Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    Neither can I, I really want to get out of school now, just totally fed up with 6th form! Get out of school and get out of Essex, go somewhere new!

ReputationRep:
    neither can I. I took a gap year to work and get a bit of cash. The job I am doing is so boring. I cant wait for uni

ReputationRep:
    yeah if i get any offers lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm going straight from school, I guess a gap year would have been good to build up money but I don't want to wait a year! I'll get a transfer from the Tesco where I work to wherever I go, hey presto - guaranteed job!

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year and I've got to the point now where I'm ready to go - but still have 6 months to go and offers to get!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peapod)
    I'm on a gap year and I've got to the point now where I'm ready to go - but still have 6 months to go and offers to get!
    I know exactly how you feel - I too am on a gap year and just cant wait to get started now!

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with you, Peapod and mjf - I too am on a gap year, which was very nice to begin with but now its appeal is starting to wear rather thin and I just wanna go to uni!

ReputationRep:
    i feel like i am ready to go NOW!!!

i will be really scared when it gets nearer the time tho! lol!!!

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt wait a year either!! i just want to get out of school.. and finish these bl**dy a levels!!!

ReputationRep:
    I want to go now too, it's just a little bit scary.

I mean, it's about the biggest lifestyle change most of us will have gone through. How can you not be apprehensive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    I can't wait!!
    Not really. I've gotten over the excitement phase with exams looming close and saying goodbye to all my friends and everyone i know in sixthform. Also the head girl has gone to America and i'm standing in, just can't seem to keep composed and collected, far better being deputy head girl to be honest. But university, after lots of tears and the stressful planning of the best year book ever -i 'll be excited again

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree. Though I am looking forward to it I do wonder about it. Like will I like the place, the subject, the people, the accomodation etc. From what I saw on the visiting day I think I will....but it's the next 3/4 years of your life so it'll be nice to get there and reassure yourself that you really do want to be there.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait until a day or two before you go, and think back to how you are feeling now. I was praying to leave around this time, but once it came to actually packing I suddenly felt about ten years old again, and so not ready to leave. But now the thought of going back home for Easter is a scary prospect!

ReputationRep:
    you get over it as you grow up.
    When I first went to uni I was absolutely up for going then the night before I nearly dropped out. My first term I was totally homesick - dating one of my flatmates and then breaking up (not recommended) didnt help and I didnt want to go back after xmas. I was miserable for the whole year and it was only my second year after a *****y summer at home that I really started to appreciate uni and enjoy it.

Going back to live at home after being free is definitely a bigger lifestyle change again not at all recommended. Once you move out of home get a decent job and stay out.

ReputationRep:
    I must say the good thing about a gap year is the lack of summer exams - if I hadn't taken it I'd have had four years in a row of summer exams! you start to associate sunshine with stress!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by androidkiller)
    I want to go now too, it's just a little bit scary.

I mean, it's about the biggest lifestyle change most of us will have gone through. How can you not be apprehensive?
    im sure i will be apprehensive the night before.. but ive been at the same school my whole life and just cant wait to get out there and meet a whole load of new people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Just wait until a day or two before you go, and think back to how you are feeling now. I was praying to leave around this time, but once it came to actually packing I suddenly felt about ten years old again, and so not ready to leave. But now the thought of going back home for Easter is a scary prospect!
    Sound advice. I was ok up until the morning i left when it hit me. Waking up and seeing the room you've lived in for the last 18 years totally empty and all your personal posessions stuffed in a few boxes is really sad. Also small things your parents do for you like ironing one of your tops of buying you some small items for uni suddenly have major significance when you realise you are not going to see them again for the next 10 weeks.

I would say the one of the hardest parts of the uni experiance was just the few hours walking around my house with nothing to do before you set of. Once you get to uni there will be plenty to do, but in the few hours before I left I felt pretty sad.

My parents probably wouldn't like it, but after less than 2 terms i now think of my room at uni as home and often feel awkward when I come back. I expect I'll survive the holidays, but it does feel very strange to forget about what has been your entire life for 10 weeks, and then suddenly come back to it.

Anyway I've rambled on enough - uni is fun, but the time spent in 6th form should be as well. Make sure you have a really great time with your friends, as in 6 months you probably won't see most of them again.

Tom

ReputationRep:
    why r u all going to uni- 4 the lifestyle or the degree or both??

ReputationRep:
    the degree

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.