rosexmoon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello,

I just got my GCSE results today, i am going to start six form soon am going to change my A levels. I started with art,textiles,media,ICT. However i decide to do the degree in Chester university which is international development studies. I know sociology would help me with this however i didn't take sociology in GCSE. I would like to take it . I was wondering How Hard sociology is, is it worth taking.
Thank you for reading my post .
lankan-gurl
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey,

You don't need to have taken Sociology in GCSE to take it in A-level but as far as I know when I took GCSE Sociology it was really interesting learning about different cultures etc. When I took it for AS level I didn't enjoy it that much but I didn't really give it a chance. I think that if you know you will enjoy the subject take it.

It is thought of a more softer choice than the more traditional subjects but it is still a good choice, it is definitely worth taking and I don't think that it's hard but that depends on the person doing the subject. You will learn quite a fair bit in the subject and it's mostly essay based, so if you think you can handle that then take the subject.

Hope this helps.
deano0417
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you find it interesting then it will be easy for you however I personally found out boring as **** and hence only scraped a B in it.
Cezz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I loved Sociology. So much that I'm taking it as a degree (I can only apply for my preferred career at 21 so I thought I'd get a degree in the meantime). I didn't take it at GCSE just A Level and I enjoyed it very much.
JenniGold
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If it would help you with what you want to do at degree level then it is a good idea to take it. If you like the subject then it will not be difficult, as long as you are good at writing essays. It is worth taking for you because you say it will help you with your degree. I am studying sociology A level and I really like it as a subject.
hassassin04
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did sociology in AS and I am definitely dropping it despite that I got 180/200. At first I used to like it but then got disappointed completely hah. You never know whether your identified cause is the correct one. Every single research method has very significant disadvantages regarding validity so that you never know that you are actually right in your conclusion. That's what basically social sciences are and maybe even though they arent certain but they work..But I just did not like it. It's up to you though. It is just a matter of preferences like everything else.
ilickbatteries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rosexmoon)
Hello,

I just got my GCSE results today, i am going to start six form soon am going to change my A levels. I started with art,textiles,media,ICT. However i decide to do the degree in Chester university which is international development studies. I know sociology would help me with this however i didn't take sociology in GCSE. I would like to take it . I was wondering How Hard sociology is, is it worth taking.
Thank you for reading my post .
Depends, really. Most people in my class found it 'hard' although I suspect that is mostly because they didn't really put the effort in.

Sociology, like a lot of humanities A-Levels is one of those subjects where if you're moderately intelligent, willing to put the effort in and have a decent memory, you will do well.

You certainly do not need prior knowledge of sociology to be able to do the A-Level. GCSE Sociology is not a popular GCSE.

Most places, at least as far as I can tell, offer AQA Sociology at A-Level, and most places seem to run the following modules: 'Families and Households' and either Education or Health, accompanied by research methods in the first year. 'Beliefs in Society' and 'Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods' in the second year.

A lot of people really dislike the second module in the second year. It is by far and away the biggest module in the A-Level. A lot of people struggle with it.

I quite enjoyed it, although in hindsight I found it quite easy. I ended up with 98% of the possible marks and I'm really not that clever.
J.Nalbandian14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sociology isn't a hard alevel, compare it to the harder material such as Biology, Chemistry and Maths then you will fund that it is relatively easy.
helenaglasgow
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Cezz)
I loved Sociology. So much that I'm taking it as a degree (I can only apply for my preferred career at 21 so I thought I'd get a degree in the meantime). I didn't take it at GCSE just A Level and I enjoyed it very much.
what career do u want if u don't mind me asking
popcornjpg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you guys realise OP made this thread in 2012?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads