The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Several years ago i had to take a written test, as well as vehicle operation on city streets, motorways, and shop ctr parking lots. The written test was in Spanish [Puerto Rican version]. I'm not that familiar with Puerto Rican but i managed, even though yank is my first language. My driving inspector spoke not a word of yank or english. Not even "pass the salt". Most of the driving test course (including the motorway section), was under the approach path of Aeropuerto Internacional Luis Muñoz Marín, just outside San Juan. This meant that about every 30 seconds, something big would roar overhead, with an earsplitting racket, making it impossible to communicate with my driving inspector. Along with this, traffic was zipping by on both sides of me, as i attempted to merge into a motorway, and then transition to exit off an exit ramp on the other side of 3 lanes of traffic going significantly faster than i was. My rental car was not a Corvette! Somewhat surprisingly, he apparently figured that i could survive local traffic, as he passed me. Cheers.
I passed first time so happy!!!!! (Really thought I would fail)
Original post by Neddie001
I passed first time so happy!!!!! (Really thought I would fail)

Congrats!
Had my test today, it was pretty horrible...

2 mins in, im in a narrow estate where its 95% 20mph, a boyracer angrily overtakes me and my driving instructor informs me its 30mph. Woopsyy ok

5 mins later "Pull up next to that sign" i go about 5 ft in front of it. "No no you will have to pull forward" it was close to a junction on my right, cars behind me looking to overtake but cant because of cars wanting to pull out the junction.. do i signal and pull forward. FML i have failed miserably inside 10 minutes Anyway after about 2 minutes and melting down internally i bite the bullet, signal right and pull off.

5 mins later cars parked on my side of road, i drop from 30 to about 20 to make the narrow pass and a guy behind me toots his horn (I dont actually know if aimed at me tbh but not great lol. F that guy i passed in my own time)

Later at a roundabout, take the 2nd exit, i see one but 2 is right next to it which i miss. Im thinking 3rd exit is 2nd exit. I realise as im close to exit 2 and decide to go right around the roundabout and play it safe

Which manoeuvre do i get at the end? Of course Bay park which i complete ok

To my disbelief she tells me i passed.. only 4 minors aswell! Couldnt believe it, the junction stop left me so exposed lol

Time to purchase some sweet vanillary car fresheners :P
Original post by Betelgeuse-

2 mins in, im in a narrow estate where its 95% 20mph, a boyracer angrily overtakes me and my driving instructor informs me its 30mph. Woopsyy ok

5 mins later "Pull up next to that sign" i go about 5 ft in front of it. "No no you will have to pull forward" it was close to a junction on my right, cars behind me looking to overtake but cant because of cars wanting to pull out the junction.. do i signal and pull forward. FML i have failed miserably inside 10 minutes Anyway after about 2 minutes and melting down internally i bite the bullet, signal right and pull off.

5 mins later cars parked on my side of road, i drop from 30 to about 20 to make the narrow pass and a guy behind me toots his horn (I dont actually know if aimed at me tbh but not great lol. F that guy i passed in my own time)

Later at a roundabout, take the 2nd exit, i see one but 2 is right next to it which i miss. Im thinking 3rd exit is 2nd exit. I realise as im close to exit 2 and decide to go right around the roundabout and play it safe

To my disbelief she tells me i passed.. only 4 minors aswell! Couldnt believe it, the junction stop left me so exposed lol

Ah that's brilliant, congratulations!
Original post by Betelgeuse-

Aha congratulations man! Did you use the mirrors for the bay park? :biggrin:
Reply 6106
Original post by RoyalSheepy

This can't be a serious question.
Original post by Juno
This can't be a serious question.

I think they meant did they adjust the mirrors for the bay park
Reply 6108
Original post by cherryred90s
I think they meant did they adjust the mirrors for the bay park

Which is also a silly question, because the answer is obviously no.
Original post by Juno
Which is also a silly question, because the answer is obviously no.

How is the answer obviously no?
Passed my theory if that counts lololol
Reply 6111
How is the answer obviously no?

Because you're not going to faff about with your mirrors in everyday driving. Needing to do so is a sign of a poor teacher.
Original post by Juno
Because you're not going to faff about with your mirrors in everyday driving. Needing to do so is a sign of a poor teacher.

Everyday driving isn't the same as learning how to drive though. When you're learning, some instructors have you adjust your mirrors so you can see if you're between the lines as it's an instant fail if you're not
Reply 6113
Everyday driving isn't the same as learning how to drive though. When you're learning, some instructors have you adjust your mirrors so you can see if you're between the lines as it's an instant fail if you're not

But if you're taking your test, you're declaring you're not "learning", you're "learned". So you are self certifying that you are ready for everyday driving.

If you're not, you shouldn't be :dolphin: taking your test.
Original post by Juno
But if you're taking your test, you're declaring you're not "learning", you're "learned". So you are self certifying that you are ready for everyday driving.

If you're not, you shouldn't be :dolphin: taking your test.

Instructors tell you to drive exactly how you've been taught. So if I've been taught to adjust my mirror to double check that I'm in then that's exactly what I'll do in the test. People often fail because they change their style of driving. Why risk it if a simple adjustment can make the difference between a pass and a fail? As long as you complete it safely and successfully, why does it matter how you did it?

There are some qualified drivers who still struggle with manouveres. Perhaps they should adjust their mirrors too.
Reply 6115
Instructors tell you to drive exactly how you've been taught. So if I've been taught to adjust my mirror to double check that I'm in then that's exactly what I'll do in the test. People often fail because they change their style of driving. Why risk it if a simple adjustment can make the difference between a pass and a fail? As long as you complete it safely and successfully, why does it matter how you did it?

There are some qualified drivers who still struggle with manouveres. Perhaps they should adjust their mirrors too.

It matters because you're signalling that you can't do it adequately, which then indicates you're not ready for the test. Since the test is
the difference between driving with an instructor and driving alone, you've then indicated that you're not ready to pass.
Original post by RoyalSheepy

I sure did :biggrin: Calmly adjusted my mirrors like I knew what I was doing :biggrin: haha
Original post by Juno
It matters because you're signalling that you can't do it adequately, which then indicates you're not ready for the test. Since the test is
the difference between driving with an instructor and driving alone, you've then indicated that you're not ready to pass.

How is it inadequate to use your mirrors?

Once you've passed and you're driving alone, the car you get will still have mirrors that can be adjusted, so what difference does it make if you have someone sitting beside you or not?
Reply 6118
How is it inadequate to use your mirrors?

Once you've passed and you're driving alone, the car you get will still have mirrors that can be adjusted, so what difference does it make if you have someone sitting beside you or not?

It's not inadequate to use your mirrors correctly. You can use your mirrors to do your lipstick if you wish, but it doesn't mean you're ready to pass your test.
Yeah I'm a bit confused aswell Juno. There are no rules against how you use your mirrors!

Latest

Trending

Trending