Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Subject really sums up this thread, and is started by Dani's comments on the Secrets Act thread. Do people reckon HM's Government have, and continue to 'dispose' of people when they see fit? And on what scale would you guess we are talking?

I know this thread will be pure speculation, just wondering what people think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Subject really sums up this thread, and is started by Dani's comments on the Secrets Act thread. Do people reckon HM's Government have, and continue to 'dispose' of people when they see fit? And on what scale would you guess we are talking?

I know this thread will be pure speculation, just wondering what people think...
    I reckon if the person is too high profile then disposing them would bring too much publicity- so only if the person isn't well known, yes.

ReputationRep:

If they cause a threat to national security then shoot the buggers

ReputationRep:
    Vicky's dad was murdered by the Kray's henchmen though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What about Diana? The conspiracy theories abound.

I'd say its definitely been done before, but not to a 'celebrity' figure as it would attract too much attention, probably more to spies that have turned into double agents, people nobody would miss.
    my point exactly poke pig

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What about Diana? The conspiracy theories abound.

I'd say its definitely been done before, but not to a 'celebrity' figure as it would attract too much attention, probably more to spies that have turned into double agents, people nobody would miss.
    As a conspiracy it's preposterous. You know in advance that two people are going to get in a car, that the driver's drunk, that it will drive exactly where youwant, that no-one will do up their seatbelts...
    Given the British secret service's record of competence they would have problems killing a fly with a flyswat.

ReputationRep:

of course they do, intellgence services here and in the US have a history of transfering criminals to other countrys where they can be tortured or killed.

ReputationRep:
    If they did it properly then no one would even notice that they were a threat, as they would have been "got to" first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Given the British secret service's record of competence they would have problems killing a fly with a flyswat.
    Please expand. What are you refering to?

ReputationRep:
    Please expand. What are you refering to?
    Look at the people they gave jobs to: Kim Philby- a Soviet agent- was groomed to become head of the SIS. Add Peter Wright and David Shayler for starters...

ReputationRep:

I don't think so. At least i'd not like to think so.

ReputationRep:

I'm sure most States bump off a few "undesirables" every now and then. I still find David Kelly's 'suicide" highly suspicious but then again the government has been cleared of any wrong doing so I guess that must be right.........erm......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Look at the people they gave jobs to: Kim Philby- a Soviet agent- was groomed to become head of the SIS. Add Peter Wright and David Shayler for starters...
    Granted. But the UK security services are pretty large. Those few agents might be there mere tip of an iceburg, with the rest being highly successful.

ReputationRep:
    No.

I believe the people should be allowed to dispose of the state when they see fit.

(well....you asked..)

ReputationRep:
    Granted. But the UK security services are pretty large. Those few agents might be there mere tip of an iceburg, with the rest being highly successful.
    actually, the security services in this country are small in relation to those of other countries, such as Russia and the US.

ReputationRep:
    Dr David Kelly?

ReputationRep:
    Well, the rest of an iceberg is the same stuff as the tip.
    The most successful- known- UK intelligence recruits, Penkovsky and Gordievsky, were Soviet citizens who decided they loathed their own state so much they wanted to destroy it and came over of their own will. The Spanish secret service murdered ETA activists, and it's been suggested that the worst bombs in Ireland were planted by the UDA with British secret service help.
    As for Dr Kelly: what reason did the British secret service have to kill him? He'd already said all he knew. If he was murdered it was much more likely to be someone who wanted more of a fuss made.
    The origin of this thread- Princess Diana: I pointed out that as a murder it relied too much on luck to be credible. If people wanted her dead make sure she caught HIV or vCJD or some other nasty disease in one of her angel of mercy acts. Much easier- use a hypodermic and there you are.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.