quite empty.
Definitely worth the value if you're on a budget IMO and if you book well in advance, they're even cheaper

Well this is my experience anyway
Thanks, I might bite the bullet and go for it as I need to get there and yes cash is really tight until I get my student loan through.
ailishbennett
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've just got back from Newcastle travelling on the megabus (from Manchester). For what it cost, £12 return, it's definitely worth checking it out. The buses are not that comfy, and are a bit cramped, but if you have an iPod or something, it flies by. Definitely worth the money
duracell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to always use megabits as an alternative to National Express. However after being stranded at a bus stop in Cardiff (because they don't always use the main bus station) for an hour and a quarter on a cold windy January day with no information at any point, I decided National Express are worth that little bit extra. Before that one time they were often late on the London-Cardiff route, which I got a little tired of.
STFU
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Megabus is great I use it all the time
InnerTemple
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd recommend checking both the Megabus site and National Express site for the dates you want to travel. Sometimes National Express can be cheaper. National Express also often have offers on main routes (including London-Leeds) in which case they will be cheaper than other operators.

As for the experience: I have used both MB and NE. I found both to be as good as each other.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's alright, they only go at crazy times and the coach isn't great. The national express coach is much nicer and goes at decent times but you get what you pay form.

I went from S.Wales to London with national express/megabus with about two weeks in between. Megabus you get less leg room, average seats (the national express ones are nice leather recliner ones) and no footrest. Don't count on having wifi either, mine didn't. National express also went from the major bus station where megabus was some random bus stop.
Elainie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In a nutshell, it's cheap and cheerful but it does the job.
(:Becca(:
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's not too bad, for like £10 return for Newcastle-Leeds I'll take the uncomfortable seats. The lack of legroom isn't really an issue, being only 5'4
Kaseylee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does mega bus have free wifi?🤔
Kaseylee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does mega bus have free wifi?
pizzanomics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got a Megabus from Norwich to Bristol for £12.

It took about 7 and a half hours and it was probably the most boring and painful journey I've ever had. You really can't complain about the price though. There will be a toilet on the coach but it's smaller than a toilet on a plane and hopefully you wont need to use it anyway. There's also free wifi but it's not great.

I'd say go for it at least once because the price is totally worth it, and you'll definitely know after one journey if you can hack long coach rides or not.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pizzanomics)
I got a Megabus from Norwich to Bristol for £12.

It took about 7 and a half hours and it was probably the most boring and painful journey I've ever had. You really can't complain about the price though. There will be a toilet on the coach but it's smaller than a toilet on a plane and hopefully you wont need to use it anyway. There's also free wifi but it's not great.

I'd say go for it at least once because the price is totally worth it, and you'll definitely know after one journey if you can hack long coach rides or not.
OP posted in 2012...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads