The Student Room Group

My love/hate relationship with Doc Martens

I absolutely adore Doc Martens shoes, and my mum got me a pair of red shiny ones way back in january. They look great but the more than slight problem is that they absolutely murder my feet.

I have size 3 1/2 feet so I'm used to shoes not fitting properly and getting blisters, but the pain I end up in from Doc Martens is in another world completely and I'm gutted since so many people reckon they're the comfiest shoes ever.

Mum's been wearing in my red ones (slowly) as she has size 4 feet and they fit her comfortably, but there is an absolutely gorgeous floral pair that I'm lusting over (http://www.schuh.co.uk/dr-martens/womens-black-and-pink-dr-martens-print-1460-8-eye/1446119370)

Basically I was just wondering a few things

1. Is there anyone else like me with awkwardly sized feet (mine are also really narrow) that has to put up with this? And if so how do you get around it?
2. Does anyone know of any places which are good to get modern style Docs which are used and broken in already?
3. Would it be weird to pay someone to wear in my boots for me?!

I hate my feet :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mine really killed when I first got them but now they are worn in they are the most comfertable shoes ever. What I did was wear two pairs of smooth tights, a pair of normal socks and a pair of thick socks which mostly prevented pain. The tights are the most important, because they are held up at the top they slide against each other rather than rubbing. I still wear mine with two pairs of normal socks.

As for used shoes, I by lots from ebay. They generally have quite a few used pairs and significantly reduced prices! Obviously it means you can't return them but if you know the size will be right it is fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Floral-Dr-Martens-Size-4-/180957775011

I don't know about paying someone, I don't think people do it professionally but if someone you know is willing, why not try?

Good luck with them and persevere, once they are worn in you will love them!
Reply 2
I wouldn't get someone else to break them in - I've got a second-hand pair and, while they're still comfortable, they don't fit as well as the ones I've bought new, as they're moulded to the shape of someone else's foot.

Would getting insoles help? Doc Martens sell their own, which presumably will fit their boots perfectly.
Reply 3
Original post by panda4power
Mine really killed when I first got them but now they are worn in they are the most comfertable shoes ever. What I did was wear two pairs of smooth tights, a pair of normal socks and a pair of thick socks which mostly prevented pain. The tights are the most important, because they are held up at the top they slide against each other rather than rubbing. I still wear mine with two pairs of normal socks.

As for used shoes, I by lots from ebay. They generally have quite a few used pairs and significantly reduced prices! Obviously it means you can't return them but if you know the size will be right it is fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Floral-Dr-Martens-Size-4-/180957775011

I don't know about paying someone, I don't think people do it professionally but if someone you know is willing, why not try?

Good luck with them and persevere, once they are worn in you will love them!

Thanks for the advice! That sounds like a plan, and I'm actually already watching that pair xD
I guess socks are the way to go really, at least summer weather is now well and truly gone though.

Original post by superwolf
I wouldn't get someone else to break them in - I've got a second-hand pair and, while they're still comfortable, they don't fit as well as the ones I've bought new, as they're moulded to the shape of someone else's foot.

Would getting insoles help? Doc Martens sell their own, which presumably will fit their boots perfectly.

Yes but if someone else wore them in they wouldn't be brutally hard at the back, the pain is that unbearable that I doubt insoles would do much. thanks for the suggestion though!
I'm sure that if you offered to pay someone to wear them in, they'd be willing. It sounds like easy money. However, with you having so small feet it might be difficult to find someone who's the same size as you.

I love Docs. I have a pair of white ones with flowers on and a sparkly silver pair. I just try not to wear them for really long periods of time.
Reply 5
Maybe wear something more comfortable. Enduring pain in the name of fashion is a bit ridiculous.
I love the designs, I hate the sizes they come in!

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice :smile: on the iPad/iPod app
Reply 7
The size thing is an issue for me too. I have really narrow feet. I got blisters for about a month wearing mine. :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by IAmTheKing
Maybe wear something more comfortable. Enduring pain in the name of fashion is a bit ridiculous.

Actually, once you wear them in they are the comfiest shoes you could own aside from slippers. And they last for years and can be worn for pretty much everything

I'm hardly tottering around in heels half the height of my shins ¬_¬
Reply 9
Original post by OU Student
The size thing is an issue for me too. I have really narrow feet. I got blisters for about a month wearing mine. :frown:

I have scarring on the backs of my feet from various shoes :frown: Rocket Dogs used to be awful for me as well, but they must have changed the sizing at some point as they're the best shoes I can find now, narrowness is still an issue though
Original post by megan.c
I have scarring on the backs of my feet from various shoes :frown:

Same. The only footwear I've never had problems with is trainers.:frown: Even then, I've got to get small sizes which many shops do not stock.:frown:
Have you tried insoles and stick-on gel heel pads?

I have several pairs, and even though they're well worn in they still sometimes eat my heels. I've developed hard skin on my heels from wearing them every day though and that helps. I don't dare remove it because when I do I get horrible blisters.
Oh gosh! I can't imagine wearing shoes that dont fit properly. I work selling hiking footwear so I always over anaylise the comfort of a shoe (where its got to the annoyance of my friends and trying on heels! >.< ) but if soemthings giving you blisters is it worth it?

I really wanted a pair of vans so eventually i saved up and tried a pair on.
I don't fit vans. I was gutted. :frown: I'm a size six or seven but the vans felt like they were designed for people with totally different shaped feet to me!

I have really narrow heels, wide across the toes and really wonky big toes (not from poor fitting shoes, from birth) shoe shopping is such a pain D: atleast I'm a normal shoe size, I don't envy the OP at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by OU Student
Same. The only footwear I've never had problems with is trainers.:frown: Even then, I've got to get small sizes which many shops do not stock.:frown:

Mmm trainers. So comfy but yet so not attractive.

Original post by TheHyacinthGirl
Have you tried insoles and stick-on gel heel pads?

I have several pairs, and even though they're well worn in they still sometimes eat my heels. I've developed hard skin on my heels from wearing them every day though and that helps. I don't dare remove it because when I do I get horrible blisters.

I haven't tried insoles - you'd think I would have done but I didn't think of the obvious! I don't know that the gel pads would work though as the shoes have cut through blister plasters before annoyingly.
I bet the hard skin is attractive! Doesn't matter though if your feet can endure it though I guess :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by OnlyOxygen
Oh gosh! I can't imagine wearing shoes that dont fit properly. I work selling hiking footwear so I always over anaylise the comfort of a shoe (where its got to the annoyance of my friends and trying on heels! >.< ) but if soemthings giving you blisters is it worth it?

I really wanted a pair of vans so eventually i saved up and tried a pair on.
I don't fit vans. I was gutted. :frown: I'm a size six or seven but the vans felt like they were designed for people with totally different shaped feet to me!

I have really narrow heels, wide across the toes and really wonky big toes (not from poor fitting shoes, from birth) shoe shopping is such a pain D: atleast I'm a normal shoe size, I don't envy the OP at all.

Unfortunately, because of me have feet in a half size there is are very few brands of shoe which will fit me properly so I have to put up with discomfort for the first few weeks of wear :frown: very few of my shoes give me pain in the long run though! Things like hiking boots are great as they are actually designed to fit peoples feet and I can get good fitting ones!!

I like vans but I know what you mean about the different shaped feet thing. They're a bit narrow at the end so your feet have to be perfectly proportioned for them, it's the only thing my feet actually have going for them really!!
You'd fit a pair of hitecs well, and probably Merrells :P
hitecs have awesome arch support.

i hate wearing spindly heels but i feel like i could wear wedges all day, si that just me?
Reply 16
Oh not at all, wedges and chunky heels are much better than spindly ones :smile:
I just wear mine with slipper socks, does the trick.
Original post by megan.c
I have scarring on the backs of my feet from various shoes :frown: Rocket Dogs used to be awful for me as well, but they must have changed the sizing at some point as they're the best shoes I can find now, narrowness is still an issue though

I have ridiculously narrow long (sz 7.5) feet and I find M&S are quite good. Also Tu (Sainsburys) pumps, which I sew elastic across
Reply 19
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I have ridiculously narrow long (sz 7.5) feet and I find M&S are quite good. Also Tu (Sainsburys) pumps, which I sew elastic across

Quick Reply

Latest