Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever applied to LSE for postgrad study...did all go according to plan?

So far, LSE lost one of my references (they filed it under 2003), emails they sent to me were captured by my server at work as viruses and deleted, and they had me down as applying for a course that I'd never even mentioned!

A few weeks ago, one of the Professors has agreed to be my potential supervisor (never in a million years did I think that would happen) - but then I found out that there are only 7 places total on the course I want to do!

How much weight do you think such a recommendation might carry? I haven't heard anything from them since talking to the prof.

Tell me I'm not alone - has anyone else had this trouble?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am an American student too and I actually had a very easy time with the LSE online application-much easier than the paper ones and sending recs by mail which got lost on their way overseas! Anyways, I applied for postgrad at LSE on a whim, but now I have decided to go-a little scary to go so far for a year! I did email the course proprietor of the MSc Social Policy program I plan on doing and although he could not refer me to a supervisor, he did say that I could complete my project through the dissertation component--So basically I have had a pretty easy time but I contacted him AFTER I got in. I would think though that a supervisor could carry a lot of weight and if they are interested in your project would push for your acceptance. I hope that everything worked out for you and you plan on attending LSE next year!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

i applied to the MSc. program in Economics and Finance, and while I havent heard anything yet (its been 7 weeks since my application reached the department, and from what I see online the course is still open, so I should be getting a response pretty soon) the process so far has been pretty straightforward, and they seem to have recieved all my materials. I applied online, and sent my recommendations/Transcripts and GMAT/GRE scores separately, and they were all matched with my application about 2 weeks after my documents reached the LSE. Moreover, I used their online application tracker, and it was updated to show all the documents received by them. Now the only thing im waiting for is the decision, but so far administratively they seem to have been fairly efficient.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the MSc in Accounting & Finance and it took about 5 weeks to get their decission, so it was pretty fast. (they always say it can take up to 8 weeks) But before my application was considered by the department, it seems to me that one of my reference letter was mislaid by them, because it took a lot of time before it appeared in the online tracking system (more than six weeks)
    Recently, I sent my confirmation letter along with an original transcript and a proof of my degree, and although they already processed my acceptance letter, the tracking system states that they are still waiting for those 2 documents. That´s not possible since all the documents were together in one envelope.
    I understand it´s probably very hard for them to allocate all the documents to the respective file since they handle hundreds of applications.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the MSc Philosophy, Policy and Social Value and received my offer in just less than three weeks (!) Everything went very smoothly and I thought the online application tracker a very useful tool.

I am a bit mystified, however, with the lack of information afforded to me now - details about accomodation, my application to the Graduate Support Scheme, the processing of my Stafford loan paperwork, etc... Considering that I am expected to completely uproot and relocate to another country in 4 months, I would like to at least hear about whether or not I'll be offered housing (I applied in November). And they give you no idea about when to expect to hear whether or not you'll be offered aid through the support scheme. These are things that I imagine I should know now in order to start planning, at least in a financial respect.

ReputationRep:
    I am certainly mystified by the whole housing process-coming from the US to London, I have no clue what housing is best and if I should even apply to LSE housing since they provide for only like 55% of those who need it...Does anyone have any ideas on if most LSE postgrads live off campus or what the best LSE housing is if I do try to apply for it? Also I think with housing, they may not let you know until late summer because the due date for housing applications is May 31st, and they may not distribute housing until all the applications are in...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for the LSE housing because it's subsidized and (much of it is)quite close to the school. Frankly, I hope to get offered housing, because I'm not particularly keen on having to go through the process of finding private accomodation in London. Plus, if one does take end up taking that route, living on the outskirts of London and having a long commute in to LSE is almost a certainty. I think the LSE housing would be ideal, because it's cheaper and closer than any other options out there. Of course, some people don't like the idea of living in "dorms" again - after all, we all already went through college once - but the idea really doesn't bother me. In fact, at least from a social perspective, to me it seems preferable to living away from the campus.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree with you--in terms of meeting new people, living in student housing is best and my first choice since I am moving to a city where I only know a few people. I am just worried about not receiving housing and then trying to find something last minute that is in the general area of LSE and is not rediculously expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenfs)
    I definitely agree with you--in terms of meeting new people, living in student housing is best and my first choice since I am moving to a city where I only know a few people. I am just worried about not receiving housing and then trying to find something last minute that is in the general area of LSE and is not rediculously expensive.
    I share your concern about scrambling to find last-minute housing, which is why I would rather know if LSE is going to offer me any sooner rather than later. But, to allay your fears slightly, there are many students every year in the exact same situation as you and I, and they all manage to find housing somehow. Having to seek out private accomodation in London seems daunting, but with a little advice (of which there is much on the LSE website) and help it won't be a problem to find housing in London which suits your needs. However, it likely won't be close to LSE, as all private housing near the heart of London is exorbitantly expensive. Let's cross our fingers for LSE housing - if I were you, I would get that application in ASAP!

ReputationRep:
    I think we should not worry about housing at this stage of the process. We still don´t know if we will be offered housing or not, but if we don´t, we can´t do anything about it till few weeks before coming to London.
    However, I agree with berkeley2001 that we haven´t heard a word about our financial concerns. I´m still waiting an answer about the Graduate Support Scheme and I even don´t know if someday before September I´m going to know if I was given one or not.
    Has anybody get an answer about the Graduate Support Scheme?

ReputationRep:
    I do need to get the housing application in ASAP--I just decided on LSE in the past week after debating options for next year and just receieved word that I would get funding from my undergraduate college for the LSE tuition so now I am definitely going! I have no idea however what kind of housing to request and which dorms to put first...Clearly I havent inspected the housing info that carefully yet...

ReputationRep:
    For me it was simple to decide wich halls to choose, though I don´t know it was the right way to do it.
    1. Price?
    2. Catered, not catered?
    3. distance from school?
    And a lot of hope to get a room. I didn´t care much about my 1st preference and that because as far as I know the process of assigning rooms is in a random base.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenfs)
    I do need to get the housing application in ASAP--I just decided on LSE in the past week after debating options for next year and just receieved word that I would get funding from my undergraduate college for the LSE tuition so now I am definitely going! I have no idea however what kind of housing to request and which dorms to put first...Clearly I havent inspected the housing info that carefully yet...
    Wow, jenfs, I wish I had gone to your college. And theedge, you're the only other person I've encountered so far who actually applied to the Graduate Support Scheme. I am quite annoyed with the opaqueness of that process - the application itself was kind of an oddly muddled affair, I thought, and you are given no indication at all when to expect any sort of decision or response. I made my application 4 months ago but, like you, am wondering if I won't know the result until I actually arrive at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theedge)
    For me it was simple to decide wich halls to choose, though I don´t know it was the right way to do it.
    1. Price?
    2. Catered, not catered?
    3. distance from school?
    And a lot of hope to get a room. I didn´t care much about my 1st preference and that because as far as I know the process of assigning rooms is in a random base.
    Well, your process was more thorough than mine - I gave a cursory glance at the descriptions and just kind of fired away. To tell you the truth, I can't even fully recall which choices I made. I just hope to get something.

ReputationRep:
    hey! I have an offer from LSE's Media department and I used toworry too much about accommodation...
    After filling the online application, and considering that I am a postgraduate student I thought that there is no single possibility to reject my application for halls.....I guess we posts, have priority..Isn't that right?
    Anywayz....
    I go for Roseberry Hall and High Holborn (my firts priority was Lse halls[I am still not sure if that was a correct choise..])...What about you guys?did you put any intercollegiate??

ReputationRep:
    I can´t remember which halls i choose. All I remember is that I completed the form with 3 halls and then 3 intercollegiate. As I said before, for me the important aspects were price, if catered (I´m not interested in cooking) and distance from the school.
    I would not so sure that we have guaranteed accommodation as you suggest Yannis. I remembered I read 1st year undergruad have guaranteed accommodation but didn´t read anything about postgrads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YannisT)
    hey! I have an offer from LSE's Media department and I used toworry too much about accommodation...
    After filling the online application, and considering that I am a postgraduate student I thought that there is no single possibility to reject my application for halls.....I guess we posts, have priority..Isn't that right?
    Anywayz....
    I go for Roseberry Hall and High Holborn (my firts priority was Lse halls[I am still not sure if that was a correct choise..])...What about you guys?did you put any intercollegiate??
    Actually, I believe that post-grads are given some of the lowest priority when it comes to housing. It is by no means anwywhere near guaranteed - in fact, I think the majority of post-grads who apply are probably not offered it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berkeley2001)
    Actually, I believe that post-grads are given some of the lowest priority when it comes to housing. It is by no means anwywhere near guaranteed - in fact, I think the majority of post-grads who apply are probably not offered it.
    Yeah, you're quite right. The chances of being given university accommodation are roughly 50%, that is what I was told by the university. There's no particular criteria as such, no priority is given to international students or on academic merit or anything along those lines, it's purely random. Allthough, I do know of someone who was rejected, she then kept on calling them on an hourly basis or something pretty daft along those lines- she was then offered accommodation, ah well, least that's what she said.

ReputationRep:
    I am almost sure that I read at the Accomodation site the sentence "postgraduates prefered" (silver walk, lillian penson, Great Dover, etc) in the halls information...but I guess that does not aplly to all halls...I also know that all of the halls have a seperate wing for the posts and that seems to be very good (considering the panic at the undergraduate wing)..
    Now I wonder about the criteria...Is the choise random?some kind of a lottery?

And how about this damn comparison...It is under construction for ages....

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

O great.... I applied for the msc philosophy of the social sciences exactly ten weeks ago, and still haven't heard anything. I must say it already started to piss me off. But at least i presumed that housing would be taken care off, even you would receive a late offer. Enter the UK learning forum: now I also realize that even housing is not certain! This whole LSE adventure is getting better everyday

But still: I would love to go there!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 17, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.