Would I be able to get into Oxbridge/ UCL/ Warwick with these GCSEs?

Watch this thread
GB6991
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi guys, I got my results the other day and although they aren't exceptional, they aren't dreadful either and am quite pleased with them to say the least. I got grades: AAAAAABCC and am considering re-sitting the Maths (grade B currently) to get an A and make it AAAAAAACC. Are these grades good enough for Oxbridge/ Warwick/ UCL bearing in mind I'm going to work very hard in AS and aim for all As/A*s?

P.S: I want to study Law or PPE or Social and Political Sciences or Geography.

For A-Level, I'm taking History, Geography, Economics and English Language.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Flyteryder
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
Oxford really want A-Level maths for PPE, which you will struggle with immensely with a B at GCSE. None of the universities you mentioned like GCSE resits.
GB6991
Rep:
Right, that's not promising. So, basically I can't get into any of those Universities with my GCSE grades?
GB6991
Rep:
Do you reckon I could still try Universities like Durham, Bath, Bristol, Exeter etc? Because I really want to go to a top 10 university. Is Warwick "all that" or is it a bit more lenient than Oxbridge etc?
Flyteryder
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GB6991)
Do you reckon I could still try Universities like Durham, Bath, Bristol, Exeter etc? Because I really want to go to a top 10 university. Is Warwick "all that" or is it a bit more lenient than Oxbridge etc?
Yes, you could definitely get into those. Warwick is a bit more lenient than Oxbridge just because they're not Oxbridge, but there is still a lot of competition. I think you could definitely get into Durham, Bath, Bristol, Exeter, Warwick, etc
GB6991
Rep:
Thank you for that reassurance, I was almost in tears (sigh). If I don't get into Warwick at least, I know my parents will be disappointed...
Tateco
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by crc290)
Probably not. You don't have a single A*. Oxbridge in particular are very insistent that you should have about 5.

There are other universities out there! Oxbridge/UCL etc. aren't the be all and end all
That is completely untrue, I'd love it if you could prove me wrong and show me some solid evidence for that claim.

GCSEs are just one part of your university application. If you have exceptional AS levels (at least AAAA) and get solid predictions then you will have a very good chance for a slightly less popular course like Geography, even at Oxbridge and UCL. However, you may struggle to get offers from those universities if you opt for very competitive courses like Law, Economics and Medicine.

I would recommend taking a science or english literature instead of english language if you did want to try for the more competitive courses at top 10 universities, as that might give you a better chance. Work hard to give yourself the best chance and good luck!
crc290
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Do you mean top 10 in terms of the university as a whole or top 10 for your subject? For law, Warwick comes 16th according to the Complete University Guide, Bristol comes 12th and Exeter comes 19th. You shouldn't go to a university just because of its prestige, you should go based on the merits of the department you will be studying in. Nottingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde all have fantastic law departments, but wouldn't be considered "top 10" as universities. Going to a prestigious university doesn't necessarily guarantee you a good degree or better graduate prospects, so don't let it cloud your judgement.
Tateco
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Thank you for that reassurance, I was almost in tears (sigh). If I don't get into Warwick at least, I know my parents will be disappointed...
Warwick is in the top 6 universities in the country, and getting into one of those for a competitive course is challenging even for those with very good grades. It is good to have such high aspirations but there are lots of very good universities out there.
Tateco
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Do you mean top 10 in terms of the university as a whole or top 10 for your subject? For law, Warwick comes 16th according to the Complete University Guide, Bristol comes 12th and Exeter comes 19th. You shouldn't go to a university just because of its prestige, you should go based on the merits of the department you will be studying in. Nottingham, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Strathclyde all have fantastic law departments, but wouldn't be considered "top 10" as universities. Going to a prestigious university doesn't necessarily guarantee you a good degree or better graduate prospects, so don't let it cloud your judgement.
I would argue that a law degree from Warwick would stand you in better stead in the general job market than a similar degree from Strathclyde...
GB6991
Rep:
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all this info and input! The only problem is the fact that I haven't taken Maths and/ or a Science for A-Level, which I've been told is a no-no? There's a lot of conflicting information out there about this kind of stuff.
With regard to prestige, I know that it's wrong to base my application(s) purely based on ratings, but my parents (who are VERY strict and involved in my studies and school matters) are very insistent that I should apply to a top 10 Uni and do something "prestigious" (i.e. Law and/ or PPE, Economics is out of the picture without Maths).
GB6991
Rep:
P.S: Say I get AAAA or better at AS and apply for something (I believe isn't that popular at Cambridge) like Human, Social and Political Sciences, would I stand a higher chance?
f1mad
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
If you get 90%+ UMS average in your AS levels, your GCSE's won't have that much of a detrimental effect - concentrate on that. Having said that, Oxford is the only University listed there that focuses solely on GCSE's a whole lot more than the others; on the other hand, Cambridge concentrates on your AS level UMS scores.
crc290
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tateco)
That is completely untrue, I'd love it if you could prove me wrong and show me some solid evidence for that claim.
Fine, they aren't insistent that you must achieve those grades, but the average Oxbridge applicant holds between 4 and 8 A* grades at GCSE. Just look here and here, every single person on both lists have or claims to have at least 1A*. The OP has none, so its realistic to assume that his chances of getting in to Oxbridge based on the current standard is low.
crc290
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all this info and input! The only problem is the fact that I haven't taken Maths and/ or a Science for A-Level, which I've been told is a no-no? There's a lot of conflicting information out there about this kind of stuff.
With regard to prestige, I know that it's wrong to base my application(s) purely based on ratings, but my parents (who are VERY strict and involved in my studies and school matters) are very insistent that I should apply to a top 10 Uni and do something "prestigious" (i.e. Law and/ or PPE, Economics is out of the picture without Maths).
Is that what you want to do?
username1002982
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I thought Durham was really strict on GCSE's? Don't they like lots of A*s?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
GB6991
Rep:
I desperately want to be an Investment Banker/ Stockbroker and obviously, an Economics degree from a prestigious institute is favoured (but as I pointed out, I can't do Economics at University without A-Level Maths). Having said that, yes I'd like to study any of the aforementioned courses at a top Uni.
f1mad
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
I desperately want to be an Investment Banker/ Stockbroker and obviously, an Economics degree from a prestigious institute is favoured (but as I pointed out, I can't do Economics at University without A-Level Maths). Having said that, yes I'd like to study any of the aforementioned courses at a top Uni.
No, an economics degree is not favoured.

I know of people who graduated with a degree in Geography from Oxford, working in IB's.
GB6991
Rep:
Is that what you want to do?
Pretty much, yes.
Tateco
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Fine, they aren't insistent that you must achieve those grades, but the average Oxbridge applicant holds between 4 and 8 A* grades at GCSE. Just look here and here, every single person on both lists have or claims to have at least 1A*. The OP has none, so its realistic to assume that his chances of getting in to Oxbridge based on the current standard is low.
I wasn't disputing the fact that the average successful applicant has 5 A*s at GCSE, I was disputing your argument which was they are insistent that applicants have those grades, you don't have to educate me on possibilities, just don't make up "facts" and scaremonger people asking honest questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (101)
68.24%
No (31)
20.95%
I didn't use it to prepare (16)
10.81%

Watched Threads