Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I believe that qualified surgeons revert to Mr.
    Yeah thats true, some of the highest qualified medics can call themselves 'Mr' as its higher than 'Dr'. When my Dad was in hospital his consultant was a Mr and was one of the highest qualified people in his feild in the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Barbers didn't used to just cut hair and shave people! They also removed teeth and did surgery. Disturbing but true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Barbers didn't used to just cut hair and shave people! They also removed teeth and did surgery. Disturbing but true!
    Its true, its why some barbers have that red and white pole thingy out side. Surgeons revert to Mr. because they used not to be qualified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    When did this stop then? I'm surprised the tradition has lasted.

ReputationRep:
    My father's a doctor, in the phD sense. I would love to become a Dr, however I'm not sure if I have enough enthusiasm in economics to spend 3-5 years in research.

ReputationRep:
    "By an act of parliament, which received the sanction of the king, the alliance between the barbers and surgeons was dissolved in June 1745."

If you want to know more about this fascintaing topic there is a page all about the history of barbers here:

http://www.hrbarbers.com/what_we_do.htm

Dear me, I can't believe I actually looked that up!

ReputationRep:
    yeah - sweeney todd style.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    When did this stop then? I'm surprised the tradition has lasted.
    I think it's a bit of reverse snobbery as part of the rivalry between the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians.

The Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons' exams are the hardest ones in the medical profession (apparently) - people on average pass 3rd time around! Getting your FRCS and reverting to Mr/Mrs/Miss is very hard to do.

Hmmm, this means that if I do become a surgeon, I won't be able to hide behind my title forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I think it's a bit of reverse snobbery as part of the rivalry between the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians.

The Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons' exams are the hardest ones in the medical profession (apparently) - people on average pass 3rd time around! Getting your FRCS and reverting to Mr/Mrs/Miss is very hard to do.

Hmmm, this means that if I do become a surgeon, I won't be able to hide behind my title forever
    On the other hand you would prob become rich enough to buy yourself a title like baroness or lady (not that anyone with any snense would waste their money on that)

Musicboy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    On the other hand you would prob become rich enough to buy yourself a title like baroness or lady (not that anyone with any snense would waste their money on that)

Musicboy
    Why would I want to buy myself a title? I'll just marry someone with one (Oh wait, then the "Miss" thing goes away anyway! :rolleyes: )

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.