The Student Room Group

Structural Isomers

How can I work out the possiblities? Is there some sort of formula.

How would I go about working out how different structural isomers can be formed when chlorine reacts with dodecane to form C12H25Cl ??

As this question is 1 mark, I'm thinking there must be a quick way of doing it, but I can't see how.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 1
Matt_2K
How can I work out the possiblities? Is there some sort of formula.

How would I go about working out how different structural isomers can be formed when chlorine reacts with dodecane to form C12H25Cl ??

As this question is 1 mark, I'm thinking there must be a quick way of doing it, but I can't see how.

Thanks for your help.

if you just think about a straight chain alkane it can add in a number of places = number of carbons/2 as once it goes past the middle it's the same as a previous isomer, draw a few and see
Reply 2
So C12H25Cl has 6 structural isomers?
Reply 3
7, i'd guess - it can go on the end as well
Reply 4
cobra
if you just think about a straight chain alkane it can add in a number of places = number of carbons/2 as once it goes past the middle it's the same as a previous isomer, draw a few and see

This is only applicable for alkanes containing an even number of carbons.
Reply 5
w w w . c h e m g u i d e . c o . u k might help
there is no formula for working out the number of possible isomers for a specific molecular formula
nonane has 35 and decane has 75 structural isomers. These numbers spiral out of control so that eicosane with 20 carbons has 366,319 isomers.
I don't have information on the actual of number for dodecane but it will be in the hundreds.
All of this is without considering the additional isomers when a chlorine atom (or chlorine atoms) is/are to be located on the molecule.
The only possible answer is that you are being asked for the number of monochloro isomers on the straight chain n-dodecane in which case there are 6 as the molecule is symmetrical and
carbon no. 1 = carbon no 12,
carbon no. 2 = carbon no 11,
carbon no. 3 = carbon no. 10,
carbon no. 4 = carbon no. 9,
carbon no. 5 = carbon no. 8,
carbon no. 6 = carbon no. 7.
Arthur Caley was a mathmatician who tried to derive a formula for such a question ,while his work was disproved by modern computors, it is still useful and mostly correct from what I can gather.

first determine how many isomers this "n" alkane has. For any alkane CnH(n+2), where "n" is any integer between 1 and 20, the following sequence represents the number of isomers possible: 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 18, 35, 75, 159, 355, 802, 1858, 4347, 10359, 24894, 60523, 148284, 366319. In the case of pentane--which has five carbons and therefore represented by the fifth integer of the sequence--the answer is three.
The answer to your exam question is just 6, but as Charco points out this is far from all the structural isomers of chlorododecane!

Quick Reply

Latest