Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology - Stress watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'm good at psychology but at the moment i'm finding it really difficult. We're doing all about stress - sympathetic and parasympathetic, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, etc and i don't understand any of it! If anyone can explain it to me in simple terms i'll be so greatful (and give you rep!)
    Thanks

(PS I know this is in the wrong forum but I really need help and no-one's in the other one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Normally I'm good at psychology but at the moment i'm finding it really difficult. We're doing all about stress - sympathetic and parasympathetic, hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, etc and i don't understand any of it! If anyone can explain it to me in simple terms i'll be so greatful (and give you rep!)
    Thanks

(PS I know this is in the wrong forum but I really need help and no-one's in the other one)
    Well i'm not studying that - i thought i would be able to help seeing 'Psychology' however am afraid now i can't Therre should be definitions in psychology textbooks especially the one by Eysenck. I agree with you that it's stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    Well i'm not studying that - i thought i would be able to help seeing 'Psychology' however am afraid now i can't Therre should be definitions in psychology textbooks especially the one by Eysenck. I agree with you that it's stressful.
    I've got the Eyseneck textbook and it does explain it, only using very long and complicated words and sentences. I think the book assumes having an ok knowledge of biology which i don't have (due to having the most crap teacher in the world for GCSE). Thanks for trying to help anyway. Grrr to all those people who say psychology is easy!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have a clue when I did it this time last year - I just spent 2 hours the weekend before the exam learning it off by heart - even if I didn't understand it. Thats the best way to do it if you're not scientifically minded like me.. I think I got 88/100 on that paper in the end, so it ended up okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I've got the Eyseneck textbook and it does explain it, only using very long and complicated words and sentences. I think the book assumes having an ok knowledge of biology which i don't have (due to having the most crap teacher in the world for GCSE). Thanks for trying to help anyway. Grrr to all those people who say psychology is easy!
    Can't really help you as I never did psychology, but try going to the library and finding other psycology text books which may explain the subject in a simpler way, or failing that, try reading up on some biology to help you with that aspect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    I didn't have a clue when I did it this time last year - I just spent 2 hours the weekend before the exam learning it off by heart - even if I didn't understand it. Thats the best way to do it if you're not scientifically minded like me.. I think I got 88/100 on that paper in the end, so it ended up okay.
    I'm just hoping a question on it won't come up, or if it does i'll chose the other one! That's probably not the best strategy though. I keep reading and re-reading it but it just doesn't make any sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I'm just hoping a question on it won't come up, or if it does i'll chose the other one! That's probably not the best strategy though. I keep reading and re-reading it but it just doesn't make any sense
    No, thats not the best strategy, but if your only avoiding one topic it shouldn't be too much of a problem when it comes to the exam (fingers crossed!)

Can't you ask your psycology teacher(s) for help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    No, thats not the best strategy, but if your only avoiding one topic it shouldn't be too much of a problem when it comes to the exam (fingers crossed!)

Can't you ask your psycology teacher(s) for help?
    Lol, you haven't met my psychology teacher! I doubt she even understands it herself. I'll try looking on the net or getting some of my mates to explain it to me. I think I'd understand it much more with a diagram of some kind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Thanks

I don't know if this is going to be much use.... but i'll try....

To understand stress as a bodiily response, you first need to know that the physiology of arousal (our response to stress), which involves the autonomic nervous system (ANS)

The nervous system is divided into two main sub systems. The central nervos system (CNS) which consists of the brain and the spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system (PNS) which consists of all the other nerve cells in the body.

The PNS is divided into:
    The somatic nervous system, which is concerned with the voluntry movements of skelatal muscles (those affected by the bones)
    The autonomic nervous system, which is concerned with involuntry movements of non-skeletal muscles (eg the heart)

the autonomic nervous system then has the sympathetic branch and the parasympathetic branch....

sympathetic branch.
    *increases heart rate
    *reduced activity within the stomach
    *saliva production is inhibited (mouth feels dry)
    *pupil dilation or expansion
    *relaxation of the bronchi in the lungs
    *glucose is released

the parasympathetic branch is the opposite so
    *decreased heart rate
    *increase activity within the stomach
    etc...

i have loads of stuff on this so if this isn't exactly what you needed tell me what you want and i'll post it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Lol, you haven't met my psychology teacher! I doubt she even understands it herself. I'll try looking on the net or getting some of my mates to explain it to me. I think I'd understand it much more with a diagram of some kind
    i have diagrams too.... not sure how to get them up on here though... can i draw it and attatch it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainat87)
    I don't know if this is going to be much use.... but i'll try....

To understand stress as a bodiily response, you first need to know that the physiology of arousal (our response to stress), which involves the autonomic nervous system (ANS)

The nervous system is divided into two main sub systems. The central nervos system (CNS) which consists of the brain and the spinal cord, and the peripheral nervous system (PNS) which consists of all the other nerve cells in the body.

The PNS is divided into:
    The somatic nervous system, which is concerned with the voluntry movements of skelatal muscles (those affected by the bones)
    The autonomic nervous system, which is concerned with involuntry movements of non-skeletal muscles (eg the heart)

the autonomic nervous system then has the sympathetic branch and the parasympathetic branch....

sympathetic branch.
    *increases heart rate
    *reduced activity within the stomach
    *saliva production is inhibited (mouth feels dry)
    *pupil dilation or expansion
    *relaxation of the bronchi in the lungs
    *glucose is released

the parasympathetic branch is the opposite so
    *decreased heart rate
    *increase activity within the stomach
    etc...

i have loads of stuff on this so if this isn't exactly what you needed tell me what you want and i'll post it up.
    Are you using the Eysenck book? Because what you've written is exactly what is in there. So have managed to break it up more though so thanks. I kind of understand it, its the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis stuff that i'm having the most trouble with

ReputationRep:
    i have diagrams too.... not sure how to get them up on here though... can i draw it and attatch it?
    That could really help me! But if they are from the Eyseneck book I will already have them. I don't know how to get pictures on here. Your way should work, it might take you a while though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Are you using the Eysenck book? Because what you've written is exactly what is in there. So have managed to break it up more though so thanks. I kind of understand it, its the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis stuff that i'm having the most trouble with
    I don't actually have the Eysenck book... never read it either.... lol.

hmmm..... lemme try to get a diagram up...

ReputationRep:
    I don't actually have the Eysenck book... never read it either.... lol.

hmmm..... lemme try to get a diagram up...
    Really? Where are you getting this stuff from then? Or are you just an expert . It's worded almost exactly the same as the textbook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Thanks

I know exactly what you mean!! *is sympathetic - excuse pun!! *

I'm so not a biologist, I'm finding this part of psychology really difficult as well. Especially as so far most of what we've done I've already studied before at GCSE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Really? Where are you getting this stuff from then? Or are you just an expert . It's worded almost exactly the same as the textbook!
    lol. i wouldn't go that far! i just made detailed notes that lesson... knew i'd need them!

anyway... i'm attempting to get a diagram up.... dunno if its gonna work.... hope it helps if it does....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    I know exactly what you mean!! *is sympathetic - excuse pun!! *

I'm so not a biologist, I'm finding this part of psychology really difficult as well. Especially as so far most of what we've done I've already studied before at GCSE!
    I didn't do GCSE but I've found most of it easy so far. Oh how I wish we could return to attachments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    you guys all whinge too much - in my day - last year - i had to buckle down eventually and when i did the work honestly and thoroughly it all made sense and was all very worth my while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I didn't do GCSE but I've found most of it easy so far. Oh how I wish we could return to attachments!
    yea, i wish we cud use attachments too.... i don't think what i've done worked.... i don't think the writings come out clear enough... if it hasn't let me know and i'll try again.

i didn't do gcse psychology either...

ReputationRep:
    lol. i wouldn't go that far! i just made detailed notes that lesson... knew i'd need them!

anyway... i'm attempting to get a diagram up.... dunno if its gonna work.... hope it helps if it does....

I have a diagram like that but yours is more detailed so its helps thanks . I think your teacher must have been reading from that textbook that lesson! I've tried to give you rep but I duno if it worked. It said it did...

I don't suppose you know anything about the Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis? Or is it the same kinda thing?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.