Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It puzzles me why KCL have such low offers if they are so great. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Yeah - KCL's location is crap. I mean, who has heard of the Strand and Chancery Lane? (rolls eyes)
    Having heard of the location does not equal greatness. For me, living in central London would be hell.

ReputationRep:
    Is Durham really as bad as everyone says, though? I mean, surely it wouldn't have recieved such high marks in the teaching ratings if it really were...

I'm just vagually confused because nowhere apart from here have I heard people put it down so much. I mean, I get some people think it's overrated, but then people say that about almost every university. *blinks* Is there any real reason why I should avoid it?

ReputationRep:
    LSE's standard offer for geography is BBC.

But there are many courses that require AAB\AAA at KCL.
    Interesting point, offers are not the same as grades achieved:LSE's average grades are about 29 points from 30, I've been told. Also lowish entry grades are sometimes a reflection of low numbers of applications, which again may just be a function of poor PR, not poor quality.

ReputationRep:
    But if philosophy is one of KCL's great strengths, why did they give me uncon??? Seems a bit desperate to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kirki)
    Is Durham really as bad as everyone says, though? I mean, surely it wouldn't have recieved such high marks in the teaching ratings if it really were...

I'm just vagually confused because nowhere apart from here have I heard people put it down so much. I mean, I get some people think it's overrated, but then people say that about almost every university. *blinks* Is there any real reason why I should avoid it?
    It's just whenever you ask anybody about what Durham has done to deserve such a rep there's a massive silence...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    But if philosophy is one of KCL's great strengths, why did they give me uncon??? Seems a bit desperate to me.
    lol.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge once gave EE offers to students they especially liked.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    that is slightly extreme

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but listen to the story behind it. Initially got BBB offer from KCL. Then got AAB offer from Ox. Named Ox as firm, KCL as insurance. KCL then wrote a letter asking why I had named them as insurance and not as first choice because their philosophy and theology departments were among the best in the country, so I wrote back telling them I had put Ox down as firm. They then changed my status to unconditional. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly - just because uni X specifies BBB doesn't mean all the students enrolled only have BBB. It's a simple ploy of market forces - the more applicants one receives, the higher the criteria needed to reduce the supply of applicants. At Anglia the standard offer for their International Law course is AAA - obviously that isn't uniform throughout Anglia Uni!
    I find it rather curious how you're almost bullying people into liking Kings. I mean, pride is one thing - but reeling of Kings PR and degrading any university it is compared to, is certainly another. I have pride for my University but I don't really care how others view it, because I have confidence in its excellent reputation for my subject. I guess my question is; are you doing this because you know Kings isn't viewed as a great Uni?

Please don't reply with the usual: Bigcnee is a ****, Bath is ****, predictable rubbish, as I actually mean this question sincerely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I find it rather curious how you're almost bullying people into liking Kings. I mean, pride is one thing - but reeling of Kings PR and degrading any university it is compared to, is certainly another. I have pride for my University but I don't really care how others view it, because I have confidence in its excellent reputation for my subject. I guess my question is; are you doing this because you know Kings isn't viewed as a great Uni?

Please don't reply with the usual: Bigcnee is a ****, Bath is ****, predictable rubbish, as I actually mean this question sincerely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    I find it rather curious how you're almost bullying people into liking Kings.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    I think he's doing it because he knows King's has done things like discover DNA, and yet everybody on here seems to think Durham
    and Bath, which have never done anything remotely similar, are absolutely wonderful, heavenly places...

I think he's doing it because he knows that you can only really judge a university over the long-term and he's amazed that people can choose universities without ever doing any real research into their history and achievements: all that matters instead is what a few daft school teachers say and the snapshot judgements that are made by newspaper league tables, I mean who needs scientific breakthroughs and pioneering scholarship...Durham has nicer buildings and Bath is cheaper...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
    I think he's doing it because he knows King's has done things like discover DNA, and yet everybody on here seems to think Durham
    and Bath, which have never done anything remotely similar, are absolutely wonderful, heavenly places...

I think he's doing it because he knows that you can only really judge a university over the long-term and he's amazed that people can choose universities without ever doing any real research into their history and achievements: all that matters instead is what a few daft school teachers say and the snapshot judgements that are made by newspaper league tables, I mean who needs scientific breakthroughs and pioneering scholarship...Durham has nicer buildings and Bath is cheaper...
    'King's' did not discover DNA. People make the university - they also come and go.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    'King's' did not discover DNA. People make the university - they also come and go.

Ben

Maurice Wilkins of King's shared the Nobel for the discovery of DNA, with the two famous Cambridge people (typically they hogged all the media), and Rosemary Franklin, also based at King's did much of the work (she died before the Nobel was awarded, but to be fair to the feminists there is a claim that she was neglected because of her gender-I don't agree with this, but it's worth mentioning out of fairness)...

ReputationRep:

I would honestly like to know what historical alumni have to do with the quality of teaching/resoures/research of a University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)

Ben
    People come and go from Durham all the time, and as far as I know they have never gone to Stockholm or anywhere else to collect major prizes (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've asked people repeatedly to tell me if they have so done)...so how come Durham has such high standing?

ReputationRep:
    Maurice Wilkins of King's shared the Nobel for the discovery of DNA, with the two famous Cambridge people (typically they hogged all the media), and Rosemary Franklin, also based at King's did much of the work (she died before the Nobel was awarded, but to be fair to the feminists there is a claim that she was neglected because of her gender-I don't agree with this, but it's worth mentioning out of fairness)...
    I think you may have missed my point. I'm not entirely sure, though.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    People come and go from Durham all the time, and as far as I know they have never gone to Stockholm or anywhere else to collect major prizes (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've asked people repeatedly to tell me if they have so done)...so how come Durham has such high standing?
    Because University decisions are based on more than historical alumni?

I really can't understand how you can't see this.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.