The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BOD13
4th Year at Keele by the way, will be dropping by pretty frequently so if you have any queries, questions or concerns let me know

OK, I'm stuck between Southampton and Keele as my last choice. I absolutely LOVE Keele, but its PBL course bothers me a lot. I am a very traditional learner (I learn from books and other theoretical resources) and have never experienced PBL. I'm just wary of the fact that I won't like it. Any advice on how Keele uses PBL?
Reply 81
Original post by frogs r everywhere
OK, I'm stuck between Southampton and Keele as my last choice. I absolutely LOVE Keele, but its PBL course bothers me a lot. I am a very traditional learner (I learn from books and other theoretical resources) and have never experienced PBL. I'm just wary of the fact that I won't like it. Any advice on how Keele uses PBL?

Keele is not a pure PBL course, but rather a what they call 'integrated' course. The PBL case forms the spine of the week, it gives it a theme. Lets say for an example this is an MI. Apart from the 3 PBL sessions a week, there are many other mediums by which students are taught. In first year we received around 4-6 lectures a week, a histology lab class, a clinical skill lab class, a surface anatomy class and dissection session.
Secondly, if you learn from book and other resources, then a PBL course should actually suit you pretty well. The idea is to talk through the case as a group and come up with intended learning objectives (ILOs). As an individual, it is up to you to go and read around the topic, seek out your own sources and, fundamentally, understand the subject matter well enough so at the end of the week you can discuss the ILOs with the rest of your peers at the PBL meeting.

Hope that somewhat answers your question. If anything doesn't make sense please say
Reply 82
Original post by JananyS
Hey guys, well my UCAS deadline is in three days :frown: and I have not decided on my 4th Uni! ¬¬ Im thinking of one outside of London... So far either, BSMS, Nottingham, UEA, Keele, Exeter or Plymouth.. I NEED HELP. :frown: My London choices are St George's, Barts and Imperial.
If you guys could advise me about whether or not to apply Keele would be GREAT xD
So my "profile":
- GCSE 4A* and 7A's (one A* and A in short courses)
- AS: AAAA
- A2 Predictions: A*A*A* (Im scared i wont achieve them :frown:((( - What kinda conditional grades would i get??)
- UKCAT: 688
- Two work experiences (1- hospital and 1- GP) and two permanent volunteering placements.
- Hopefully a good PS.

What should I do? D:

Academics and application wise you stand a chance, but what kind of course are you looking for?
Reply 83
Original post by Topcat94
I feel the exact same way! :P I can't believe I actually submitted last year's :colondollar:

Haha, reading that made we go and find my PS and have a read. Only mild amounts of cringing occurred
Reply 84
Original post by ViceVersa
x

VV-chan!
Can you tell us more about the Keele interviews apart from what it already says on the website?
Original post by EternalDoom
VV-chan!
Can you tell us more about the Keele interviews apart from what it already says on the website?

Haven't they changed to MMIs this year? :smile:
Reply 86
VV-chan!

As Minerva McGonagall, they've changed their interview style to MMIs this year :sadnod:
Reply 87
As Minerva McGonagall, they've changed their interview style to MMIs this year :sadnod:

I expect that the core qualities they look for will remain the same, I'm not sure which kind of format I would prefer actually. I guess the advantage of the off style is that can build rapport with the interviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88

Oh so they didn't do MMI's last year?
I think almost all the universities this year are doing MMI's, not sure how to go about preparing for them to be honest. I have an idea of the basic things I need to prepare for e.g. why a doctor and not a nurse, tell me about recent NHS changes, etc, but I'm not too sure how to prepare for the scenario type questions they ask in MMIs, it's more like thinking on the spot rather than memorising perfect answers which I assume is why the universities have switched to this style.
I think almost all the universities this year are doing MMI's, not sure how to go about preparing for them to be honest. I have an idea of the basic things I need to prepare for e.g. why a doctor and not a nurse, tell me about recent NHS changes, etc, but I'm not too sure how to prepare for the scenario type questions they ask in MMIs, it's more like thinking on the spot rather than memorising perfect answers which I assume is why the universities have switched to this style.

I'm worried about scenario ones because I have no idea what to expect!
Reply 90

Original post by Minerva McGonagall
I'm worried about scenario ones because I have no idea what to expect!

They had a trial I believe, not quite sure how it worked. Certainly seems it's all MMI this year. With scenarios, don't get too worried. It's not so much a right or wrong answer, more just talking through things logically and arriving at what you deem to be a reasonable solution. I would love to see some actual numbers on this topic, but I believe that the interview is much more about your manner and thoughtfulness than churning out facts about the NHS or scientific basis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Fantastic university! Definitely applying here!
Reply 92
Original post by JoshL123
Fantastic university! Definitely applying here!

That's my guy! :five:
Reply 93
Original post by BOD13
I expect that the core qualities they look for will remain the same, I'm not sure which kind of format I would prefer actually. I guess the advantage of the off style is that can build rapport with the interviewer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I'd definitely prefer the standard interview :tongue:

No they didn't :nah:

Was Keele your first choice?
Reply 95
Original post by NutterFrutter
Was Keele your first choice?

Technically, yes. I firmed Barts but received A*AB for my results, meeting Keele's (my insurance) offer. I remarked my B and it went up to an A making my results A*AA but I chose not to inform Barts about this. :smile:
Reply 96
That's my guy! :five:

Nice medical school. Really like the way they use PBL with lectures!
Reply 97

Same!
Reply 98

Good to hear! Mind me asking at what stage you are in your academic progression?
Reply 99
How is the UKCAT use guys? I have a pretty low 620, wise for me to apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending