The Student Room Group

King's College London (GKT) Applicants 2013

Poll

UKCAT Score

I couldn't find a thread (sorry if there is one, feel free to delete this!), so thought I'd set one up. Pretty sure I'm applying there this year for 2013 entry. I loved the campus when I visited, and had loved it before that :love:

Quick links: Online prospectus - Application guide - KCL TSR student guide
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hippokrates
I think I'm going to apply here because it seems like a safe choice. Maybe we should post our profiles. Here's mine:
GASEs 7A*s, 4As, 2Bs.
AS 4As
UKCAT 775
Work experience: a week in different departments of a teaching hospital trust.
A week in a rural GP surgery (more like a mini hospital)
A week in a city GP surgery
A year volunteering in MAU
A year volunteering at a hospice
Summer volunteering in A&E (not mentioned in PS)

I don't know that much about the application process for kings and would be grateful for any help.

Hey! :smile:

I applied and am holding an unconditional offer for this fall's entry so I can help a bit with application process.

The main thing about your PS is reflection about your work experience. What skills/info did you learn? A lot of my interview was focused on my WE.

From their website:

Scholastic activities (Very Desirable)
Any scholastic activity would be considered, eg general reading, debating, theological interests etc

Community activities (Very Desirable)
We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment. Your interests, achievements and contribution to your community are taken into account eg clubs, theatrical, religious etc.

General activities/interests (Very Desirable)
We look for applicants who not only have interests but may have also achieved in these areas eg music, sport, first aid, etc.

Work shadowing/observation (Very Desirable)
We would normally expect that applicants will have undertaken some voluntary work experience in a caring/health environment and/or observation in a medical clinical setting. It is important for applicants to have a realistic appreciation of what a career as a health professional involves.

Paid or voluntary work (Very Desirable)
Any voluntary contribution to your community is taken into account, eg volunteer in a care home. We look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant.

We look for applicants who not only have interests but may have also achieved in these areas eg music, sport, first aid, etc.

Also, in term of interviews, based on last year's admission cycle they first offered to those with high GCSEs and UKCAT so you should be an early interview assuming your PS is well-written and then they started using a sliding scale for the later interviews. :smile:

All the best and sorry for the essay. :biggrin:

edit: just curious, Why is the summer volunteering in A+E not mentioned in your PS?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by apple17
Hey! :smile:

I applied and am holding an unconditional offer for this fall's entry so I can help a bit with application process.

The main thing about your PS is reflection about your work experience. What skills/info did you learn? A lot of my interview was focused on my WE.

From their website:

Scholastic activities (Very Desirable)
Any scholastic activity would be considered, eg general reading, debating, theological interests etc

Community activities (Very Desirable)
We look for applicants who have participated as fully as possible in school, college or community life, making the most of the opportunities available to them and also demonstrated some experience of society beyond their immediate environment. Your interests, achievements and contribution to your community are taken into account eg clubs, theatrical, religious etc.

General activities/interests (Very Desirable)

Work shadowing/observation (Very Desirable)
We would normally expect that applicants will have undertaken some voluntary work experience in a caring/health environment and/or observation in a medical clinical setting. It is important for applicants to have a realistic appreciation of what a career as a health professional involves.

Paid or voluntary work (Very Desirable)
Any voluntary contribution to your community is taken into account, eg volunteer in a care home. We look for evidence that you have worked in a setting where you can interact with the general public eg in a pharmacy, check-out or restaurant.

Also, in term of interviews, based on last year's admission cycle they first offered to those with high GCSEs and UKCAT so you should be an early interview assuming your PS is well-written and then they started using a sliding scale for the later interviews. :smile:

All the best and sorry for the essay. :biggrin:

edit: just curious, Why is the summer volunteering in A+E not mentioned in your PS?

Thank you so much for this. :smile: I'm not mentioning it because I didn't do it very long or learn much so it feels like a waste of characters.

Might as well stick with this one since there's more information on it and a poll.
Reply 5
Might as well stick with this one since there's more information on it and a poll.

I'll change the link, but just this once. Dark and Twisty must agree as she did create the other thread first. :smile:

DarkAndTwisty
Quoted for Attention
Original post by ViceVersa
I'll change the link, but just this once. Dark and Twisty must agree as she did create the other thread first. :smile:

If you merge them will the poll still exist?
Reply 7
If you merge them will the poll still exist?

Should do :yep: You and Dark&Twisty work it out on who should be thread starter etc. As her thread only has one post in it (hers) then she can just post her links in this thread and stick to it (which is why I'm willing to make an exception and change the links on the Index), but she has to agree to that as she created that thread first. :yep: If she wants her thread merged with this one (or the other way around) then I'd report it to be merged by a mod. :yy:
Original post by ViceVersa
Should do :yep: You and Dark&Twisty work it out on who should be thread starter etc. As her thread only has one post in it (hers) then she can just post her links in this thread and stick to it (which is why I'm willing to make an exception and change the links on the Index), but she has to agree to that as she created that thread first. :yep: If she wants her thread merged with this one (or the other way around) then I'd report it to be merged by a mod. :yy:

Just merge mine to hers I honestly don't mind so long as the poll stays because I'm nosy and want to know how everybody did. :smile:
Reply 9
hey guys i want everyones honest opinion. Im thinking of applying to kcl with ukcat:682 GCSE's: 13 A* and recent As level results were: 5 A's. I will also have all A* predictions for A2.
What do people think? Is this good enough for kings with a slightly lower ukcat score than most people who apply?
Original post by astrax
hey guys i want everyones honest opinion. Im thinking of applying to kcl with ukcat:682 GCSE's: 13 A* and recent As level results were: 5 A's. I will also have all A* predictions for A2.
What do people think? Is this good enough for kings with a slightly lower ukcat score than most people who apply?

well you have bloody straight A*s and As for gcse and gce. I dont think you should be losing any sleep over a 680 ukcat score.
Reply 11
Original post by astrax

With those GCSE results your UKCAT is not a problem at all. Good luck :smile:
Original post by apple17

Also, in term of interviews, based on last year's admission cycle they first offered to those with high GCSEs and UKCAT

What do KCL regard as "high GCSEs"?
Reply 13
Original post by SaintSoldier
What do KCL regard as "high GCSEs"?

I am an intl so have never done GCSEs but the majority(from my admission cycle) had 9 A*s or above. :smile: The first people were those with 10/11/12 A*s in early november and they worked their way down. 9 A*s around mid-nov and I think 7-8 in late nov and early december
Original post by apple17
I am an intl so have never done GCSEs but the majority(from my admission cycle) had 9 A*s or above. :smile: The first people were those with 10/11/12 A*s in early november and they worked their way down. 9 A*s around mid-nov and I think 7-8 in late nov and early december

I've got 9A*s - what sort of UKCAT score do you think I'd need to secure an interview?
Reply 15
I've got 9A*s - what sort of UKCAT score do you think I'd need to secure an interview?

Hmm, two applicants from last year had a score around 690. So, I would say around 690 based on last year stats. :smile: (when is your UKCAT?)
Original post by apple17
Hmm, two applicants from last year had a score around 690. So, I would say around 690 based on last year stats. :smile: (when is your UKCAT?)

It's in 5 days :cry:

I'm not looking forward to it, put it that way. My mock performance has been dire.
Reply 17
It's in 5 days :cry:

I'm not looking forward to it, put it that way. My mock performance has been dire.

Ohh, all the best. :biggrin:

Just take a minute break before each section and keep a cool mind. Don't prep the night before.
Reply 18
Original post by apple17
x

Are you a medical student at kings?
Reply 19
Original post by master y
Are you a medical student at kings?

Pre-fresher. :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending