Can you self teach yourself GCSE Science? Watch

Acidy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I was unable to take them for GCSE for certain reasons regarding my schools ethos. Is it actually possible to do this?
winning11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes, over one hour if you try really hard.
Acidy
Rep:
?
(Original post by winning11)
yes, over one hour if you try really hard.
yeah right, XD
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes, most of it is simple memorization and then just practise with a few questions.
A.sniper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you can teach yourself anything using books, internet and practice.

especially academic stuff like a-levels and degrees

anyone who tells you otherwise is a human being with no thirst for making the most of life

winners find challenges, losers find excuses
>Untitled<
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It is required by law for pupils to take atleast one science isn't it? And yes it's possible. It's memorisation and practising questions.

I taught myself an Astronomy GCSE over a year and came out with a good grade :yep:
bestofyou
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which ones?

Biology would be the easiest for most people.

Physics at GCSE is fine once you learn all the formulas (and know how to rearrange them)

Chemistry...well I hated Chemistry but it isn't hard.

If you do on to BBC bitesize as well as get yourself the exam board text books and teh CGP revision guides then you will be good to go. If you struggle maybe get a tutor or even a friend who maybe took/is taking the subjects at A-level to help.

Also, school ethos? Preventing students from studying STEM subjects that the global economy is in need of? Are you by any chance a girl studying at some sort of really traditional school? Do you wear a dress down to your feet and sometimes lift the dress above your ankles to tease the boys?

(Original post by >Untitled<)
It is required by law for pupils to take atleast one science isn't it? And yes it's possible. It's memorisation and practising questions.

I taught myself an Astronomy GCSE over a year and came out with a good grade :yep:

When I did my GCSEs Maths, English, Science was all compulsory then not long after they changed it to just maths and english I think. So perhaps the maths counts as the compulsory science maybe.
Politricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bestofyou)
Also, school ethos? Preventing students from studying STEM subjects that the global economy is in need of? Are you by any chance a girl studying at some sort of really traditional school?
Or perhaps she goes to a school where there's more emphasis placed on BTECs and vocational qualifications.

Which sort of 'traditional' school are you referring to?
Purple Giraffe
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Definitely. If you get the revision book for your exam board and course, you can just memorise the majority of it and you'll sail through. It's pretty much what I did as my teacher was useless.
username537823
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ye easy
Politricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Acidy)
I was unable to take them for GCSE for certain reasons regarding my schools ethos. Is it actually possible to do this?
Yes, it's very possible. It's possible to finish a whole GCSE science textbook in a whole week or two if you put in enough hours each day.
Acidy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Politricks)
Or perhaps she goes to a school where there's more emphasis placed on BTECs and vocational qualifications.

Yup, you guessed it- and I'm male=p
Sabr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
not sure about all three, but chemistry i learnt all by myself, memorized the specification (AQA), did A LOT of past papers, and got 100%

it can be done, just be prepared to put time and effort
Dragonfly07
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can teach yourself any university course that doesn't require lab work if you wanted. As long as you have the resources it's not too difficult to learn anything.

I self taught myself through GCSE, A-level and the first year of uni (classes aren't my thing, I don't like getting out of bed).
bestofyou
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Politricks)

This type of traditional school
Spoiler:
Show

Well BTECs are essentially vocational GCSEs. So if this is the case she has already covered most of the content (if not all of it) so there would be no reason to 'self-teach' the GCSE. All she needs to do is be entered for the exam and buy a few revision guides and learn the content from by heart (something BTECs don't require).

And I was clearing joking, well done for being a so humourless. Are you from the USA by any chance?
Attached files
Acidy
Rep:
?
(Original post by bestofyou)
This type of traditional school
Spoiler:
Show

Well BTECs are essentially vocational GCSEs. So if this is the case she has already covered most of the content (if not all of it) so there would be no reason to 'self-teach' the GCSE. All she needs to do is be entered for the exam and buy a few revision guides and learn the content from by heart (something BTECs don't require).

And I was clearing joking, well done for being a so humourless. Are you from the USA by any chance?
Unless they've started studying GCSEs in America, then no. And nonsense I adore your satire, *yawn* please do go on
bestofyou
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Acidy)
Unless they've started studying GCSEs in America, then no. And nonsense I adore your satire, *yawn* please do go on
1) Being from the USA does not necessarily mean that you are living/studying/studied there)

2) You can also IGCSEs in USA

Plus, I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to Politricks, hence the quote
needchemhelp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
lol gcses? revise a week and get a pack of a*s... lmfao
Acidy
Rep:
?
(Original post by needchemhelp)
lol gcses? revise a week and get a pack of a*s... lmfao
Is this coming from experience?:P
Lunch_Box
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. My teachers were pretty poor. Take the initiative and read the textbook and do practice questions and papers until you feel the pain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?