Turn on thread page Beta

How to get rid of periods ENTIRELY? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Sellotaping my vagina sounds like the way forward, industrial strength duct tape might be better though .

Seriously though, what kind of hormone therapy, like Oestrogen blockers? I'll have to find out if my GP can prescribe something like that but I doubt it, I'd probably need the supervision of an endocrinologist if I start messing about with my hormone levels. Maybe I could get a referral.
    I'll be honest, I'm not an expert so I don't know. Any kind of chemically induced menopause is usually considered a side-effect rather than the aim of treatment. Perhaps there is a hormone or drug which can be administered to prevent your ovaries producing oestrogen, I don't know. I'm pretty sure, though, that neither the treatments themselves nor the side-effects of stopping your periods will be very pleasant. You can develop osteoporosis and heart disease, and, to be frank, it doesn't sound nearly worth the risks.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity are you a lesbian?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't have periods I'd feel :lolwut:
    I don't know, all I can think of are contraceptive methods. See your GP?

ReputationRep:
    OP, lots of women use hormonal medication for reasons other then their contraceptive properties. For example the mirena coil can be used to treat heavy bleeding, endometriosis and post-menopausal bleeding. If you're not sexually active or planning to be sexually active, then the fact that they also act as a contraceptive is irrelevant.

IMO no doctor worth his salt is going to remove a healthy uterus simply because you don't want to have periods. Sounds a little like Body Integrity Identity Disorder to me, even :/ So don't get your hopes up for a hysterectomy.

The Mirena coil can substantially reduce and sometimes completely stop your periods, so that might be something worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    OP I'm confused, why do something that you might regret for the rest of your life in order to avoid just a few days of discomfort every month? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PopDaRouge)
    OP I'm confused, why do something that you might regret for the rest of your life in order to avoid just a few days of discomfort every month? :lolwut:
    Why would she regret it? She doesn't sleep with men, she doesn't want kids, she doesn't want contraceptives and doesn't want periods, so this is one solution. I don't see where the regret comes in? And as a guy you don't experience periods, therefore you can't just say 'a few days of discomfort'. She has already said it's not about the pain.

ReputationRep:
    Look into the time vortex and age 50 years

ReputationRep:
    im so academic is that you?

ReputationRep:
    I would think very seriously before you do anything along the lines of a hysterectomy/getting your ovaries removed. You say now that you've never wanted children, hate the idea of it etc but you're still only 23. I don't think you can say for certain that you're still going to feel this way in 10-15 years. You also say you've never wanted to sleep with a man, but again you never know, you might meet someone who changes your mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    Why would she regret it? She doesn't sleep with men, she doesn't want kids, she doesn't want contraceptives and doesn't want periods, so this is one solution. I don't see where the regret comes in? And as a guy you don't experience periods, therefore you can't just say 'a few days of discomfort'. She has already said it's not about the pain.
    Ok, i cant comment on period pains, but i can comment on regret, just because she doesn't do those things NOW, doesn't mean she might not want to do those things in the future, especially at the young age of 23. Its a big decision to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    I would think very seriously before you do anything along the lines of a hysterectomy/getting your ovaries removed. You say now that you've never wanted children, hate the idea of it etc but you're still only 23. I don't think you can say for certain that you're still going to feel this way in 10-15 years. You also say you've never wanted to sleep with a man, but again you never know, you might meet someone who changes your mind.
    Did you just tell someone that may be a lesbian for all you know, that they maybe haven't met the right man yet? Dear God.

And yes, I am not the OP, I am 21 not 23, but I can tell you now, with 100% certainty that I will never have kids. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but it is so patronising to people like the OP and me who don't want kids, to be told 'Oh, you'll change your mind'. You should look up CFC (Childfree by Choice), there are whole communities of ladies out there who know they will never have children. And it upsets me that I will have to fight against people's prejudices, probably all the way up until I'm late 40s.

(Original post by PopDaRouge)
    Ok, i cant comment on period pains, but i can comment on regret, just because she doesn't do those things NOW, doesn't mean she might not want to do those things in the future, especially at the young age of 23. Its a big decision to make.
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want contraceptives because:

1) The sides effects - breast growth & weight gain. I don't want breast growth at all and weight gain is not something I want either. Also, the increased risk of acne - I had severe acne as a teenager and had to take roaccutane for it - I'm don't want to experience that again. But the main reason is breast growth - I don't care how slim the possibility is, if it's a possible side effect of a medication then I will not take that medication.

2) There is zero chance of me ever becoming pregnant - I don't need a contraceptive - I just need something that stops periods, not something that was designed to stop pregnancy.

I take a combined pill which is different to the ones my friends were prescribed.

Like you I didn't want the side effects of weight gain or acne, and when I read the side effects of mine it did not mention breast growth (not that I couldn't use a bit of that one!). Although it doesn't completely stop my period it is a LOT lighter and lasts half as long, and I quite regularly put 2 or 3 packs together so I can go a few months without having one. Also as it is a contraceptive it is free on te NHS with no prescription charges.

Of course you state that you don't want a contraceptive but if you use it for a different reason does it really matter what it's purpose is? I started taking it long before I became sexually active. Also although it won't completely stop your periods it may be worth taking until you've saved up to have your ovaries removed!

ReputationRep:
    How the **** can people say they hate injections yet an implant is perfectly fine? -.- rant over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    I'll be honest, I'm not an expert so I don't know. Any kind of chemically induced menopause is usually considered a side-effect rather than the aim of treatment. Perhaps there is a hormone or drug which can be administered to prevent your ovaries producing oestrogen, I don't know. I'm pretty sure, though, that neither the treatments themselves nor the side-effects of stopping your periods will be very pleasant. You can develop osteoporosis and heart disease, and, to be frank, it doesn't sound nearly worth the risks.
    This. Although periods aren't pleasant, and you have made it clear that you don't want children etc, completely stopping them can really cause health problems. Which, at 23, I don't think is worth the risk

I know you don't want to take a contraceptive but it's safer for you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want contraceptives because:

1) The sides effects - breast growth & weight gain. I don't want breast growth at all and weight gain is not something I want either. Also, the increased risk of acne - I had severe acne as a teenager and had to take roaccutane for it - I'm don't want to experience that again. But the main reason is breast growth - I don't care how slim the possibility is, if it's a possible side effect of a medication then I will not take that medication.

2) There is zero chance of me ever becoming pregnant - I don't need a contraceptive - I just need something that stops periods, not something that was designed to stop pregnancy.
    I know you say you don't want a contraceptive BUT I have the depo injection once every 3 months and I have not had a period in the past 10 years. Effective and all it takes is one visit every 3 months to family planning.

I am sure there are side effects but I have not had any.

ReputationRep:
    The only other way I know of to stop periods without having your ovaries removed is injections from the doctor to stop them completely. I don't know what's in them, or what they do exactly, but one of my friends has a daughter with severe learning difficulties who wouldn't be able to cope with having periods every month, so she's been having these injections every 3 months for years. They may be reluctant to prescribe them though, I think they aren't compatible with everyone and may only be used for health and well-being reasons.

EDIT: The poster above just mentioned the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flown_muse)
    Did you just tell someone that may be a lesbian for all you know, that they maybe haven't met the right man yet? Dear God.

And yes, I am not the OP, I am 21 not 23, but I can tell you now, with 100% certainty that I will never have kids. I'm sure you didn't mean to, but it is so patronising to people like the OP and me who don't want kids, to be told 'Oh, you'll change your mind'. You should look up CFC (Childfree by Choice), there are whole communities of ladies out there who know they will never have children. And it upsets me that I will have to fight against people's prejudices, probably all the way up until I'm late 40s.

See above.
    I know that you know your own mind better than any one else but your are 21 and in 10 or 20 years time you may feel different. It is possible. I do not want children at the moment but I am open to the idea when I am older.

My friend was very anti children and very career focused and a bit 'boyish' in her likes and personality. She is the very last person I ever imagined having a baby. Last year she told everyone that she was pregnant and that she was only having a baby because her husbond had been begging her for a baby for years. So she had the baby and her husbond became a stay at home Dad while she still persued a career. But what I was more shocked at was after the baby was born she became all maternal. It was very odd and very unlike her. But she is happy and glad she did it. Don't think she would ever become a stay at home Mum though! lol!

Now I know this is just my friend and I can not make a gross generalisation and say you will be the same. But what I am trying to say is that you have a very long life ahead of you and you don't know what may happen. You may want a child further on down the line, and you also may not. You don't need to make a decision now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoe_bartlett)
    I know that you know your own mind better than any one else but your are 21 and in 10 or 20 years time you may feel different. It is possible. I do not want children at the moment but I am open to the idea when I am older.

My friend was very anti children and very career focused and a bit 'boyish' in her likes and personality. She is the very last person I ever imagined having a baby. Last year she told everyone that she was pregnant and that she was only having a baby because her husbond had been begging her for a baby for years. So she had the baby and her husbond became a stay at home Dad while she still persued a career. But what I was more shocked at was after the baby was born she became all maternal. It was very odd and very unlike her. But she is happy and glad she did it. Don't think she would ever become a stay at home Mum though! lol!

Now I know this is just my friend and I can not make a gross generalisation and say you will be the same. But what I am trying to say is that you have a very long life ahead of you and you don't know what may happen. You may want a child further on down the line, and you also may not. You don't need to make a decision now.
    Yes, but like I said above, my mind is made up. My decision has been made. I have discussed it on other threads before, and I will not be changing my mind. If I got pregnant somehow, even through my careful use of contraceptives, then I would get an abortion. It is non negotiable, and I will never have children.
    Like I said before, it is very annoying when people patronise you and try and say you don't know your own mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoe_bartlett)

What an unbelievably patronising post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    What an unbelievably patronising post.
    Oh my friend, you have returned :daydreaming:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2018
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.