What is the best revision guide to use for Of Mice and Men?

Watch
Haris786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi, I have my GCSE English literature exam coming up in a few weeks :O so I wanted to make sure I am thoroughly prepared as English is probably my weakest subject. We are studying Of Mice and Men currently, and I just wanted to know what revision guide is the best to use for it. There are currently many revision guides on the market e.g. York, CGP, Letts etc. so if there is anyone who has done the course and used any of these revision guides, help will be appreciated.

PS Any useful revision tips for this exam will also be appreciated

Thanks
akipid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used York Notes GCSE. It was specifically Of mice and men. It really helped me. It has examples of c grade answers to a grade answers. i use to make mind maps, lists and i did lots of exam papers.
Lehal
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeh, i done this 2 years ago now. I'm going into yr 13 in september. And don't worry about it, it's pretty easy tbh. I only read the book once, and that was when our teacher read it out to us in class and still got an A*. The only revision I remember doing was knowing what each chapter was about and knowing where good quotes were. Examinors dig good quotes, so have some decent ones pre-planned like me, (remember the page number). Btw, u still do get the book in the exams don't you? Erm, i didnt use any revision guides, but i remember of bbc bitesize i think, i read some useful stuff about of mice and men. But, yeh.. if you're bright anyway, you will easily get an A minimum. Just make sure you opening and closing paragraphs sound good, so use good words on your opening lines and semi-colons, and in your main body, just write as much as possible providing you're not repeating, try make your opening paragraphs as relevant as possible. If you're running out of ideas, kinda make up a few paragraphs and link it kinda too, (basically blag it) but it makes out u have written a lot, and examinors cba to read it all tbh, they'll jus tick it and hopefully A* !!!! That's how I did it That's how i did all my gcse's,(7A*s 2A's). But, i worked solid for A levels.
IF you are worried though and thinking im not helping.. some additional tips would be to review past exam papers online, aqa webiste... and write down the themese that have come up.. and brainstorm what u would have wrote about for that question theme, then ultimately trying to think of themes that havent been asked yet, cuz thats what of mice and men is, jus about different themes e.g. dreams, (lennies and georges, erm.. curleys wife- actor or whatever it was). i cant really help u about the content too much cus i cant remember it an awful lot :P as i said, only read it once.
I watched the film though, u can do that if u want
All the best. Get an A*
Haris786
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot, and yeah, you still are allowed to use books in the exam (I think and I hope so). I might as well just get York revision guide and CGP but does York only do A-C grades?
Starrstruck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used CGP, it was very good, had all the info there - all I had to do was memorize it and add in a few of my own ideas. For my revision, I constantly did practise under timed conditions. I wanted to get an A* so I kept bugging my teacher wth many essays to mark - it paid off in the end as I eventually got an A*.

Oh and don't forget to add in some original interpretations to quotes and just to really look further than the obvious meanings. Hope this helps.
Haris786
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starrstruck)
I used CGP, it was very good, had all the info there - all I had to do was memorize it and add in a few of my own ideas. For my revision, I constantly did practise under timed conditions. I wanted to get an A* so I kept bugging my teacher wth many essays to mark - it paid off in the end as I eventually got an A*.

Oh and don't forget to add in some original interpretations to quotes and just to really look further than the obvious meanings. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot
chloe--
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A lot of people I know swear by watching these videos: Click He does all sorts of videos for the AQA English Language and Lit exams, as well as specific things on Of Mice and Men
Haris786
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloe--)
A lot of people I know swear by watching these videos: Click He does all sorts of videos for the AQA English Language and Lit exams, as well as specific things on Of Mice and Men
Lol, I have to say, that is pretty good. Thanks
Akbar2k7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used none you have to understand the books visceral message, just read it get too grips make your own notes. I did this and got an A*.
Haris786
Rep:
?
(Original post by Akbar2k7)
I used none you have to understand the books visceral message, just read it get too grips make your own notes. I did this and got an A*.
Thanks, I have already made a few of my own notes but I just thought a revision guide might help
medigirl96
Report 8 years ago
I got full marks in my Of Mice and Men exam and used no revision guide. I used Spark Notes which was really good and did some research on the internet. Understand the book fully. You don't really need a revision guide the internet has so many resources that should suffice.
Lauren___e
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by akipid)
I used York Notes GCSE. It was specifically Of mice and men. It really helped me. It has examples of c grade answers to a grade answers. i use to make mind maps, lists and i did lots of exam papers.
I agree, I used York notes as well for my OMAM exam (and controlled assessment) and it really helped. Obviously you need to know the book well also but this was good as a back up & it said things I hadn't thought of that we hadn't mentioned in class.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Haris786
Rep:
?
Thanks
akipid
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Haris786)
Thanks a lot, and yeah, you still are allowed to use books in the exam (I think and I hope so). I might as well just get York revision guide and CGP but does York only do A-C grades?
The grade question just show you how you can get better marks thats all. I can't remember everything thats in there, but it was really good.
svejkfan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't buy! Get online, type in
brithday
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can someone help me with the notes of mice and men need help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads