Best place to work whilst at Uni? Watch
Student life, in partnership with UEA
1. Having a company that you would want to work as a graduate sponsor you through your degree, in exchange for holiday work and the promise of working for them as a graduate
2. Students Union - they usually employ student bar / shop staff - very flexible around academic commitments, and usually above minimum wage.
3. University - they employ students as tour guides on open days etc. Very flexible and usually above minimum wage, but intermittent work.
4. If you are more concerned about flexibility than no. of hours per week, then agency work. You tell them when you're available, they give you any shifts they have available.
5. A chain that allows you to transfer between stores for the holidays.
I'm looking into getting a job whilst at Uni and am currently leaving my job of the past 18 months which was in retail at £6 an hour. I loved my job, and would like something similar but I don't know who to go for? I've heard big employers such as the department stores are good, or possibly even supermarkets such as Tesco etc? Quite like to stay in retail though if possible, I looked into River island as I love the clothes but apparently they're horrible to work for. My current job is a small family fun business so none of the tedious tasks that can come with working for a bigger company
This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Competition in student towns is AWFUL. Everyone wants a job and employers have many to choose from. As you've already got experience that's good! All I can say is you can't afford to be picky. If there's a waitress job going then apply.. You won't be able to afford not to apply to some jobs simply because you want to work in retail.