nott accom Watch

This discussion is closed.
ali_117
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
neone know which are the nicest halls (in central campus) at nottingham uni is?
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ali_117)
lenton, the old parts of hugh stewart, lincoln and nightingale

-be warned, get your form in asap as the accom office is notioriously (ack cant spell) rubbish
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You can't actually specify a hall on the accommodation form, just a type of room.Obviously, if you find a hall you like, see which rooms it has the most of and apply for that type of room. As Rah said, get the accommodation forms back quick. Or, fill it out online from April 1st (before the forms get to most people I think).
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by .NK)
You can't actually specify a hall on the accommodation form, just a type of room.Obviously, if you find a hall you like, see which rooms it has the most of and apply for that type of room. As Rah said, get the accommodation forms back quick. Or, fill it out online from April 1st (before the forms get to most people I think).
The girl who was taking us round at the open day said that you could actually put down a preference for a hall if you had one, but they were under no obligation to put you in there.

Out of interest, are there any halls to avoid?
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Frances)
The girl who was taking us round at the open day said that you could actually put down a preference for a hall if you had one, but they were under no obligation to put you in there.
Oooo, I didn't know that! I didn't apply for University Park anyway so I wasn't entirely sure to begin with...

As to halls to avoid, I wouldn't be able to comment because I've only seen inside Cavendish, but I know people in Rutland get a lot of stick (because it used to be an all-boys hall).

Again, not meaning to plug, but take a look at the following thread. (If the link doesn't work, go to http://www.thesite.org, find the student discussion board and find threads from the last 30 days. There should be one called 'Accommodation at Nottingham Uni')

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/show...threadid=59747

Hope that's of some help
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Frances)

Out of interest, are there any halls to avoid?
yeah you can put your preference under 'additional information', i wrote down three of the halls i fancied and they put me in lincoln so all was cool.

avoid rutland. period. hehe..they have a reputation for cheating and generally are irrationally disliked
Diamond Geezer
Report 14 years ago
Which 1 has the best bar?!
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Diamond Geezer)
Which 1 has the best bar?!
hugh stewarts is the cheapest, also has the rep for being the 'party' hall but has a lot of public school people if that bothers you
andyreid
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
genrally id advise you not to enter this dump of a city

but as you are,do not go to raleigh,violent ghetto there

try the beeston halls
LongGone
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by andyreid)
It's a good job nobody actually cares what you think then isn't it :rolleyes:
.NK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

try the beeston halls
There's only really one hall in Beeston, and that's self catered. The three main (catered) halls closest to Beeston are Willoughby, Cavendish and Ancaster, but they're still on the main campus. It's nice being so close to shops in Beeston, but it's quite a walk from here to the QMC. It depends on what course you're doing I guess as to where it's best to be. In the end, you're probably going to lectures most days, but food/clothes shopping less often.
*smile*
Report 14 years ago
What is your problem?? These people are asking decent questions about a fantastic university and all you can do is dampen their excitement about going there! You seem to have made your opinions quite clear in ALL Nottingham threads and I don't regard your views as very helpful to others.
ali_117
i wanted a hall in uni park really (the catered ones). hugh stew and lincoln seems quite nice. neone know nething about lenton?
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i dunno if this is at all significant, but

http://www.studentuk.com

has a 360 degree view of some halls in nottingham

rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
i wanted a hall in uni park really (the catered ones). hugh stew and lincoln seems quite nice. neone know nething about lenton?
lenton(or lenton and wortley as it is really called) is opposite lincoln, really what matters is where your lectures are going to be, if you are in the law and social science building(law,politics,sociology) or economics and geography then you will want one of the halls towards the center of the campus ie lincoln,lenton,derby,hu stu and cripps. your biggest consideration should be how much of a lie-in you can manage each day

lenton is very nice btw but their bar is quite small considering the halls size
ali_117
i like the sound of husgh stu, but only the old part! what kind of room should i specify (ie shared bathroom ensuite etc..) to get the older blocks?
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
i like the sound of husgh stu, but only the old part! what kind of room should i specify (ie shared bathroom ensuite etc..) to get the older blocks?
definetly not shared bathroom as that is what my friend in the new bit is in, to be honest its a bit hit and miss, if you want overall nice accomodation cripps might be a better choice. plus unless you have a valid reason for specifying a hall you arent guranteed to get it.

hmm i'd try putting shared study down really, at least then if you dont get hugh stu you will have the biggest chance of getting a university campus hall
ali_117
(Original post by rah)
definetly not shared bathroom as that is what my friend in the new bit is in, to be honest its a bit hit and miss, if you want overall nice accomodation cripps might be a better choice. plus unless you have a valid reason for specifying a hall you arent guranteed to get it.

hmm i'd try putting shared study down really, at least then if you dont get hugh stu you will have the biggest chance of getting a university campus hall
its not that unlkely i wont get a place i specify is it? i know they get so many applications but im planning on doing the accom form as soon as it comes out.
rah
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
its not that unlkely i wont get a place i specify is it? i know they get so many applications but im planning on doing the accom form as soon as it comes out.
applying online is your best bet but to be honest there seems to be no specific policy on being able to choose your hall. as to whether you get a place on uni campus this is very debatable.

apparently this year they lost all the forms or something half way so loads of my friends who applied early enough got put in broadgate or jubilee, it also seems to depend on department as to how quickly you will get the forms, i swear half the politics lot is in broadgate :rolleyes:

you *should* get a uni campus place if you are quick enough but be prepared for a broadgate or raleigh park one just in case

*ahem* not that there is anything wrong with broadgate..hehe
ali_117
no way! i want one in uni park! im gonna mainly b usin the econ building. ur friends who hav applied this yr? dont tell me that 1st yrs hav sent their forms already?....!u mean 2nd yr students right??
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (392)
79.84%
Leave (99)
20.16%

Watched Threads