Watch
This discussion is closed.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I believe that qualified surgeons revert to Mr.
Yeah thats true, some of the highest qualified medics can call themselves 'Mr' as its higher than 'Dr'. When my Dad was in hospital his consultant was a Mr and was one of the highest qualified people in his feild in the hospital.
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Barbers didn't used to just cut hair and shave people! They also removed teeth and did surgery. Disturbing but true!
winorloose
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
Barbers didn't used to just cut hair and shave people! They also removed teeth and did surgery. Disturbing but true!
Its true, its why some barbers have that red and white pole thingy out side. Surgeons revert to Mr. because they used not to be qualified.
Bitewing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by alocin)
When did this stop then? I'm surprised the tradition has lasted.
Mysticmin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My father's a doctor, in the phD sense. I would love to become a Dr, however I'm not sure if I have enough enthusiasm in economics to spend 3-5 years in research.
alocin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
"By an act of parliament, which received the sanction of the king, the alliance between the barbers and surgeons was dissolved in June 1745."

If you want to know more about this fascintaing topic there is a page all about the history of barbers here:

http://www.hrbarbers.com/what_we_do.htm

Dear me, I can't believe I actually looked that up!
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
yeah - sweeney todd style.

MB
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Bitewing)
When did this stop then? I'm surprised the tradition has lasted.
I think it's a bit of reverse snobbery as part of the rivalry between the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians.

The Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons' exams are the hardest ones in the medical profession (apparently) - people on average pass 3rd time around! Getting your FRCS and reverting to Mr/Mrs/Miss is very hard to do.

Hmmm, this means that if I do become a surgeon, I won't be able to hide behind my title forever
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I think it's a bit of reverse snobbery as part of the rivalry between the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians.

The Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons' exams are the hardest ones in the medical profession (apparently) - people on average pass 3rd time around! Getting your FRCS and reverting to Mr/Mrs/Miss is very hard to do.

Hmmm, this means that if I do become a surgeon, I won't be able to hide behind my title forever
On the other hand you would prob become rich enough to buy yourself a title like baroness or lady (not that anyone with any snense would waste their money on that)

Musicboy
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
On the other hand you would prob become rich enough to buy yourself a title like baroness or lady (not that anyone with any snense would waste their money on that)

Musicboy
Why would I want to buy myself a title? I'll just marry someone with one (Oh wait, then the "Miss" thing goes away anyway! :rolleyes: )
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (233)
75.16%
No (77)
24.84%

Watched Threads