The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Hello, Lancaster Physics

Hello everyone and anyone,

I will be studying Physics at Lancaster University from this October, already have my place and accommodation at Grizedale. I'm really looking forward to it!

I was hoping to find some other Physics or Grizedale students on here, as I will be going to university by myself (as in, I don't know anyone there). So please say hi if you are out there :smile:

On a side note, I am a first dan in kendo (Japanese fencing), though still very much a beginner. I am hoping to start a club so I will be looking for anyone interested. I won't start it straight away, of course, but I would like a partner to train with for the time being. If you have any questions, please ask :biggrin:

I am very passionate about Physics and I can't wait to start!
Reply 1
Hey! Welcome to Lancaster!

I'm the Physics society social sec....and I'm also in Grizedale college but I live in town so have virtually nothing to do with it.
If you want to meet more physicists at lancaster you are more than welcome to join our facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LUPAS/
We hold regular socials and talks by lecturers in the department and further afield.

There isn't a kendo club in lancaster, but the closest thing is probably living history/normannis which is 12th century re-enactment. So if you are really keen on hitting people (gently) with sticks then it may be of interest! I went to one session a couple of weeks ago and it's a lot of fun.

If you've got any questions about LUPAS, the physics department or the university then I'll be happy to help. Though I'm no expert on the different accommodation types!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Thankyou very much for the reply. Kendo and historical re-enactments are very different things, but I may check it out anyway.
I will check out the group now :tongue:
Reply 3
I know they're very different...but it's the closest thing I can think of this side of Preston :p: I think there's a group there, if not then in Liverpool or Manchester.
Reply 4
There are clubs in both Liverpool and Manchester, but that's a bit too far. I do know that York University has a kendo club, so I was hoping that at the annual Roses competition I could have a Lancaster Kendo team to compete with a York Kendo team.

But it would probably be best to focus on starting Physics first :biggrin:
Reply 5
It's worth a try, certainly!

Though you probably don't need to worry about the physics for a while. First term is all about getting everyone up to the same standard and settled in. There is usually a maths test in freshers week though. It's not something you can really revise for though - just try not to be too hungover when you do it :wink:
Reply 6
Thanks for the heads up on the maths test.
I also have a couple of questions: What banks are in the university grounds and is there a special student account with them?
Reply 7
There's a Natwest and I think the other is Barclays. They both have two cash machines which are free to use. You can get student accounts at both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending