Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at going to Nottingham or Leeds this year, and whichever 1 I go to, there'll be mates of mine going there too. Anyone gone to uni with this? Is it an advantage to hang onto old ties or should I be looking to branch out more?

ReputationRep:
    Wherever I go next year I'll have an old friend. I just plan to steer clear of them for the first couple of weeks (something we've agreed on) so we can make our own friends but then after that, and if you feel homesick I think it's a bonus - I'd really like to end up living with my old friend, it's just those first couple of weeks which are crucial.

ReputationRep:
    there are two of us from my 6th form doing the same course. we dont really see it as a problem too much,

just apply to be in different halls and that way you'll have your own friends.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    its definitely a reassuring thing, and maybe organise to meet up once a week or sumthing. Don't get bogged down hanging aorund with old mates all the time though.

ReputationRep:
    itll be reassuring to have them there..but make a pact to not see ach other or avoid each other.. its more difficult for new people to approach you if youre surrounding by your old friends looking at ease, whereas if you look slightyl lost and eager to meet new people like everyone else then youll be more likely to get the best of both worlds - security and new friends... plus peopel change so much at uni it would be a shame to bank on your ol friends only to fall out within the first term

ReputationRep:
    3 of my friends (2 of them were a couple as well!!) ended up in the same building last year for halls at UWE. They were each in different flats so made friends with their flat but next year are all moving in together with a couple others from flats. I don't think it was a bad thing at all. Nobody said you have to sever ties with your previous life just cos you're at uni!!

I don't know anyone going to Kings College in September but I will know a couple at other unis in London, including my bf who's already there. I thinik I'll find it hard to 'avoid them' !! but I will try to make friends with flat/course mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Geezer)
    I'm looking at going to Nottingham or Leeds this year, and whichever 1 I go to, there'll be mates of mine going there too. Anyone gone to uni with this? Is it an advantage to hang onto old ties or should I be looking to branch out more?
    I want a fresh start when i go to university, but saying that i don't have any close friends anymore Oh well

ReputationRep:
    Where I'm going (London) I'll have friends at the other colleges (Imperial and Royal Vet) but no one actually going to UCL. That means I have a safety net if I really don't get on with anyone in my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Where I'm going (London) I'll have friends at the other colleges (Imperial and Royal Vet) but no one actually going to UCL. THat means I have a safety net if I really don't get on with anyone in my course.
    Same for me, few mates at imperial and kings, but no one at LSE , good scenario i think

ReputationRep:
    my sis is in imperial and if i go to ucl, that would be super uncool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    my sis is in imperial and if i go to ucl, that would be super uncool
    Ah the pressure's on then is it? If I know chinese people, you'll try and do better than your sister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Ah the pressure's on then is it? If I know chinese people, you'll try and do better than your sister.
    The Chinese Economics Club: Mysticmin, TheWolf and deianra. :rolleyes: *coughs*

It's actually terrible. By the end of the year, I'll be a nervous wreck because Wolfie is trying to steal my university places. They're mine, dammit!!

Oki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    The Chinese Economics Club: Mysticmin, TheWolf and deianra. :rolleyes: *coughs*

It's actually terrible. By the end of the year, I'll be a nervous wreck because Wolfie is trying to steal my university places. They're mine, dammit!!

Oki
    LOL, you'll both get them! I'll still be on here so you must inform me of how brilliantly you both do.

ReputationRep:
    There's eight of us at Notts from my old school and two at Nottingham Trent. I don't really see them, even though I was really good friends with two of them. Occasionally we'll meet up for a drink but that's about it.

Two of them are in the same hall as each other and know the same people but hang around in different groups. My boyfriend and I went to school together and are both in the same hall (self catered) but have different friends. It was hard at first, as he got really homesick and wanted to spend a lot of time around me and others from back home, but we've both made plenty of friends

Next year we're moving in together with the rest of my flatmates. He's more friendly with people off his course than his flatmates, whereas I'm the opposite! I guess it's because he often has 5/6 lectures a day whereas I only have 6 in a week.

ReputationRep:
    im hopefully going to st and's however no one from my school is there or going there lol! talk bout billy no mates!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.