The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i haven't heard bad stuff about Cardiff uni so far. This is a first.
Reply 2
I do maths there and the medics are a bunch of gimps. True story.
Original post by RollandGarros
Okay, let me re-phrase my response then...rankings mean **** all.

Rankings mean bugger all, but a consistently low student satisfaction score for the course does mean something and is a legit thing to ask about.

It's been talked about on here before, apparently there was some unhappiness about the courses organisation and particularly lack of feedback. Plus there are some pretty far flung places you can be based in in clinical years.

I think someone said they were ovehauling the course this year or something. I'm sure some Cardiff students will be along to explain it soon enough. I think Elwyn is one.
Reply 4
Original post by Orinincandenza
Looking at Cardiff university school of medicine, i can't immediately see anything that would make it too bad for it's students yet, it's always got awful rankings on league tables, and student satisfaction is down to like 69%

Can any students there or elsewhere shed any light on this ?

Hi, I study radiography at Cardiff in the same campus as the medical students. In answer to your question as to why Cardiff is bad, here's a list of points that might help shed some light on the issue:

1. Staff incompetence is rife. Lecturers don't care, admininistrative staff don't care. The security guards don't care. Nobody gives a single damn about their job and the students. Nobody does their job properly. Now you might think 'hey great I can slack and nobody would care'. Hell no!!!! This university expects 100% from you but is only willing to give you 1% back. No, they expect Inhumane hours from you and give you nothing but trouble and problems in return. Email lecturers and you'd be lucky to get a reply. Try to book an appointment with a lecturer and you will be turned away in the most callus demeaning way you can imagine. Staff are bullies and they will do their best to make your life hell at the uni. Our course lead is as incompetent as they get and most of our lecturers do their best to break you down so that you don't complain or open your mouth about the horrendousness of the course. Not one graduate I have come across so far has a single nice thing to say about Cardiff university or any of the lecturers.

2. Facilities - health library is packed especially on lunch times and before exams, no room to sit down let alone study. Student union is useless. Walking into the main building in the health department is like walking back into the Stone Age. It's literally falling apart. The lecture rooms are constantly kept dark and no heating during winter to save on electricity. The online portal where your lecture notes, time table and updates are kept is a terrible mess. Printing costs are ridiculous. The Library is tiny and empty of books. Library staff are useless. Library guards are rude as hell. Very very few computers in the university. I think all in all we have like 40 computers for all the students in the health campus? The library is only just now trialing laptop loans but the way they do it is just terrible. We have a model X-ray room at the university that they boast on their website. What they don't say on their website is that it is broken down and used as a storage place and students don't ever go in there. Marking is slow and you never get your results on time. If you are a disabled student who gets extra time to hand in work, you have to wait an extra three months after the results come out and you hand your work in before you get yours. Marking is terriblly strict and carried out by incompetent bafoons who make stupid silly blatantly obvious mistakes that are laughable, but the grade is final and you can't complain or get your work remarked. That's the university policy. Yes, incompetence and laziness is part of Cardiff university policy.

3. Students are treated with great disrespect and lack of trust. Everything in the university is put together in such a way as to make your life difficult. All the students hang their heads low so as to not attract attention. If you attract attention at this university, if you are intelligent and hard working they will see you as a threat and you will suffer.

4. Course organization is abysmal and torturous. It will significantly affect your grades and wellbeing and the university nor its lecturers give a single damn. I remember talking to one of our lecturers about this once, that some students were having nervous break downs in our year etc. Her reply? You are going to get a feedback form next year before you graduate, fill it in and we will look it. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Cardiff university is a huge charade. It portrays itself as something to the outside world that is completely different to its reality. Studying at Cardiff is a nightmare. Drop out rates for our course last year were approximately 40%. Can you believe that? Just in case you are wandering that is twice the national average for our course and four times what is deemed acceptable by the department of Heath. Compare that to 10% at the university of Portsmouth. This unbelievable number should tell you that there is something hugely wrong with this university and it's much more serious than I can do it justice in this comment. This university is a mafia institute not an academic institute. Attending this university is kissing your future goodbye.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Axial
This university is a mafia institute not an academic institute. Attending this university is kissing your future goodbye.

You made a TSR account and bumped a four-year-old thread, just to say this? Seriously? The OP has probably not logged in in years.
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
You made a TSR account and bumped a four-year-old thread, just to say this? Seriously? The OP has probably not logged in in years.

I'm sorry, did I break the Internet doing that?
Original post by Axial
I'm sorry, did I break the Internet doing that?

you for real? why bump such an old thread just to say something stupid like that...

I will have you know cardiff is a great medical school, just like every other medical school in the country. and its new course means its doing quite well now.

please stop bumping threads