The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

GCSE Grades For Imperial

I couldn't find any information on the imperial website as to GCSE requirements, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me on here.

I want to study Chemistry at Imperial, and I've chosen to do Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry at A-Leve.

My GCSEs are:

Spoiler

I would prefer it if the people that answered weren't sarcastic like some are on other threads, I just need to know where I can be aiming for before I start A-Levels.

Edit: I glad people are -neg for this.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The subjects you have chosen are perfect if you want to study chemistry, what do you imperial?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by sarahjones95
The subjects you have chosen are perfect if you want to study chemistry, what do you imperial?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I want to know if my GCSE grades are suitable in order to be able to get into imperial.
I'm sure they're fine. Highly doubt one B would hold you back.
Reply 4
absolutly fine, I got an offer for engineering with worse grades- 5A*s 5As and 1 B. Just focus on A levels now; good luck.
Reply 5
Those are fine.

I found this on the website in the Chemistry section:

"For all courses, passes are required in English, mathematics and physics or combined science at GCSE, typically grade B or better (grade B for English)."

Obviously most applicants will offer GCSEs much better than B grades. Your grades are great so I would not worry. If you look at the applicant stalking pages from the previous admission cycles you'll see people get offers with lower GCSE grades than yours.
Reply 6
Oh, thanks guys. I just need to ace my A-levels now :biggrin:
Reply 7
That is perfectly fine. I got in with 3 A*, 3 A's, 3B's and a C.
Original post by CJG21
I couldn't find any information on the imperial website as to GCSE requirements, so I'm wondering if anyone can help me on here.

I want to study Chemistry at Imperial, and I've chosen to do Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry at A-Leve.

My GCSEs are:

Spoiler

I would prefer it if the people that answered weren't sarcastic like some are on other threads, I just need to know where I can be aiming for before I start A-Levels.

Hi, i will be starting chemistry with molecular physics at imperial this september.
My IGCSE grades were: Chemistry - A*, English 1st Lang - A*, History - A*, Geography - A*, Economics - A, IT - A, English Lit - A, Maths - A, Physics - A

AS - Chem - A, Physics - A, Maths - A, Bio - B

A2 - A*s in Chem, Maths and Physics (dropped Bio after AS)
(i was also predicted these A2 grades when i was applying - i dont know to what extent that effected getting an offer)

So I think you can definitely get in with your grades so far. However you are taking a lot of AS subjects. Imperial requires 3 A levels only (offers this year were AAA, i dont know how likely this is to change) it might be easier for you to get the best grades if you drop one subject (you would still have 4 that way which is above the requirement anyway) as i really dont think its necessary to have this many, however only you can know whats best for you :smile: good luck with your application :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by overninethousand
Hi, i will be starting chemistry with molecular physics at imperial this september.
My IGCSE grades were: Chemistry - A*, English 1st Lang - A*, History - A*, Geography - A*, Economics - A, IT - A, English Lit - A, Maths - A, Physics - A

AS - Chem - A, Physics - A, Maths - A, Bio - B

A2 - A*s in Chem, Maths and Physics (dropped Bio after AS)
(i was also predicted these A2 grades when i was applying - i dont know to what extent that effected getting an offer)

So I think you can definitely get in with your grades so far. However you are taking a lot of AS subjects. Imperial requires 3 A levels only (offers this year were AAA, i dont know how likely this is to change) it might be easier for you to get the best grades if you drop one subject (you would still have 4 that way which is above the requirement anyway) as i really dont think its necessary to have this many, however only you can know whats best for you :smile: good luck with your application :biggrin:

Thanks. That's the subject I really want to do. They only offer it at imperial and nottingham, and there are only 20 places on the course at Imperial so congrats on getting in. Do you know how many people applied for the course?

I think I can get 5a's at AS if I try really hard, but I'm expecting myself to get AAAAB, and then drop biology.
Original post by CJG21
Thanks. That's the subject I really want to do. They only offer it at imperial and nottingham, and there are only 20 places on the course at Imperial so congrats on getting in. Do you know how many people applied for the course?

I think I can get 5a's at AS if I try really hard, but I'm expecting myself to get AAAAB, and then drop biology.

Well i actually applied for the 4 year Msci Chemistry course and after i received my results and my place was confirmed i just asked to be transferred. anyone can transfer between the various chemistry courses until the the start of 3rd year provided the you taken the required ancillary subjects in year 1 and 2 (for molecular physics they are "maths and physics for chemists" - but to take this ancillary subject you should have physics at A level). so as far as i know it wont really matter which chemistry course you apply to initially, your chances of getting in will be the same. i think that rather than 20 places available this is just the number of chemistry students choosing to take the course.
Reply 11
Well i actually applied for the 4 year Msci Chemistry course and after i received my results and my place was confirmed i just asked to be transferred. anyone can transfer between the various chemistry courses until the the start of 3rd year provided the you taken the required ancillary subjects in year 1 and 2 (for molecular physics they are "maths and physics for chemists" - but to take this ancillary subject you should have physics at A level). so as far as i know it wont really matter which chemistry course you apply to initially, your chances of getting in will be the same. i think that rather than 20 places available this is just the number of chemistry students choosing to take the course.

Oh, well thats good. Have you been round Imperial yet? How good are the chemistry facilities?
And finally (I hate to bug you), but how completive is chemistry? Ie, what ratio of students actually get in?

Thanks.
Original post by CJG21
Oh, well thats good. Have you been round Imperial yet? How good are the chemistry facilities?
And finally (I hate to bug you), but how completive is chemistry? Ie, what ratio of students actually get in?

Thanks.

I unfortunately havent been at imperial yet, i was outside of europe last year so i wasnt invited for an interview :frown: but im sure their facilities will be awesome (it is one of the richest universities after all and they carry out some of the best chemistry research in the world)

As far as i know chemistry is not especially competitive, about 3 applicants per place. i think if you get the AS grades you expect you will pretty much be guaranteed an offer unless you punch an interviewer or something similar :tongue:

feel free to ask any more questions, i have absolutely nothing to do until i start the course at the end of september :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
I unfortunately havent been at imperial yet, i was outside of europe last year so i wasnt invited for an interview :frown: but im sure their facilities will be awesome (it is one of the richest universities after all and they carry out some of the best chemistry research in the world)

As far as i know chemistry is not especially competitive, about 3 applicants per place. i think if you get the AS grades you expect you will pretty much be guaranteed an offer unless you punch an interviewer or something similar :tongue:

feel free to ask any more questions, i have absolutely nothing to do until i start the course at the end of september :P

Oh, well that's cheered me up. Did you do any chemistry-related work experience? (And how was chemistry and maths at A-level)
Original post by CJG21
Oh, well that's cheered me up. Did you do any chemistry-related work experience? (And how was chemistry and maths at A-level)

None at all :P (i think very few applicants would have)

my exam board for chemistry and maths was edexcel so im not sure if my experience will apply to all exam boards. i found chemistry relatively easy and straight forward but very interesting as well (i suppose these things go hand in hand :P) i dont think i needed to work much harder than i had to at GCSE. However I had friends who had A*s in chemistry at GCSE but then struggled at AS and A2, so this is very subjective. though i think if you enjoy the subject you should be fine.

Maths as well was quite easy in terms of understanding and amount of work. however with maths the grade boundaries are quite high, especially if you aim for an A* so it took quite a lot of practice to make sure i didnt lose more than 3 raw marks in an exam (though this may be different with other exam boards). what makes it even harder is that A*s are only the average of C3 and C4 (and not the third A2 module as well) so the margin for error is quite small. however an A is definitely achievable without too much difficulty if you go through enough past papers.

Hey, sorry - do you know about the statistics for Physics? I imagine they would be similar, but It'd be good to know :smile:

Thanks.
Original post by luminouslime
Hey, sorry - do you know about the statistics for Physics? I imagine they would be similar, but It'd be good to know :smile:

Thanks.

hi :smile: this link has all sort of stats related to imperial

https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/planning/Public/stats_card/Imperial%20Stats%20Guide%2011_12.pdf

the admission for physics is 4.9 applicants per place, chemistry is 4.8 so it is almost the same :biggrin:
Reply 17

my exam board for chemistry and maths was edexcel so im not sure if my experience will apply to all exam boards. i found chemistry relatively easy and straight forward but very interesting as well (i suppose these things go hand in hand :P) i dont think i needed to work much harder than i had to at GCSE. However I had friends who had A*s in chemistry at GCSE but then struggled at AS and A2, so this is very subjective. though i think if you enjoy the subject you should be fine.

Maths as well was quite easy in terms of understanding and amount of work. however with maths the grade boundaries are quite high, especially if you aim for an A* so it took quite a lot of practice to make sure i didnt lose more than 3 raw marks in an exam (though this may be different with other exam boards). what makes it even harder is that A*s are only the average of C3 and C4 (and not the third A2 module as well) so the margin for error is quite small. however an A is definitely achievable without too much difficulty if you go through enough past papers.

I think I'm with AQA, but thanks anyway. Was it just the grades they looked at for getting in? Or did they require really high UMS or extra-curricular activities or anything?
Reply 18

I think I'm with AQA, but thanks anyway. Was it just the grades they looked at for getting in? Or did they require really high UMS or extra-curricular activities or anything?
Reply 19
hi :smile: this link has all sort of stats related to imperial

https://workspace.imperial.ac.uk/planning/Public/stats_card/Imperial%20Stats%20Guide%2011_12.pdf

the admission for physics is 4.9 applicants per place, chemistry is 4.8 so it is almost the same :biggrin:

Where it says 'average tariff score of entrants', chemistry is 529. A* being worth 140, A = 120 etc, do AS levels count towards this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending