Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an invitation to take part in this program, which said I have been nominated for having high academic achievements.

Well I don't know if it's fake or not, I checked on their web site: www.cylc.org but it doesn't look fake. Anybody knows??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    I got an invitation to take part in this program, which said I have been nominated for having high academic achievements.

Well I don't know if it's fake or not, I checked on their web site: www.cylc.org but it doesn't look fake. Anybody knows??
    Looks expensive. Unless scholarship? Who nominated you - or just invite out of the blue?

Plus, what are your academic achievements...

ReputationRep:

You're not sure if what is fake? Your invitation or the whole "global young leaders" thing?
    I don't know about your invitation, obviously, but I do know someone who took part in the global young leaders conference two years ago.
    Dunno if that helps at all...

ReputationRep:

its not a fake, me and my friend are going .. find out which teacher nominated you.. we knew anyway (well we bsically just asked if we could go) but you obviously werent told.. ask your school . its an amazing opportunity - a girl from our school went last year and met kofi annan.. were going to the new york-washington dc one august 11 .. woudl you consider going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    its not a fake, me and my friend are going .. find out which teacher nominated you.. we knew anyway (well we bsically just asked if we could go) but you obviously werent told.. ask your school . its an amazing opportunity - a girl from our school went last year and met kofi annan.. were going to the new york-washington dc one august 11 .. woudl you consider going?
    I'm considering it...
    does it have to be my school who nominated me?
    What do I do there?

ReputationRep:
    My friend got an invitation too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering it...
    does it have to be my school who nominated me?
    What do I do there?
    they must have nominated you if you got an invite.. and its discussion, debate, tours of UN head office, current US administration (different if you go to vienna) have a look on the website to see if it gives you more info..i dont have my info with me and i cant remember off the top of my head

ReputationRep:

wow this is very cool it lokes very good in your personal statement too. Does every school select people to go to this?

ReputationRep:
    Well I got an invitation last year, I'm from Turkey btw, and it seems to be a nice opportunity. However, the fact that they are asking you to pay makes the whole thing less prestigious, I think. I decided against going and went to a proper university summer course instead at Columbia Uni in New York. I actually ran into the guys who had participated in the conference at the World Trade Center site and there were really a lot of students there.. Guess it's not regarded as a huge achievement since they tend to choose very many people from all over the world. Hope this helps...
    ________________________________ _________________________

Omer
    Prospective King's College, Cambridge student

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten letters from them for the past two years. They sent them to pretty much most of my grade at school, and a couple people went last year. They really enjoyed it, but if you want a 'serious academic environment', than you're gonna be disapointed. It's really expensive too.

(Original post by presebjeneda)
    its an amazing opportunity - a girl from our school went last year and met kofi annan
    I met Kofi Annan, too, and I didn't go to this! Granted, it was at an MUN conference. I'm such a nerd.

ReputationRep:
    wow ok..well unless ll of your year are noble prize winning geniuses then i guess the thing isnt as prestigious as id thought

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I was invited to this in the past too, lol. I'm sure it's good for some people but personally I thought that it was a lot of money for very little substance.

ReputationRep:
    You might like to look at this....

http://www.hnmun.org/2004/websys.exe?file=index.html

My uni sends people but I didn't apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    You might like to look at this....

http://www.hnmun.org/2004/websys.exe?file=index.html

My uni sends people but I didn't apply.
    So is it something like MUN?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.