The Student Room Group

UEA (Norwich) Medicine Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by EternalDoom
It still doesn't give enough information on how they short-list candidates for interview, e.g. how much emphasis is placed on each of GCSE, A-levels, UKCAT, PS, references, interview....and which is the most important, I mean as far as I can assume from their website, they look at everything equally, is this right?

The process is in two parts; the application and the interview.

Everyones application is ranked based on their application (UKCAT, GCSE's, A-levels etc) and then the top X number of candidates are offered interviews. Offers are then made based on interview scores.

Obviously the better your academics, UKCAT & PS are the better your chances of getting an interview.
I spoke to the admissions at an open day and she told me 7A* GCSE (I have 4 A* and 6 As) to even be considered. But when we visited everyone seemed quite normal and didnt necessarily have those requirements. I spotted her there as well so she definitely exists!! :confused: I like the fact they focus more on Biology too, which makes more sense to me?

So I am not sure if I will apply here now??. I did like it and I spoke to one of the tutors and they were really friendly.

The problem is what the brochures say and what happens in reality are two different things!
Reply 22
The office have been getting a lot of enquiries regarding the resit policy so just to clarify for anyone who's wondering...

You can only apply to the course if your A-levels have been completed within a 2 year period. Module resits are acceptable but these also have to be taken within the 2 years. Anyone completing module resits outside of the initial 2 years will not be eligible to apply.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by UEAMedic
The office have been getting a lot of enquiries regarding the resit policy so just to clarify for anyone who's wondering...

You can only apply to the course if your A-levels have been completed within a 2 year period. Module resits are acceptable but these also have to be taken within the 2 years. Anyone resitting a year (i.e. A levels taking 3 years) or completing module resits outside of the initial 2 years will not be eligible to apply.

I just realised....your part of the UEA admissions? :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by EternalDoom
I just realised....your part of the UEA admissions? :tongue:

Nope, final year medical student actually.
Reply 25
Nope, final year medical student actually.

Ahhh okay!
I phoned the admissions department today , and they said if you are re-sitting a B to get an A you need to be predicted an A*.

You are allowed to re-sit.

You can only apply to the course if your A-levels have been completed within a 2 year period. Module resits are acceptable but these also have to be taken within the 2 years. Anyone resitting a year (i.e. A levels taking 3 years) or completing module resits outside of the initial 2 years will not be eligible to apply.

I thought it was this ...

Original post by medicine gapper
I phoned the admissions department today , and they said if you are re-sitting a B to get an A you need to be predicted an A*.

You are allowed to re-sit.

That's what their website says as well ...
Reply 28
Original post by joker12345
I thought it was this ...

That's what their website says as well ...

Sorry that was my mistake, it should just read "Anyone completing module resits outside of the initial 2 years will not be eligible to apply"

If you're completely resitting subjects then you can apply as long as your initial grades were BBB. If you're resitting one subject you'd have to be predicted an A*, two subjects A*A, three subjects A*AA.

Sorry for the confusion!
Are there GCSE requirements for this school? And how much weight is put on GCSEs if anyone knows?

Many thanks!
Original post by lordmackery
Are there GCSE requirements for this school? And how much weight is put on GCSEs if anyone knows?

Many thanks!

Unfortunately, no ones really seems to know what they use. They take a holistic approach so GCSE's will be looked at, but along with everything else, so they're not the be all and end all.
The process is in two parts; the application and the interview.

Everyones application is ranked based on their application (UKCAT, GCSE's, A-levels etc) and then the top X number of candidates are offered interviews. .

May I ask if a ukcat score of 575 is too low to be considered for interview if the rest of my application is strong?

On their website: We have not set a minimum cut-off score for the UKCAT test. We will consider scores from the test within the academic screening processes in the School. Whilst a high UKCAT score could be advantageous a low score will not automatically disqualify a candidate from consideration. If the rest of the application is strong then the applicant could still be short-listed for interview with a lower UKCAT test score.

But what is too low? :K:
Reply 32
How is ukcat used? I have a low 620?
Original post by Tan Theta
How is ukcat used? I have a low 620?

I thought I heard that the cutoff was 625 average but don't quote me... Im definitely not sure.
Hi! I got my as results BBB ( human bio, chemistry and maths), I'm waiting for my ukcat testing date and I don't know about my a2 predictions. Do I have any chance of getting into UEA medical school? what about the 6 years medicine course? I've got gcse and other qualifications similar to a levels ( physical education, phylosophy, geology, physics and more) from abroad. Help and advice please!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Sorry that was my mistake, it should just read "Anyone completing module resits outside of the initial 2 years will not be eligible to apply"

If you're completely resitting subjects then you can apply as long as your initial grades were BBB. If you're resitting one subject you'd have to be predicted an A*, two subjects A*A, three subjects A*AA.

Sorry for the confusion!

If you are a medic you must know something in order to help me... Please read about my situation above.

Reply 36
Original post by OneGirlInAmillion
Hi! I got my as results BBB ( human bio, chemistry and maths), I'm waiting for my ukcat testing date and I don't know about my a2 predictions. Do I have any chance of getting into UEA medical school? what about the 6 years medicine course? I've got gcse and other qualifications similar to a levels ( physical education, phylosophy, geology, physics and more) from abroad. Help and advice please!!!

You'll have to find out what your predicted A2 levels are to see if you'll be able to apply - it'll need to be AAA. Obviously you'll need to have sat the UKCAT before you apply. As long as you have a minimum of 6 GCSE's at grade A (including, maths, English & Science) then you can apply.

The A104 course has specific social criteria that need to be met in order to apply. If you're academics meet the minimum entry criteria for A100 then you won't be considered.

There's no way really of telling what your chances are without realistic A2 predictions and a UKCAT result.
Reply 37
Original post by lordmackery
I thought I heard that the cutoff was 625 average but don't quote me... Im definitely not sure.

There is no UKCAT cut-off score.

I will repeat that the better your academics and the higher your UKCAT then the more likely you are to be offered an interview.

Saying that...

If you have an absolutely brilliant UKCAT score but you only just meet the minimum entry criteria (6 GCSE's at grade A, predicted A2 AAA) then you are JUST AS LIKELY to be offered an interview as someone who has a relatively low UKCAT score but has more than 6 GCSE's at grade A or higher and are predicted better than AAA at A2.

The whole point is to give the widest range of people an opportunity to apply and be considered but like I've already said, the better your UKCAT and the better your academics, the better chance you have of making interview.
If I got predicted A* Biology(my strong subject) predicted and AA in Chemistry and Maths . BUT ended up actual results A* Biology AB and did really well in all other interview areas Would I still get in or would I get rejected?

What I am asking is do students who shine ever get in on less than AAA to medicine?

I know its stupid question but I had to ask! I suppose I would really like to ask this of all the universities but as I am on this page have asked.

Thank you
Reply 39
There is no UKCAT cut-off score.

I will repeat that the better your academics and the higher your UKCAT then the more likely you are to be offered an interview.

Saying that...

If you have an absolutely brilliant UKCAT score but you only just meet the minimum entry criteria (6 GCSE's at grade A, predicted A2 AAA) then you are JUST AS LIKELY to be offered an interview as someone who has a relatively low UKCAT score but has more than 6 GCSE's at grade A or higher and are predicted better than AAA at A2.

The whole point is to give the widest range of people an opportunity to apply and be considered but like I've already said, the better your UKCAT and the better your academics, the better chance you have of making interview.

I have 7 A*'s 2A's, and AAA at A-level. 620 ukcat, wise to apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending