Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck between the relationship between Volume and the surface area.

Ie V is proportional to an inverse function. But I forgot the inverse function. Any help?

ReputationRep:
    Surely volume increases with surface area?

Geometrists and topologists come help out! Wait, are topologists interested in this stuff...

ReputationRep:
    Volume increses with surface area. But the relationships is like double the length = 4x the surface area = 8x the volume.

And my brain is tired. and I think it is an inverse relationship

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on the shape.
    Interestingly, the surface area of a sphere is equal to the derivative of the volume. But i dont think its true generally.

ReputationRep:
    So what about a general formula like x is proportional to xyz is that out of a question for the general shape?

What about the simple cube? Whats the general formula for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    So what about a general formula like x is proportional to xyz is that out of a question for the general shape?

Well you could add to the surface area without increasing the volume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

Well, the volume increases by the linear scale factor cubed and the surface area by 6 * (linear scale factor squared), so if the volume is multiplied by some constant, n, then the linear scale factor is multiplied by n^(1/3) and, hence, the surfce area is multiplied by 6n^(2/3). That could be utter rubbish - check it first!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

If you deal with specific regular shapes, then yes, you can find a relationship. If the shape is irregular, there isnt a relationship. Consider a cube, but one face has a triangular indentation. By making that indentation larger, the surface area increases, but the volume decreases, but increasing the other lengths increases both volume and surface area. So there isnt a general rule.

For a cube, V = sqrt(SurfaceArea/6)^3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    If you deal with specific regular shapes, then yes, you can find a relationship. If the shape is irregular, there isnt a relationship. Consider a cube, but one face has a triangular indentation. By making that indentation larger, the surface area increases, but the volume decreases, but increasing the other lengths increases both volume and surface area. So there isnt a general rule.

For a cube, V = sqrt(SurfaceArea/6)^3
    Good, I haven't made a fool of myself!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Well, the volume increases by the linear scale factor cubed and the surface area by 6 * (linear scale factor squared), so if the volume is multiplied by some constant, n, then the linear scale factor is multiplied by n^(1/3) and, hence, the surfce area is multiplied by 6n^(2/3). That could be utter rubbish - check it first!

Ben
    Yea, I think thats right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Volume increses with surface area. But the relationships is like double the length = 4x the surface area = 8x the volume.

And my brain is tired. and I think it is an inverse relationship
    do you mean (volume scale factor) = (length scale factor)³ = (area scale factor)^3/2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    It will depend on the shape.
    Interestingly, the surface area of a sphere is equal to the derivative of the volume. But i dont think its true generally.
    is that a direct consequence of the divergence theorem?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.