Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can a long distance relationship work?
    :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annika17)
    :
    I think it depends on the people involved and how genuinely in love and committed they are to each other. I don't personally think I would try it myself.
    eg: when I go to uni I want a clean slate, and i know this sounds cold-hearted, but nothing holding me back. xxx

ReputationRep:
    depends on how committed the people are, how much you trust each other, how far long distance it is, how long it would be for...

but it can work yes.. my best friend and her boyfriend have a ltr- she is at uni in exceter and he is at uni in cardiff...

give me some more info and i'll try and give you some better advice!!

xx

ReputationRep:
    if ur both committed, both trust each other, and u can b trusted theres no reason why it can't.

if u no ur intention is to be together at one point in your reltionship, maybe move in together GO FOR IT!

ReputationRep:
    :
    It's excruciatingly difficult and it will be very different to being together, but the promise of being reunited eventually is good enough for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    It's excruciatingly difficult and it will be very different to being together, but the promise of being reunited eventually is good enough for me
    well worth the wait and somethin to look forward to

:
    I've tried it, sometimes it works but you have to stay true to each other and have the will to make it work. Being far away from your man is tough but its such a nice experience when you get to see each other again. *sigh* x

ReputationRep:
    :
    I've been in one for over 18 months now and while it did work I don't think it is anymore. Trust is very important and people who are too clingy aren't suited to it at all.

Also it depends how much you'll see the other person. Whenever I see my partner now it just seems to turn into a lot of sex and not much else, making up for lost time or something I don't know.

Talking on the phone a lot the phone a lot helps so be prepared for big phone bills. Really I would advise against it unless it is for someone very very special to you.

Really I would advise against it unless it is for someone very very special to you.[/QUOTE]

here, here i agree

ReputationRep:
    :

annika????

ReputationRep:
    I would be lying if i said they weren't bloody difficult. I'm in one at the moment, i'm at UEA and my boyfriend's at Exeter - about 7 hours away We did break up for uni and were single for all of last semester, but over christmas came to the conclusion that as we were so damn unhappy not being together, it was worth giving a go. It's hard work, and i agree about the phonebill comment - mine was £87 last month! But at the moment, i think it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    :
    Usually no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I've been in one for over 18 months now and while it did work I don't think it is anymore. Trust is very important and people who are too clingy aren't suited to it at all.

Also it depends how much you'll see the other person. Whenever I see my partner now it just seems to turn into a lot of sex and not much else, making up for lost time or something I don't know.

Talking on the phone a lot the phone a lot helps so be prepared for big phone bills. Really I would advise against it unless it is for someone very very special to you.
    I agree, its really hard to make time to see each other, I've been with my boyfriend over 2 years and the whole time its been a long distance thing. Overall its worked (we're still together at least) but as Gimp says, a lot of the time he comes to visit and we spend the whole time in bed, its as if the relationship is only about sex, wouldn't dream of ending it though, only 4 months to go then hopefully we'll at least be living in the same town!

I'd definately advise making sure you get a good phone tariff, or a landline though, its bloody expensive!

ReputationRep:
    just realised i wrote "the phone a lot" twice. retard

(Original post by ditzy)
    its as if the relationship is only about sex, wouldn't dream of ending it though
    good for u. im findin it a big struggle atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    just realised i wrote "the phone a lot" twice. retard

good for u. im findin it a big struggle atm.
    aaw

ReputationRep:
    I've been with my man for nearly 8 months now. Its been long distance for about 5, maybe 6 months. Its so hard!!! We see each other a few times a month, and we speak on the phone everyday. He lives in West Yorkshire, and I now live in Birmingham. Sometimes I feel like giving up, because I don't see the point in all this long distance stuff. But I really feel like I love him, and he feels the same way, so I suppose it really is something worth waiting for. I've said to him that after I've finished my studies, I'll move back up to West Yorkshire to be with him. And that isn't too long. Only next year.

But don't you think the wait is worth it, when true love is involved?

ReputationRep:
    My bf went to uni in September 2002 (3 hours away), it's bloody difficult but if you are committed, rich enough to pay the phone bill and get train tickets to visit on a regular basis, then it works pretty nicely.

Won't know what to do with myself this september though, being in the same city as him!! Can't wait

ReputationRep:
    :
    It's hard. It is possibly one of the hardest things you'll ever attempt. It's also deceptive, as people find the first few months easy and it is only later when the strain really begins.

But regards if it can work... of course it can. Chances are it won't, statistically most university relationships do fail. But yours may be one of the exceptions and I hope it is, if that is what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    It's hard. It is possibly one of the hardest things you'll ever attempt. It's also deceptive, as people find the first few months easy and it is only later when the strain really begins.

But regards if it can work... of course it can. Chances are it won't, statistically most university relationships do fail. But yours may be one of the exceptions and I hope it is, if that is what you want.
    Yes there is a big feeling that you're wasting your time for me anyway! hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    Yes there is a big feeling that you're wasting your time for me anyway! hehe

Gimp- i think u need to talk to ur other half!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.