The Student Room Group

2 marks off in GCSE R.E, worth a re-mark?

I was 2 marks off an A* in GCSE R.E and I was just wondering whether it is worth putting both my papers in for re-marking?
41/48 B601
43/48 B604 both OCR
This was to be my only A* and I can't tell you how hard I worked for it, im really gutted! After both of the exams I felt I had got at least 43/48 on both papers therefore doing enough for an A*. (I got 178/200 and I needed 180)
I genuinely think the examiner has been a bit stingy on the marks, what do you think I should do?:confused:
If you are confident that Mark will only go up then I would say yes!!! But if you're unsure, don't as you might lose that A too which would be tragic :frown:

However, as you were only 2 Marks away it is unlikely that you will lose your grade and the probability is it will go up and the remark examiner will manage to squeeze one more Mark from somewhere!!

Another thing is what does your school say? Will you pay? Doe stour RE teacher agree it is wrong? If you decide you do want a remark I would say talk to your teacher asap and get you put in for one.

Remarks where a totally different examiner marks it is approx £30 but just for someone to clergically check it for something like an examiner forgetting to Mark a page, adding up the totals is only £10 approx.

So depends how much you are wiling to risk as well (obviously if school is paying go for the whole remark) and if there is a difference in marks you get a refun anyway.

Have a good think, see if this A* will be worth all this hassle and then go and apply asap.

Personally I think yes as I know how annoying 2 UMS Marks are!!! And plus you've worked so hard and i know how disappointin it can feel to yourself ...

Good luck :smile:

This was posted from TheLightbulbKid - voicing an opinion and attempting to give advice :smile: on the iPad/iPod app
No.
You got an A - that's brilliant. If you were on the C/D grade boundary, I'd say go for it because that's pass/fail - but you're on the A/A* grade boundary, and, quite frankly, no employer gives a damn about whether you got an an asterisk after your A in GCSE R.E. or not. It's not worth the time, effort or money in trying to push your marks up any higher.
Some people are two marks above a grade boundary, some people are two marks below a grade boundary. That's the way it works, and some of us are misfortunate enough to fall into the latter category, but we just have to deal with it and accept that :redface:
Reply 3
Hey guys, got A*A*AAAAAAABBBB (2A*'s, 7A's, 4B's)

I'm kinda happy with results but I got a B in Chemistry, and Dentistry which is what I want to do require an A in it. I was only 2-3 raw marks off an A. Is it worth the re-mark?

Also in English Language I was 1 raw mark off an A so is that worth the re-mark? I was also thinking because of the controversy over the English Language grade boundaries change and harsh marking? Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
Reply 4
Original post by Whangdoodle
No.
You got an A - that's brilliant. If you were on the C/D grade boundary, I'd say go for it because that's pass/fail - but you're on the A/A* grade boundary, and, quite frankly, no employer gives a damn about whether you got an an asterisk after your A in GCSE R.E. or not. It's not worth the time, effort or money in trying to push your marks up any higher.
Some people are two marks above a grade boundary, some people are two marks below a grade boundary. That's the way it works, and some of us are misfortunate enough to fall into the latter category, but we just have to deal with it and accept that :redface:

Don't listen to this guy^^^^^^^.

I'm in a quite similar position as I'm 3UMS (177/200) away from A* in OCR R.S (which equates to 2 raw marks) and I'm definitely getting a remark, whether I pay for it or not. The top universities (although some don't admit it) would like to see a fair amount of A*'s in GCSEs so it is worth a remark.
Original post by SSlouise
I was 2 marks off an A* in GCSE R.E and I was just wondering whether it is worth putting both my papers in for re-marking?
41/48 B601
43/48 B604 both OCR
This was to be my only A* and I can't tell you how hard I worked for it, im really gutted! After both of the exams I felt I had got at least 43/48 on both papers therefore doing enough for an A*. (I got 178/200 and I needed 180)
I genuinely think the examiner has been a bit stingy on the marks, what do you think I should do?:confused:

If it was your only chance of an A* then to be honest, personally, I wouldn't bother. I don't know what other grades you got, but i'm sure universities / colleges wouldn't change their offers or whatever if your A in RS increased to an A*, they're both good grades. Out of interest, what were your other results? What do you want to do in the next few years, in terms of education?
Reply 6
Original post by SSlouise
41/48 B601
43/48 B604 both OCR

I'm in a similar situation to you. I have 1 UMS, which is less than a mark, off an A*. And I think you should get it remarked. I mean, I will. You don't have much to lose. Your grade mostly likely can't go lower, but may go higher. And the fact that there are loads of uprise about the stingy marking, and people getting bad grades at GCSE this year, the remarking most probably would help and the examiners show some mercy :smile:

Goodluck.
Reply 7
Original post by OllieGCSEs
If it was your only chance of an A* then to be honest, personally, I wouldn't bother. I don't know what other grades you got, but i'm sure universities / colleges wouldn't change their offers or whatever if your A in RS increased to an A*, they're both good grades. Out of interest, what were your other results? What do you want to do in the next few years, in terms of education?

My grades where maths C, science CBB, english language B, english literature A, french B, humanities C, geography A, the A in r.e, BTEC L2 diploma in public services 4x A and ict A. I plan on doing r.s, geography, english literature and business studies at A-level and then i'll decide in the next year whether to go to university (York or Leeds) to, I think, become a teacher or join the navy which I planned to do in the first place:smile:

If I have enough spare time i'll probably re-sit maths on a higher paper to get a B, I got given the chance in school once I passed in november last year but in all fairness it's my weakest subject and it bores me hahaha:smile:
Reply 8
You might already know this but just in case you don't, to get your paper remarked per unit is;

£33.65 if your exam board is AQA
£23.20 if your exam board is Edexcel
£37.10 if your exam board is OCR

- however if your mark goes up you don't have to pay.

To get an A is brilliant anyway, but if you don't mind paying then it's probably worth having a remark, otherwise you might regret it.

I got a B, three marks off an A and I'm getting it remarked..so this is probably a little biased.
Reply 9
Original post by mimmo

£33.65 if your exam board is AQA
£23.20 if your exam board is Edexcel
£37.10 if your exam board is OCR

Woah, £37 is really expensive! Fingers crossed my school will pay, my teacher is the head of department so hopefully she'll sympathise and agree to a re-mark, she really wanted me to get the A* too ahaha:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest