The Student Room Group

My brother's results - good ?

He got:
A*A*A*AAABBBBCC

(B in Maths + English Lang and A in Lit.)

Are these results good ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
YES, they are.
Reply 2
Original post by flubber001
He got:
A*A*A*AAABBBBCC

Are these results good ?

He must have been disappointed in not getting good grades at Language and Maths though,the most important subjects.
A brilliant set of results. He should be proud :smile:
Reply 4
He got:
A*A*A*AAABBBBCC

Are these results good ?

Very good. Not a single D in there.
Reply 5
Original post by Dalek1099
He must have been disappointed in not getting good grades at Language and Maths though,the most important subjects.

... B grade is good, you know. :s-smilie:
He must have been disappointed in not getting good grades at Language and Literature though.

A B in Language and an A is Lit is bad? Well I'll be damned.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks . Doing maths A level with B at GCSE might not be a good idea ,right? :confused:
Thanks . Doing maths A level with B at GCSE might not be a good idea ,right? :confused:

If he had to kill himself working very hard for the B then possibly not, but if he got it with reasonable effort then I'd think he should be fine :smile:.
Reply 9
Original post by Iamyourfather
A B and Language and an A is Lit is bad? Well I'll be damned.

I accidentally wrote Language and Literature instead of Language and Maths-stupid me:angry:

Thats not a very good idea because Maths GCSE is the easiest GCSE,in my opinion and my sister got an A grade and didn't try very hard and ended up with a D grade,even after resitting her D in C1-I'm going to do better than her though and am currently on 99.4% for maths.
I accidentally wrote Language and Literature instead of Language and Maths-stupid me:angry:

Er...that's still good :rolleyes:

Perhaps you're mistaking a 'B' for a 'D'?
Reply 12

no not necessarily I got an A at GCSE and got an A* at A level. It's about how hard you work and your approach to problems
Er...that's still good :rolleyes:

Perhaps you're mistaking a 'B' for a 'D'?

B grades aren't that good,the best universities will probably want you to show that you excel in Maths and English,with at least an A grade.
Thats not a very good idea because Maths GCSE is the easiest GCSE,in my opinion and my sister got an A grade and didn't try very hard and ended up with a D grade,even after resitting her D in C1-I'm going to do better than her though and am currently on 99.4% for maths.

You haven't proved a single point.

1. Your own opinion isn't fact. The vast majority of students find maths the most difficult.

I'm not surprised it was your easiest GCSE because you can't write properly.

2. You said your sister got an A at GCSE maths and didn't work very hard at AS level maths. Well had she put some effort in the result would have probably been better.

3. So what if you're doing better than her? :confused: Get your head out of your arse.
(edited 11 years ago)

Definitely not, my Maths teachers were always complaining that our college let people with a B in Maths be allowed to do A level because they lacked the ability to cope, practically everyone who got a B in Maths GCSE at my college dropped out after AS because they either got an E or a U grade at AS. The Maths department has finally convinced admissions to stop people with B grades from taking the subject because of how poorly B grade GCSE people did at A level. An A at GCSE Maths nowadays is usually around 55% (check the UMS grade boundaries if you don't believe me,) so if you can't reach that threshold you aren't going to be able to cope with the much more complex stuff thrown at you in A level.
You haven't proved a single point.

1. Your own opinion isn't fact. The vast majority of students find maths the most difficult.

I'm not surprised it was your easiest GCSE because you can't write properly.

2. You said your sister got an A at GCSE maths and didn't work very hard at AS level maths. Well had she's put some effort in the result would have probably been better.

3. So what if you're doing better than her? :confused: Get your head out of your arse.

I got an A* at English Language,full course GCSE though:confused:
The vast majority of students don't try hard enough to enjoy and engage in Maths and revise it,if they require thats why the grades are so low in it.
B grades aren't that good,the best universities will probably want you to show that you excel in Maths and English,with at least an A grade.

I shouldn't feed the troll but...

The vast majority (yes including the 'best' ones) want at least a C in Maths and English Lan. OP's brother has fulfilled that. Universities hardly put any emphasis on GCSEs. A-levels are far more important as it's the next mile-stone. GCSEs would only be taken into account as a very last resort. However, situations like these are rare.

Are you even at university?
(edited 11 years ago)
I shouldn't feed the troll but...

The vast majority (yes including the 'best' ones) want at least a C in Maths and English Lan. OP's brother has fulfilled that. Universities hardly puts any emphasis on GCSEs. A-levels are far more important as it's the next mile-stone. GCSEs would only be taken into account as a very last resort. However, situations like these are rare.

Are you even at university?

I'm in Year 10 and have got an A* in English Language full course already and I don't even revise Maths and I'm currently on 99.4%,all the questions are usually quite easy,with the odd tough one but the grade boundaries are so low that you can a lot wrong and get 100%.

3/10

Quick Reply

Latest