The Student Room Group

Best place to work whilst at Uni?

I'm looking into getting a job whilst at Uni and am currently leaving my job of the past 18 months which was in retail at £6 an hour. I loved my job, and would like something similar but I don't know who to go for? I've heard big employers such as the department stores are good, or possibly even supermarkets such as Tesco etc? Quite like to stay in retail though if possible, I looked into River island as I love the clothes but apparently they're horrible to work for. My current job is a small family fun business so none of the tedious tasks that can come with working for a bigger company
Retail on weekends! Apply online as most places disregard paper CV's now :/
I work at Morrisons and they have been extremely accommodating when I explained I'd like to cut down my hours from 16p/w to 8 as I'll be starting uni in September. They said that once I get my timetable for uni I've to bring it in and we can sort out the best days/time for me to work. :smile: The pay is quite good aswell...I'm currently on £6.41 an hour but as we're getting a 14p pay rise come October, I'll then be on £6.55 p/h. I really can't complain about the pay especially since some of my friends are only on minimum wage (£4.98 p/h). :h:
In order of ideal-ness.

1. Having a company that you would want to work as a graduate sponsor you through your degree, in exchange for holiday work and the promise of working for them as a graduate
<long gap>
2. Students Union - they usually employ student bar / shop staff - very flexible around academic commitments, and usually above minimum wage.
3. University - they employ students as tour guides on open days etc. Very flexible and usually above minimum wage, but intermittent work.
4. If you are more concerned about flexibility than no. of hours per week, then agency work. You tell them when you're available, they give you any shifts they have available.
5. A chain that allows you to transfer between stores for the holidays.
Not the fast food industry. 8 at night until 5 in the morning for less than a fiver an hour? **** that.
Original post by HannahMcC
I'm looking into getting a job whilst at Uni and am currently leaving my job of the past 18 months which was in retail at £6 an hour. I loved my job, and would like something similar but I don't know who to go for? I've heard big employers such as the department stores are good, or possibly even supermarkets such as Tesco etc? Quite like to stay in retail though if possible, I looked into River island as I love the clothes but apparently they're horrible to work for. My current job is a small family fun business so none of the tedious tasks that can come with working for a bigger company

You have to consider the amount of competition you'll be up against :/ I'm moving for uni so in the same position and have given my cv/ applied to just about everywhere. If there's somewhere you reaaaally wanna work consider liking their Facebook page and getting in touch- makes you seem keen! :smile: also, If there's a matalan near you, definitely apply there! I've been working there since last April and absolutely love it, I'm devastated to be leaving to go to uni in a town where there isn't a matalan :frown: definitely worth an apply if you can! Xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
A retail job would be ideal, especially one at the weekend so you don't have to juggle doing your work etc. I found that bar work really suited me and quite a few others. I work 10-4am but then because i've not drunk anything I feel fine the next day. I also get weekends off to catch up on work. However having also worked in the restaurant business I found this to be the most accommodating hour wise. They required me to work evenings 5pm-11pm or weekends. Either one is great. If you work during the weeks you can still go out after and you have the weekends to yourself.. if you work weekends you have all week to yourself.

Competition in student towns is AWFUL. Everyone wants a job and employers have many to choose from. As you've already got experience that's good! All I can say is you can't afford to be picky. If there's a waitress job going then apply.. You won't be able to afford not to apply to some jobs simply because you want to work in retail. :smile:
Try the uni library, mine paid loads and had loads of odd random projects going on with casual hours.

Latest

Trending

Trending